Search results

1. jbv

Campion EX, last year made in Canada?

stopped at Howich marine today, they've got a whole row of Campion's in stock for sale. none this time last year, now they are sitting on inventory as rates have gone insane and buying as slowed right down. anyways, my first time checking one out. very nice. seems roomy and comfortable compared...
  2. jbv

Campion Explorer 542 opinions

while i'm at it i might as well ask about this boat, which i believe is very common. another smallish, not high end boat that looks like it would be fairly comfortable and have a bit of storage. made in BC. varying opinions on the web in general, some say the hulls are too thin, some say the...
  3. jbv

Trophy 1802 opinions

wondering if any of you have experience with Trophy boats, especially the 1802. looks great on paper as an alternative to a DE 17, with more room and comfort features. not a super high end craft i gather, but are they decent boats? solid and seaworthy? my aspirations do not require a huge boat...
  4. jbv

so many aluminum boat builders!

so lemme see just how many companies are making welded tin boats on the west coast. only 2 main ones in Canada, far as i know. Kingfisher and Silver Streak. i guess big fancy boats from Daigle marine in Campbell River where i'm at, but they are essentially a custom boat. then we've got...
  5. jbv

catch and release mortality studies

i've read lots of threads, discussions, disputes and some downright nasty conversations about this controversial topic and finally found a research organization while searching UBC salmon studies. it's very interesting and thought i should post here (if it hasn't already been)...
  6. jbv

Ling cod

i heard a story a while back, wondering if it's true. i was told that there was a period of time (long time) when ling's were strictly off limit, a closed fishery. the guy said that due to the ease of catching them, they were nearly wiped out on the inside waters and fishing for them again is a...
  7. jbv

how much do new boats cost?

i look online at various 18 footers that interest me. Hewes, Duck, Silverstreak, Kingfisher, etc. it's not like trucks that you can 'build and price', it's all a big secret. no prices anywhere, not on dealers, no MSRP. so what do these things cost, 20? 30? 80?
  8. jbv

plug techniques

i've been fishing on friend's boats for the last few years so i'm still learning. now have a small old boat and i'm keen to develop some skills and to drop the in line flasher and fish with plugs. i like them on the lake, i like the action and the faster trolling speed. i just like plugs and...
  9. jbv

can you make a hard top into a soft top?

might seem like a stupid question, but i've never owned a boat and i'm looking at this beauty. i'd really rather prefer a soft top for the roominess.
  10. jbv

Hourston 17 (was rental) advice

Gentlemen. looking at a 17 Hourston that has not been set up for fishing. is/was a rental like those in Sewells marina. it is underpowered with a 60hp motor but otherwise in good shape and newish, 2008. owner says it's bare bones but rock solid, not all kitted out for fishing but can be...
  11. jbv

how to bonk a fish (and should you bleed?)

couple of questions from a novice who has done pretty well so far this year. had a good few days at Nootka and watching a lot of seasoned fishermen. 1. i gather everyone kills by bonking. i wish we had a bigger bonker on board for one big hit. i felt like a tool bashing a fish 3 or 4 times to...
  12. jbv

kitetale flashers

anyone using them and like them? i have a dislike of the big flashers and their massive drag....
  13. jbv

Cougar Creek on a long weekend

my buddy and i are thinking of going for BC weekend. we know it would be busy but i'm wondering just how busy. is it a complete gong show? i have no desire to sleep in the truck or be around all night partying. just how bad does it get? are we talking hundreds of vehicles showing up and no place...
  14. jbv

kitty coleman/Lazo fishing reports

there used to be a number of guys posting in the area for KC, Lazo bouys, Denman and other areas. where'd they all go? maybe i just can't locate them.
  15. jbv

Minn Kota Traxxis 33 and battery for sale

Used for about 10hrs total over 2 yrs. Like new. Works well, sips power. Extra long battery cord, can easily be shortened. Telescopic handle, also comes with extension which was a $30 accessory. $250. nautilis marine battery (group 27) always on trickle charger, 2 yrs old. Comes with...
  16. jbv

where are the pinks?

no pinks around the Comox Valley yet as far as i can see or tell. do you know any different?
  17. jbv

no coho this year?

with the onset of normal seasonal rains unlike the last couple years, did the coho go straight up the rivers? i haven't seen sight of a jumping salmon this year. none. haven't heard any reports, nada. is it still a bit early?
  18. jbv

Comox lake

such a beautiful lake, nearly crystal clear. so few fish! is it just me or does this lake give up it's fish very reluctantly. other than small cutties is there any other species in this lake? looks so dam fishy, but it ain't...
  19. jbv

how are VI rivers doing in your experience/opinion??

i've lived on the Island for 7 yrs. i've met a lot of interesting folks in my line of work, and have paid close attention to environmental issues and natural resources for many years. i have heard that (from a Forest Stewardship Council auditor and a number of professional foresters) that the...
  20. jbv

where do you service your boat/motor? (CV to CR area)

so as i consider getting a boat, i guess i better figure out how and where to get it serviced. i only know Parker Marine as it's close by and hard to miss. there seems to be some big shops like Ocean Pacific in CR. where do you guys trust your boats to? is there any diff in price anywhere or...
Back