Search results

1. rowswell

12 foot Tinny Refit

That looks like a great job! I had a 14' Lund that I inherited from my dad ~30 years ago. It was a great boat - easy to launch anywhere and as long as you watched your day, could be used anywhere I use my current 21' Campion and was much easier to launch single handed. I took it everywhere on...
  2. rowswell

The Throw Back Reports Thread

Late to the game, but not so interested in a prize anyway..... My throwback is to a time Beach Camping & fishing with my son, then aged 11, in Clayoquot several years ago. I fish naked spoons on spinning rods and as we came around a corner, we hit a shelf and I had to raise the gear fast - and...
  3. rowswell

2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Went out to 10 mile looking for halibut. Got my one almost as soon as I stopped so only fished for an hour or so. Coho everywhere as well as dolphins & birds - lots of bait so that must have been what brought everything together. Only thing missing were whales...... Fished with a spinning rod...
  4. rowswell

Preliminary 2018 salmon outlook/Forecast/Management Measures

I'm interested that the discussion on "why" we have a problem in the fishery is focussed so strongly on "who" has been overfishing. As noted in comments above, I think we have a long history of rape and pillage of the fishery in this part of the world and the fishing industry is a huge political...
  5. rowswell

Scotty red stopper beads

Like others, I use the beads only for temp setups as I find they slide too easily on the braid. Most often I use them as stoppers to prevent the clips from sliding upwards on the braid. As I often fish a "naked" spoon or bait over a dummy flasher, this makes sure the 2 stay far enough apart...
  6. rowswell

2016 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

Never sure whether to post these reports here or on the Bamfield /Barkley Sound Forum. Posted last weeks trip there, so changing things up this week & posting to this forum............. Took advantage of another good fcst yesterday to drive over to Port Alberni & run out to 10 mile from...
  7. Off Cape Beale

Off Cape Beale

Flat Calm at 10 Mile. Lighthouse visible on right
  8. Off Cape Beale

Off Cape Beale

Offshore Fishing
  9. rowswell

Surge brake adjustments?

On my ezloader, you can test the actuator by slipping a long blade screwdriver into the opening on the bottom & manually operate the brakes. If you have the trailer wheels off the ground, then its easy to check if the wheels are getting any braking force. If the actuator strokes OK with the...
  10. rowswell

2006 Yamaha T8 Gas in Oil ( crankcase )

FWIW I've had the same problem with my kicker (Tohatsu 8hp) from new & it now has ~600 hours. Like you trolled the web for hours & found lots of posts on "making oil", almost all referring to kickers. Assume from my reading the issue is because I've only run it as a kicker & never properly...
  11. rowswell

Clutesi boat launch at low tide

ditto albernifisher re no issues any tide except current. Only thing I've found is that the concrete can be a little broken up at the lowest tide level so if your boat is prone to easy back sliding, you want to be careful that it stays put if you bounce a bit - esp on retrieval. I'm on bunks &...
  12. rowswell

2016 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Off Cape Beale by rowswell posted Sep 19, 2016 at 9:27 AMTook advantage of a beautiful day & mirror calm waters offshore Thursday to run out to 10 mile from Clutesi. Got a 95cm Halibut, a 75cm spring & a couple of Copper Rockfish (or Quillback? - I can never be sure of the difference) before...
  13. rowswell

2016 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Walked the dogs at the Big Q hatchery yesterday. Expected to see fish after the rains in early Sept, but nil fish in the pens & all gates down, keeping any fish below the bridge. Water levels very low, so they must be controlling at the Horne lake end to keep the run from starting. Only a few...
  14. rowswell

Great Repair Service from Scotty!

Had another impressive Service experience from Scotty this week & wanted to share it. On my boat, I have a pair of Scotty downriggers that are both over 15 years old that get regular use 12 months of the year on both sides of the Island. Over the years, they have given me great service &...
  15. rowswell

Lantzville if you want to be pedantic about it (I think most residents would protest loudly that they aren't Nanaimo) :) (FWIW fished there a lot this summer, mostly as the only boat & never been skunked)
  16. rowswell

Out this Pm from S Cove for 1st time in > a week as winds have kept me home (as they have much of August!!). Fished over slack for an hour and a bit. Released an ~70cm wild coho that hit when I was dropping lines the 1st time & kept a 72 cm white hatchery chinook that hit an hour later. Lost a...
  17. rowswell

Fished the mid day swing for a couple of hours each day over the weekend - between Dorcas and Ballenas Fri and Sat and outside of Winchelsea Sunday. After the big winds last week, lots of junk floating & weed along the tide lines at slack that kept clogging up the kicker prop. Algae in the top...
  18. rowswell

Launched at noon today for the 1st time since Herring jigging a month + ago. Fished off Dorcas Pt for a couple of hours. 1 chinook at 71 Cm, 1 undersize, long release on another & a grey cod. All on the line at 200' with a 4" green & white spoon over a dummy flasher. Several fish at the dock as...
Back