Search results

1. Slayr

2017 OFFISHALL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Moon jellyfish do not leave the goo like lions main. Also if you cut jellyfish in half you're creating two jellyfish :confused:
  2. Slayr

Crossing Georgia Strait

That's exactly the info I was looking for thank you!
  3. Slayr

Crossing Georgia Strait

No worries thanks for the correction, makes things little easier :D Do you or does anyone know if the east or west side of Texada going north is safer. We're planning on staying east of Texada and being able to duck out in the Jervis inlet if the winds pick up, unless that's not a good idea...
  4. Slayr

Crossing Georgia Strait

Alex_c "Depends on wind direction and tides. If the tides, currents and winds are moving in the same direction from deep water to shallow water, the waves really whip up I have found." Ah that's good info, I was thinking wind against tide would create steep high breakers. So now I'm watching...
  5. Slayr

Crossing Georgia Strait

Thanks for that site, I see halibut bank is down for maintenance till Aug 11... Sentry shoal is all good, it led me to find the environment Canada site so I have that saved on my phone now along with north of Nanaimo forcast. (past 24 hrs Sentry Shoal 46131)...
  6. Slayr

Thank you! yeah pretty much not going to do that then :eek: It does look like it's calming down in a day or two.
  7. Slayr

I'm wondering if anyone has crossed the Strait of Georgia today and if so what the wave height is? Seems the weather buoy for halibut bank is down. Will be cruising in a 22-foot sailboat from Howe Sound to Desolation sound tomorrow morning and expecting 20 kt + winds. Thanks!
  8. Slayr

Crossing Georgia Strait

Hi all, we are making a first-time Voyage from Howe Sound to Desolation sound in a 22-foot sailboat. Looks like Northwest and Southeast winds ranging from five to 25 knots over the next 24 hrs. Looking like it's 18 knots this evening... we're wondering if anyone has any idea of how big the...
  9. Slayr

On water towing service experience

Intermittent starter failure? Might try tapping it gently with a hammer if it happens again...
  10. Slayr

What is this shrimp?

Horned shrimp Yum?
  11. Slayr

RATS

Haha sure someone has at some point! Was thinking that too. Must be a slow day of fishing if we're all talking about catching rats
  12. Slayr

RATS

Used a few shots of pepper spray under the car... Sucked when I had to do work on it months later and rubbed my eyes so not recommended if you do your own repairs
  13. Slayr

The hwy entrance to porteau is a slush Fest, as well as the parking lot.
  14. Slayr

OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Boat ramp open at Porteau. Top 1/4 iced up so would be very difficult to retrieve. Recommend serious chains or stay home with hot chocolate!
  15. Slayr

Ya no worries, Howe sound is a strange beast! I like watching the storms on WindyTV though. Sorry and on to the reports, OH incase anyone wants to know... launch at porteau is iced over and hwy gates closed due to icy entrance and 8" of snow.
  16. Slayr

33 gusting to 41 kt at pam rocks according to enviro can. WindyTV says 3 kt lol, I don't trust windyTV for Howe sound but it's pretty to look at! Maybe im using it wrong...
  17. Slayr

Wild Mushroom Picking - Chanterelles

Those look like winter chanterelle's aka (yellow foot) the stem should be hollow if you split it in half. Great on pizza! It's the right season for them, but obviously get someone experienced to ID for you.
  18. Slayr

Lost kayak and gear in Howe Sound, swam for 4 hours!

Holy cow the yak came back the very next day! Not sure if it was the Coast Guard or just some crazy luck. Will update when I hear more details.
Back