Search results

1. S

Port Renfrew Reports Summer 2012

Went to Renfrew on the weekend with my dad an eight year old son. It's spotty out there for springs, but got lucky Saturday evening at Eastpoint and picked up a 29 and a 32 in our first hour on the water (fishing away from the pack). Only got a 20 at Walbran on Sunday. Let my eight year old...
  2. S

Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

It's on! How about biggest salmon? Catching medium size lings is coontastic, but keeping big ones might be frowned upon.
  3. S

Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Snake Island? You can't catch fish there! Just kidding man, see you up there.
  4. S

Where to find Cutthroat in Cowichan Lake

I start fishing cutties in Cowichan in late October and fish till April. I find the most productive time is late November to the end of January. You can get them any time, but that is when I have had the best success fishing plugs shallow.
  5. S

I cast as far as I can and then let a bunch more line out, I guess probably 75-100 feet back. I havent tried tubbys yet, I will one day. I do find cutties to like a pretty fast troll, change up the speed once in a while can trigger hits, and they often hit when the boat is making a turn. Good...
  6. S

Yes, I do pull the pins and flatline all the time. Lots of guys use downwriggers and are very successful, but for trout? Not my game. I like to pull the pins because I fish so tight to shore and cover debris where the biguns are there is a lot of snag-ups. When you are snagged and can't get...
  7. S

I do not have a rainbow plug in my box, but I know some guys that have success with them. I think that any colour will work if the action of the plug is good. Not all plugs are created equal, you can fish two plugs of the same colour at the same time and one will outfish the other. You want...
  8. S

Best Fish Ever

I caught and released this lunker 62cm cutthroat in Cowichan Lake on Nov 13 this year. It is my personal biggest. I caught it on a 4" #712 tomic plug, no weight or downwriggers.
  9. S

Yeah two of the fish still had lampreys on them when we landed them, ugly mofo's. Caught them shallow and tight I dont use weights or downriggers, 4" tomics pulled pins with a 3/0 hook.
  10. S

Hit the lake on Saturday, not a bite till afternoon. No lunkers like last trip but caught three oversize 52.5cm, 51cm, and 50.5cm. http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt34/rockstick/PC1107052-1.jpg http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt34/rockstick/PC1107081.jpg...
  11. S

I caught it on a 4"-#712 tomic plug (Skunk). Yes it was released.
  12. S

I caught this lunker cuttie on Nov 13, it is my personal biggest and the second biggest in my boat. 62cm and about 7lbs! 4" tomic - no weight. As for where anylize the photo.
  13. S

Flaked Brine Ice in Winter Harbour

Just got back from winter. The ice is good, nice and fine so no lumpy dented fish thanks fishyboy. The fishing was good too, no monsters for us but we had a great time.
  14. S

crabbin Maple bay

A few years ago I dropped the pots in Burgoyne Bay directly across from Maple Bay and got the four biggest crabs in my life 8 7/8-9" rock hard with barnacles. Went back a month later and nothing, they do migrate. You're better off to run to Cowichan Bay it is consitently exellent, I limit...
  15. S

Cowichan Lake??

I was out last weekend(saturday) and thought fishing was pretty good. We won what was probably the smaller of the two derbies. We watched boat after boat running west and we caught all of our fish east of the narrows. No oversize for us, but hooked 13 fish the biggest was 50cm. I use only...
  16. S

Prawn Heads for Crab Bait?

Yup prawn heads work great for crabs, awesome acutally. If they are big enough to stay in the bait cage. Check your crabtraps often every half hour cause they clean the heads out fast. I don't know if they keep for later use, I have only used them fresh while prawning. good luck. chris
  17. S

prawning dummies!!!!

Leave the traps at home, you will need that space for bringing all of your huge fish back. Bring more coolers instead. I have found there to be a lot of hagfish(slime eels) there, what a huge mess. Crabbing used to be spectacular there but the sea otters have moved in thick and crabs are hard...
  18. S

Port Renfrew 2009 Season

Spent the last week at Renfrew hit the water three times, got two 12lb springs off Camper and lots of crabs. Most boats seemed to be picking a salmon off here and there, but I did'nt see any big ones caught. Nice and shallow just like August. Probably would have caught more but the trips were...
  19. S

halibut uv grubs and hootchies

Winter harbour is great, I go the first or second week of July every year. There is no need for special hali gear there, we use 8oz needlefish jigs on our salmon rods at 200' deep off Grants Bay 15-25lb halis all day long and we catch quite a few 30+ springs and lings at the same place at the...
Back