Search results

1. coastalmarinesafety

Nootka Fishing zones

They won’t be flasher shy. But just talk to the groups there when you arrive, if you go to a lodge/resort. The folks at the cleaning table will tell you what is working and where, wind dependent. Everyone is pretty honest about what they tried, what worked, what didn’t. Squid might be there at...
  2. coastalmarinesafety

Guide licensing

Only took 50 posts to get an up to date answer on the original post. Thanks for this.
  3. coastalmarinesafety

Guide licensing

Any significant new licensing regime like that for “commercial sport fishing” would involve quite a bit of consultation and wouldn’t be just a rumour. The SFI and those on the regional boards would hear about it and send out notice. If that hasn’t happened, then likely not being proposed at...
  4. coastalmarinesafety

Guide licensing

it’s Transport Canada and the RCMP that will take issue with non-pleasure craft operations without C#, SVOP, stability, etc. Send TC in Victoria the names and info of the guys giving the rest of the industry a bad or unsafe name.
  5. coastalmarinesafety

Prawn Traps Stuck on Bottom

If you haven’t already, perhaps post the rough location and I think someone on here will DM you and be happy to help with either a stronger davit puller or a bigger boat to pull off a cleat. Ghost gear and lost line really sucks, so don’t cut it just yet. Worst case, report it to the DFO report...
  6. coastalmarinesafety

Downrigger ball rubber snubber

Scotty for the win. Do not accept the non Scotty knock offs is the moral I guess. That’s likely how I got burned before. But now just run the Scotty sure stopper system and it’s perfect. I still dispose of the first 15’ of braid each year and retie knotts to make sure. I honestly can’t believe...
  7. coastalmarinesafety

Maybe the Scotty brand ones are better. The local tackle shop around here was selling their own very similar version for a while and those would break easily. Kind of gave them all a bad name. The Scotty sure stop is a good product and they do make one a pro version with a rubber snubber. I’d...
  8. coastalmarinesafety

They are junk. They are meant to break after too little force in my opinion and results in lost balls when a gangion line system would save the ball. For example, the sure stopper system Scotty makes is far superior than that blue rubber snubber and you’ll lose way less balls. Haven’t lost a...
  9. coastalmarinesafety

2023 Campbell River Reports

Geoduck- likely the big geoduck farm dive boats, as there is a big seafloor geoduck farm all over that area. Or perhaps commercial crab.
  10. coastalmarinesafety

Salmon Point Depth for Chinook

Green can area- Day time they tend to go deeper. All the jigging guys get their chinooks pretty shallow there this time of year (when winds aren’t like they’ve been). First light/early morning and the last 3 hours of the evening the chinooks tend to come back in shallower in good numbers. Find...
  11. coastalmarinesafety

DFO rules when jigging for lingcod/rockfish & a salmon hits instead

Officer discretion, there is always that. I wonder, in some cases, if it may come down to some sort of test on whether a reasonable person using a herring like jig or something else mimicking something salmon are well known to feed on, ought to expect that they are in fact not just fishing for...
  12. coastalmarinesafety

2023 Campbell River Reports

The fishing is so easy up here, no rod or downrigger needed, you can just hand bomb them in ;). But to add to this reply and add my 2 cents… if it happens to be a bit of a snotty SE off south end of Quadra, make the run 25 min north through Seymour narrows and fish the spots around Brown’s Bay...
  13. coastalmarinesafety

2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Yup! Had best success past several years running 6-7’ chovie leader off bead chain, no flasher. Key with chovies (for me) always been a tight bullet roll. Any flop, no point in dropping inmho, reset hook position or whatever till you get that tight tight roll. But at 17.50/pack; a skinny or wee...
  14. coastalmarinesafety

Best B.C. based fishing show

I also really like when they focus on the gear used and tactics for that time of year in that location.
  15. coastalmarinesafety

Best B.C. based fishing show

What’s your favourite B.C. based fishing show and why?
  16. coastalmarinesafety

2022 Campbell River Reports

Let us know how you do. I think it’s been ok at the LH. Down deep. We should be fishing sockeye by now though. Test fishing numbers not good. They are MIA compared to last time they came through on a “big run” year. Weird.
  17. coastalmarinesafety

2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Fish Hoise or Coopte in lieu. Numbers might or might not be there but put your time in and you’ll get some decent ones. Some fish have moved inside and are doing their rounds while they stage. Good luck!
  18. coastalmarinesafety

Nootka timing changes a bit year to year. You’ll be just outside the window for the prime inside fishing most likely as Chinook get lock jaw and tend not to bite as much 2nd week of August, so you’ll need to just ask those who have been there a while where the bites have been and what time. If...
  19. coastalmarinesafety

Which closure on 15th do you mean?
  20. coastalmarinesafety

45 minutes to an hour depending on which spot nearshore you want to fish. You could map it out in navionics webapp for distance and then factor in speed to get ETA to your desired fishing spot.
Back