Search results

1. merrittboy1

Lingcod, Rockfish rod reel?

I use a Shimano Trevala halibut rod with my 330gti. Want something a bit lighter for cod, rockfish. Might give the Warfare setup a try. Good price. Not using it everyday.
  2. merrittboy1

My son and a buddy have squalls. I tried one, like it. Have a 330 GTI that is like for halibut.
  3. merrittboy1

Will look into this setup. What kind of rod?
  4. merrittboy1

Am starting to get into lingcod, rockfish more so was wondering what a reasonably priced rod, reel combo is. Let me know what you use. Thanks.
  5. merrittboy1

Brand new scotty 2106 downriggers for sale

Braid anytime. Easier to work with for me and no metal slivers!
  6. merrittboy1

2019 Port Renfrew Reports

There are some around but a lot of time on water to get a few. Even fewer hatchery. Good luck. Hope that you get better weather and water. Over last 4 days fished 100 to 650 ft. Some pretty dirty water.
  7. merrittboy1

Rain, rain and rain. Couple of days coho hunting, only 1 wild. Anybody having any luck!
  8. merrittboy1

Ok who hit the Tyee mark this year ???

most of my fish mid teens to low 20’s. Did release an upper 20’s in late July before 80 cm rule came off but didn’t have a scale so wasn’t sure but lot bigger than others I caught. To tell you the truth I really don’t need anything bigger than the mid to upper teens. Plenty of fish for me and...
  9. merrittboy1

Side of boat, rod?

I definitely have noticed this. I fish port because I operate the boat. Most turns are to port side. I can see that being a factor.
  10. merrittboy1

Question

So how exactly hooked up now? You knot green line with rigger line?
  11. merrittboy1

Question

Interesting setup. You actually attach your clip line to the swivel and everything comes up together? No issues going thru end of rigger bar pulley? I might try this, can see how it would get more out of the way.
  12. merrittboy1

Side of boat, rod?

We noticed an interesting pattern this year. We fish different rods, mine 9ft, but use the same flashers and same teaser heads. My rod would outfish others easily. Would even change sides to test, no kidding the rod would still out catch. Could it be how one person baits anchovy over another...
  13. merrittboy1

Rod length, 9 vs 10.5?

Great responses, thanks. Is there actually a real advantage to longer or just preference?
  14. merrittboy1

Rod length, 9 vs 10.5?

I have been using a 9ft Sea King for almost 3 seasons. Catches fish. Have a longer Convergence but stick with Sea King. It has duct tape for knob, eyes are crooked, lol. I found out Canadian Tire sells them for 40 bucks. Catches fish, lol.
  15. merrittboy1

Rod length, 9 vs 10.5?

Been using an old 9 ft rod for last couple of years. Just like it, works for me and makes netting easier. What are others thoughts? Most of the rods I see on other boats are 10.5. Am I missing something? Longer rods better overall? Opinions?
  16. merrittboy1

Solo, how do you fight your fish?

I fish by myself a lot, 24 ft Trophy. I hardly ever use two rods. Too much hassle for me. I get my share of fish using just the one. If the water is perfect and few boats around I will try two rods. When hooked up if open area put motor in neutral, start plying fish. Will move rigger...
  17. merrittboy1

Great season! Teaser heads and flashers?

I am done for season, caught plenty of springs mostly in upper teens and low twenties. Was wondering what combinations people use for anchovies. Myself I have used bloody nose and gold Betsy only for last three years. Works fantastic. Never change. Share your setups!
  18. merrittboy1

Which is your boat Reel Slim? I went into Woods Nose zoo for like two minutes then outta there. By the way is the new boundary marker govt wharf? Lol. Guys are way past the maker. Surprised guys aren’t hooking crab traps.
  19. merrittboy1

Stay out of blue area on ur gps. But there are a couple spots that are not marked that jump up and get you. I agree with other comment that if you stay out in 60 ft area you are safe. And you don’t need to fish the zoo to get nice fish. I think they are catching a lot of smaller fish at...
  20. merrittboy1

Lots of cannon balls.
Back