Search results

1. poet1971

Advice for bottom painting

Hi Guys, Last year I moored my boat for a month and a half. This year I'm going to Moore if again, so I figure I had better get the bottom done. But this is new to me. Can anyone make a recommendation on where to have it done, what I should have done, how long it takes, and roughly what if...
  2. poet1971

Sunbrella VS Top Gun Fabric for a dodger

Hi Everyone, Well I just pulled Mariah out and am getting her ready for another season. I want to give her a new enclosure this year. What is everyone's experience with Sunbrella vs Top Gun fabric for the dodger?:cool:
  3. poet1971

Greys or Humpbacks?

Hey everyone, I need some help. The last few times I've been out we saw a bunch of whales out in front of Sooke. I have been told they were Grey whales by some, and Humpbacks by others. Which is it?
  4. poet1971

Giving away vintage fridges for smoking.

Hey everyone. I have an old vintage Philco fridge (the type with the rounded corners). Needs to be cleaned up a bit, but last time I checked it was still working. I know guys have converted these into smokers. If anyone would like it, it's free to a good home. Actually a friend of mine has...
  5. poet1971

Victoria Fish Processing

Hey guys, This may have been covered in past forums, but I can't find it. So sorry if this is a repeat. Does anyone know a good place in the Victoria area to have salmon canned? And maybe smoked and canned. I found St Jean's in Nanaimo, but if there's a good local place, I'm in. Any...
  6. poet1971

Tips and tricks

I thought I would see if this thread takes off. This is a thread for people to share tips, tricks, and shorts cuts. Here's and example: I don't have a wash down pump. Until now, what I have done to get blood and slime off the decks is sluice it down with water, wipe it down with a sponge...
  7. poet1971

Trailer axle help.

Hi everyone. I need to replace/rebuild the axle on my 87 Caulkins trailer. Princess Auto does not stock one that would fit. Can anyone suggest a place to have one build, buy one that fits, or will be build mine. Thanks, Darren
  8. poet1971

Canopy rebuild.

Hi everyone, Now that the good weather is here I am going to take off my Dodger canopy. While it's off I wanted to have it "freshened up". It needs a few new snaps, a new plastics window put in and a few holes patched. Vs anyone recommend someone that does canopy work. I'm looking for...
  9. poet1971

UHF general chatter.

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if there is a general chatter channel on the UHF. I know 16 is for help and Coast Guard monitors. Any other channels to listen in on? Poet1971
  10. poet1971

Lost Anchor System

Hey Everyone, Well Sunday was a little rough. The short story is that I had to come off my anchor system, and had no motor to get back to it to recover. A buddy of mine went to look for it on Monday but couldn't find it. Either the scotchman was under, or someone picked it up already. I'm...
  11. poet1971

How's the Hali going?

I just wanted to start a thread to see how the season is going. I'm not looking for spots and secrets, just a place for bragging. I went out yesterday and got a 25 lb and a 75 lb. great day! Who else wants to bag?
  12. poet1971

Cannon Ball Molds

Hey everyone. I melted a bunch of lead today to make downrigger balls. Rather than buy, I thought I would see if I could borrow a cannon ball mold for 12 and/or 15 lbs balls (preferably finned). Since they are pretty unbreakable, I figured it would be something we could loan around. Along the...
  13. poet1971

Where are all the crab?

Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows where the crab are around Victoria. I want to drop my traps next week and I'm looking for the best place to drop them. Tips?
  14. poet1971

Crabbing and Prawning

Hey everyone, I just got my first boat and am new to a few things. I have done some crabbing before and know that Pedder and Sooke harbor are good spots. I dropped in Pedder Bay last weekend and struck out. What is anyone hearing for crabbing spots? Also, I have never prawned before...
Back