Search results

1. Doug

2024 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

I've used the downriggers at Constance bank while the water is flowing fast and it works well. You can also hook your bait sent bag to the DR and then let about 10 ft of halibut line out from the pinch clip. But I only use the DR in less than 200 ft of water.
  2. Doug

Cuts of meat on sale

Just got back from QF and picked up 8 steaks. All nicely trimmed and nice big tenderloins. Steaks are in two packages and all the two packages I saw range in price from $18 to $22 or $9 to $11 a steak. They are not 1 inch thick like I usually purchase but for the price I will eat them.
  3. Doug

Cuts of meat on sale

QF Foods has AAA Black Angus, T Bone steak on sale for $9.99 Sale ends March 27th I purchased 7 of them at the last sale on Feb 7th and they were great and I usually don't buy meat at QF. Look back at my Feb 7th post to see steak photos.
  4. Doug

I agree, the tide flow was fast and our 2 lb balls were fishing 2 miles behind us and most of the time not on bottom. Not even the dog fish could swim in it. Then it slowed down by 10 In the Oak Bay area you have to watch your sonar and see the bottom texture because there are some nasty jagged...
  5. Doug

Tigerprawn, those two fish you got are just about 9% difference in weight and both the same size. I guess skinny and fat fish. What is the largest halibut on the leader board at Pedder Bay? A friend who also fished in Oak Bay on Sunday said he had none stop action and had 8 on in 6 hours and...
  6. Doug

Got out fishing with a friend today out Oak Bay. Started at 8 and until 10 the tide flow was way to fast and we never got a bite of anything. 10 to 12, hooked into 12 big big dog fish which screwed 8 leaders. 1215 got a 90 cm halibut and then at 1 we got another big one, 123 cm at 50lb. All...
  7. Doug

Got a call from a friend, Brave Angel (Keith Brown) asking if I would like to go out halibut fishing with him. Sure, I've got the bait, rods and Hook sets ready to go. I met him at Oak Bay Marina today at 645 to load up the boat. He had never halibut fish on his boat before, but had all the...
  8. Doug

Your Hotrod or Classic Car Pics

[/MEDIA] Must be a small block Chev. to sound like that and. sounds the same as mine. It sounds great and probably the Canso sounds the same. Both the Canso and Acadian are nice rides. The engine dress up on the Canso is well done.
  9. Doug

Your Hotrod or Classic Car Pics

With receiving collector plates for our vehicles, it was recommended to get an appraisal done. The reason being that if the car was trashed, disappeared, or burned to the ground you need some documentation of the vehicles condition at a set time. I shopped around and found Van Isle Auto...
  10. Doug

What's For Breakfast This Morning :)

Back home for my BC fisherman’s breakfast. Toasted bagel, cream cheese, cappers, cucumber, and lox. Every year I send the largest red salmon fillets into St Jeans to get lox made. We eat ½ a package for breakfast and the other ½, the next day as an appetizer for dipping into some soya/wasabi.
  11. Doug

Fished the mud hole area and there were five boats near by. 1.5 ft chop. 5 big dog fish a rat fish in 4 hours and then a 57lb halibut, then a 10lb halibut which we let go think we would get a bigger one. NOT That was it for the halibut and at the dock the one of the other boats near us came in...
  12. Doug

Halibut trips for sportfishing b.c. Members

Got a call from Roy at Blue Wolf, late yesterday. He asked if I want to go fish and do some BSing. SURE, got my gear and bait ready. I guess the 7th was not booked. So it was a friend fishery day and starting at 730 Fished the mud hole area and there were five boats near by. 1.5 ft chop, but...
  13. Doug

Cuts of meat on sale

I was at QF View Royal yesterday to pick up some $5 Friday items (10lb potatoes) and noticed fresh chicken leg were on sale for $1 lb. I picked up a 6.17lb bag for $617 and there were 24 nice size legs and at a price of $.25 each. Got two packs of 12 legs and will be making up some soya, or...
  14. Doug

Coop marked gas with ethanol.

I took this photo Sept 25 when filling up at Coop
  15. Doug

Cuts of meat on sale

Quality Foods has nice-looking, Canadian AAA, T-Bone steaks with big eyes on sale $9.99 lb. I went to QF View Royal sold out and then I found some at QF Royal Bay. I normally don’t buy beef from QF but these steaks have nice marbling and big tenderloins. I think the sale ends Weds? Test package...
  16. Doug

What's for dinner tonight ?

Lamb Ossobuco night. Marinated lamb for two days and then slow roasted until it was fall off the bone. Added some veggie, Alfredo sauce with Fusilli Paesani pasta. Plus Greek salad Fusilli Paesani pasta has a great texture and flavor. We buy it at Boza Foods in Vancouver.
  17. Doug

Coop marked gas with ethanol.

I have always run marked fuel in my engines (Yamahas) and usually burn about $5,000+- per season. In all the engines I have owned I have always added Yamaha Ring Free Plus to the fuel and changed filters every 100 hours of operating. Here is a link to Yamaha Ring Free plus. Other outboards...
  18. Doug

Cuts of meat on sale

All types of Schneiders or Maple Leaf boneless hams (600 to 700g) on sale at Walmart. Regular price $12.47 on sale for $8.97 ($1.28 / 100 g) I was at QF foods, and the same hams were $18.00, but most things cost more there when not on sale.
  19. Doug

What's For SUPERBOWL?!

Salt and pepper wings and ribs, veggies and dips and a piece of Naan bread for the spinach dip. Washed down with Peroni beers which are reg priced at $29.99 and were on sale at Langford LCB for $19.99 so I tried them/ They were smooth, great flavor lager and from Italy at 33% off..
  20. Doug

What's for dinner tonight ?

Marinated, slow roasted pork shank, baked potato, Okinawa sweet potato, mix vegs. Washed down with a beer and a shot of Tito’s. If you have never had Okinawa purple sweet potatoes try one. They are great. Safeway $5 Fridays had Tito's 1.75 lt on sale for $32 us. Can't go wrong with that price.
Back