Search results

1. Capt. Red

2024 Sidney Reports

Apologizing for the ugly American a$$hat! I don’t know what is considered “newer”, but I have a 2006 Seasport and will be up there fishing the Sidney derby and don’t wish to be mistaken for that clown. Hopefully he does not have a black bootstripe!
  2. Capt. Red

Winter Harbour Lings

They get hit pretty hard in close, as others have said. We use Pipe Jigs mostly, and do well, but sometimes a grub tail kicks the Pipe Jigs butt. Also, you don’t always need a rock pile or drop off. A small hump will often kick out nice Lingers..
  3. Capt. Red

Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Ziggy, Apparently you are having a bad day, and mis-interpreted my post.... I am not asking for the same privileges as a Canadian or B.C residents gets, but I am against absolute gouging also. I am afraid that your reference to Hawaii is lost on me. Are you saying that if you or me as a tourist...
  4. Capt. Red

Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

Been watching this thread for quite a while, and agree with most of the points made, while not having an opinion on the state of, and positions on this issue, vis-a-vis Canadian politicians. That is your pot of chili and I have no business adding my .02 to it. . I do however take a little...
  5. Capt. Red

King crab traps

I picked a Ladner pot and gonna give it a whirl. May not catch a dang thing, but the adventure of prospecting will be fun!
  6. Capt. Red

King crab traps

Afternoon Gents, I was wondering if any of you actually got around to dropping some of these north of Port Hardy? If so, wonder if you would share if you had any luck? I wouldn't mind buying one and giving it a whirl, if the chances of success were more than zero. Hate to lug the weight and...
  7. Capt. Red

Iron Needle Lures - Now in full COLOUR!

Nick, I was hoping to run into you at Rivers Inlet. I heard rumors from Saanuuk that you would be there, but just never seemed to hook up with you. Darn it, really wanted to pick your brain about these a bit. I have used them, with pretty good success, but always looking for more intel. Maybe...
  8. Capt. Red

Winter Harbour Report

Traveller- Pulling a cut plug is my preferred method for Kings up there. We will occasionally use large spoons if the Coho are so thick we can't get a cut plug down through them.
  9. Capt. Red

Used a White/Green Nog's in the Homer, AK Winter King Derby last month. We did not win, but it nailed 2 fish, including a 21# white king. We nicknamed the lure "The Impaler", 'cuz the fish hit it so hard the hook went up thru the roof of the mouth and out the top of the head. Great lure!
  10. Capt. Red

Scotty Orca rod holders?

I used these for several years, and loved them.....Until one popped open one day and threw a 800$ combo overboard while trolling off a downrigger. Called Scotty and in their typical legendary customer service way, they sent me some bling, while telling me, and I am paraphrasing " Yeah, we have...
  11. Capt. Red

Ordered last Friday and can't wait to try them out! Great looking product, and if they perform as well as the originals did this year off WCVI, that will ROCK! Kinda sad I have to send my hard-earned money out of country to get quality products..... ( tongue firmly in cheek)
  12. Capt. Red

Sand Lance Spoon Vs. Nog's Needle

I had the opportunity to fish some of Nog's Needles this summer off WCVI, and they performed pretty darn well, catching both Springs and Silvers. Fishing for us was poor compared to the last couple of years, but the Needles caught fish just as well as the Cut Plug herring we usually use, so I...
  13. Capt. Red

Winter Harbour Report

Got back from a week up there last Thursday. Echo the comments above, it was way slower than last year! Between 2 boats, and 11 fishermen, fishing for 6 days, we scratched out about 30 springs, with the largest being 25#s. To the north/west was deader than a doorknob for springs ( glad I wasted...
  14. Capt. Red

Nog's Needle - The Good News

If mine show up before Wednesday ( ordered them the first night they were on sale ), I will have 3 of each up in Winter Harbour starting Thursday, if somebody up there needs to borrow one. Black on White Seasport, Montana numbers...... Capt. Red
  15. Capt. Red

Nootka tackle box must haves help

Travo, 6" Tomic spoons in the Pilchard patterns ( Kelly, Mike, etc) are my go-to gear when I run out of herring to cut-plug, or if the Silvers are just too thick to get down through, especially if you plan to fish the hiway.
  16. Capt. Red

Nog's Needle - The Good News

International Trade at it's best. This Yank now has some coming my way to unleash on unsuspecting Chinook! Piscatorial plunder is sure to follow........
  17. Capt. Red

Regulations on US residents returning with fish?

Direct Mule and Tubber, Thank you both for the information! While I know ignorance is no excuse, sometimes regulations are not written as clearly as a layman would like. I would like to also thank all you BC'ers for sharing your waters with us Yanks. I have had many pleasurable experiences...
  18. Capt. Red

Regulations on US residents returning with fish?

I would like to tack on an additional question for clarification. I hope someone on here can assist in helping keep me from running afoul of the law- In the past, I have come up for a week or so. Mid-way through the trip, 2 new friends would come up island and swap out with 2 of the guys...
  19. Capt. Red

Winter Harbour Report

Fishyboy, Thanks for the offer to try to post weekly. It will be August before we come up to Winter Harbour, but reading your reports will the dope that keeps this addict afloat until we do!! Capt. Red
  20. Capt. Red

Winter Harbour 2013

Heading up soon Guys, Thanks for all the reports on WH! I am heading up next Wednesday for a week, and after 10 years of fishing Nootka/Espy this will be our first trip to WH. Black on White Seasport, staying in a private cabin right across the road from Wayne Ridley's fish camp. Stop in...
Back