Search results

1. carpeweekend

2024 Sidney Reports

It is slim pickings for Hali in the Sidney area. I used to have some luck between Wymond Pt on Sidney Island and Darcy Island in around 240 - 350 feet of water but haven't even tried for a few years. The last few years of the Sidney Anglers members only derby hasn't produced much either. Good...
  2. carpeweekend

Ideas wanted for new tackle stations/storage inside the cabin

If you have a step to get up onto the gunnel, this was a neat idea to incorporate cannonball storage underneath the step.
  3. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

That was me. My one ton handles it well though.
  4. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

Final results from the Bamfield Tuna Derby. Congrats to Swell Dancer and crew. 4 hogs for the win. Epic week. Fishable water on 5 of the 8 days. Lots of fish about 60 miles out in Loudon Canyon. Fish were very large this year. Most fish were 21 -25 pounds and a few over 30 per the board...
  5. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

The fleet from the Bamfield Tuna Derby (including myself) will be heading offshore on Saturday so you shouldn't have any problem finding other boats (and hopefully tuna).
  6. carpeweekend

2023 Sidney Reports

In the "Sidney" area of 18, only the Pender side of Moresby is open (part of 18-4). Most people who reference "Coal" mean the area just south of Coal in area 19-5. Quick report. Afternoon fish at Wyman at the south end of Sidney Island on Monday with my Dad for his 86th birthday. Lots of...
  7. carpeweekend

What to do with white spring

I found this recipe for White Springs several years ago and it is awesome. 2 fillets of ivory (white spring) salmon with skin (3 oz/85 g each) Salt and freshly ground black pepper 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (more for drizzling) 1 tsp butter 3 tbsp chanterelle mushrooms 4 – 5 g green...
  8. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

This is a couple of days old but shows some fishable water around 60 -70 miles from Bamfield. Hopefully it moves in a little closer.
  9. carpeweekend

Tuna Fisherman Wanted - Sept 8th -12th

@Dave001 swiped right and is in. Will advise if anything changes. Who knew that Sportfishing BC could be like Tinder for fishermen?
  10. carpeweekend

Tuna Fisherman Wanted - Sept 8th -12th

Late notice but one of our crew has had to cancel for the Bamfield tuna derby which runs from Sept 9th - 16th. Have a buddy joining us on the 12th or 13th through the duration of the derby but we are one man short for the start of the derby (Sat) through to Tuesday. We get up to Bamfield on...
  11. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

Yes, the derby is on. It was full but according to the West Coast Tuna Fishing Facebook page, they had a couple of cancellations so they may have room? See you out there.
  12. carpeweekend

Coho or Chinook??

Hey gents, it is 2023 so it was likely a Coho that identified as a Spring. ;)
  13. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

Seems like the fish are much bigger this year. My brother is up in Haida Gwaii and saw a boat come back loaded with tuna, all between 25 and 35 pounds. Looking forward to the Bamfield derby.
  14. carpeweekend

CFR GL1 Mooching Reel?

So, here is my review on the CFR GL1 reel after using it on a few recent trips to Esperanza and Bamfield. It took a long time to get the reel but it is a small one man operation and all of their reels are custom. It was about $1000 so fairly comparable to a TR3 in price. Reel is pretty good...
  15. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

No. We just went out to the Rat's nose for hali. Weather didn't look conducive to getting out to the tuna so I never even took the gear with me to Bamfield.
  16. carpeweekend

2023 Sidney Reports

Took my 83 year old Mom out for an evening fish last night off of the open side of Moresby Island near Fairfax Point, to beat the heat and enjoy an epic evening. Joined 3 other boats around 6 pm. Lots of both fish and bait showing all over the water column. Dropped down a couple of...
  17. carpeweekend

Go Slow Whale Zone Port Renfrew to Bamfield

Thanks for the map. Are the coordinates published anywhere so you can punch them into your GPS?
  18. carpeweekend

Go Slow Whale Zone Port Renfrew to Bamfield

Planning a trip to Bamfield in a couple of weeks and may trailer to Port Renfrew rather than Port Alberni. Would head out early and work our way around to Bamfield, doing some fishing on the way. Weather dependent and would look at forecast the day prior. Does anyone have a good map of the...
  19. carpeweekend

2023 Tuna Adventures

Sept 9 -16th. It always starts the weekend after the September long weekend.
  20. carpeweekend

2023 Sidney Reports

Per the reports above, the Pinks are in the area. Assuming you are targeting them, Sidney spit and and Powder Wharf were flush with Pinks and there should be the odd Spring around too.
Back