Search results

1. hud52

2021 Sooke Reports

In late 2019 I donated a 5 hour fishing trip on my boat (with me, of course) as part of a fundraiser for the Victoria Art Gallery. With Covid hitting hard in early 2020 the people who purchased the trip were unable to use it. Fast forward to this past Thursday.......weather was perfect, and 3 of...
  2. hud52

2020 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

I, too, had quite the opposite experience during my stay at Critter Cove last weekend. Had our limit of springs each morning by 7:00 am at Hoiss Point. 35 to 60 feet on bait, white hootchies and coyote spoons. However, even if we didn't catch a lot of fish, Nootka Sound is a magical place...
  3. hud52

2018 Sooke Reports

DFO checked us at Becher Bay Marina as we were pulling the boat. Not on the water. At Becher Bay marina as we were pulling the boat out of the water.
  4. hud52

2018 Sooke Reports

Fished in 500' to 600' straight out from the trap shack from 8:30 till noon today. Caught one wild coho about 8 pounds at 90' with a blue and green skinny g and a betsy flasher. First time in the last three times out that we haven't been checked by fisheries.
  5. hud52

2018 Sooke Reports

Fished Aldridge to the Trap Shack and back on Sunday. Not even a sniff on our lines. Still a good trip as the purpose of the trip was to make sure the boat and equipment are in good shape for our annual Nootka trip, which is next week. Got stopped by Fisheries while we were taking the boat...
  6. hud52

Halibut opening

Can anyone tell me when halibut fishing opens this year? The fisheries and oceans site says it is closed until further notice. Thanks!
  7. hud52

2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

192 days until my first trip to Nootka this year. Always get excited about fishing this area.
  8. hud52

2017 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Critter from July 19th to 23rd. Jewitt Cove from the 23rd to 27th.......Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. hud52

2016 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Fishing Reports

What a fantastic upgrade! Should make launching and hauling much easier and less stressful............
  10. hud52

Good news everyone.... Take a look at this! Update: New Docks construction at Gold River waterfront is coming along nicely (Thursday, Sept 29, 2016). We have most of one side completed to date and the upstream side is next. Still another few more weeks of work to go but it is starting to look...
  11. hud52

From the Mowachaht Muchalaht Facebook Page: Gold River Boat Ramp Update (Monday, Sept 19, 2016): The MV Essington Pile Driver vessel has arrived in the Gold River harbour in Nootka Sound. Demolition and new construction will be starting this week and could last up to 4 weeks. Works on dry...
  12. hud52

Just got back from 8 days in Nootka. Had to work hard to find fish for the first six days, but inside fishing really came on yesterday and today. Hoiss Point was a gong show, with many boaters either not knowing what the rules of safe boating (fishing) are, or forgetting them. Saw many near...
  13. hud52

Online Auction To Raise Funds For RCMSAR 35, Victoria, New Type 1 Fast Response Vesse

The Victoria Marine Rescue Society is holding it's 2015 Online Charitable Auction to raise funds for a new Fast Response Rescue Craft for the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue Station in Victoria. The station's current vessel is at the end of it's life and the station needs something more...
  14. hud52

Road Trip to Moucha Bay Conuma and Westview/Tahsis

Geat report Spring Fever. Thanks! While I have been fishing Nootka for the past decade, I have never made if to Tahsis or beyond the Moutcha Bay turn-off on the road to Tahsis. Reading your article made me think that perhaps I should.
  15. hud52

Sand Lance Spoon

Peetz on Rock Bay Avenue has some in stock. I got mine there a week or two ago.
  16. hud52

2015 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just got back from 4 days at Critter Cove. Same result as Sangstercraft. 5 salmon and no groundfish. Good time though.
  17. hud52

Do you know how many fish the Gillnetters are allowed to take this year?
  18. hud52

Spent Sunday till Thursday fishing Nootka with 7 buddies. Great trip with lots of fish and tons of laughs. Fished Friendly Cove Monday and Tuesday where we limited out on springs then switched to coho gear (shortened leaders, Apex’s, plastic and metal stuff) and couldn’t keep the springs off...
  19. hud52

Nootka Sound Road and Boat Ramp

The road from Gold River to Moucha Bay is in great shape. I towed my 18 ft boat to Moutcha last week. Just be aware that there are a couple of significant hills, one an 18 percent grade that you will have to deal with. But at least that one is paved. Make sure your brakes are in good shape...
  20. hud52

Just got home from my first trip of the year to Nootka. Stayed at Critter Cove as we have for the past eight years. We arrived last Wednesday and set up camp, then fished on Thursday. Got three springs in Tahsis Inlet and lost many that day. Friday fishing slowed to a crawl and only managed to...
Back