Search results

1. B

2024 Powell River Reports

Hello, Heading to Powell River to scan for PIT tags under cleaning tables as part of ongoing ocean survival research (https://www.survivalbottlenecks.ca/). We are aware of cleaning tables on the two docks immediately north of the ferry terminal and at the boat launch. Also aware of the table at...
  2. B

Where are Sunshine Coast Cleaning Tables

Thanks for the responses! We actually lower the antenna down with weights on a rope... so it works well... And regarding the otters etc... most often the tags are loose in the body cavity... so even if something grabs the guts and eats them... is is more likely that the tag will end up on the...
  3. B

Where are Sunshine Coast Cleaning Tables

Hi Folks As part of ongoing PIT tag research (https://www.survivalbottlenecks.ca/) we are conducting scans of the outfalls of cleaning tables looking for tags that washed out of harvested fish (they last indefinitely if not crushed). We will shortly be scanning tables on the Sunshine Coast and...
  4. B

Christmas Shellfish on the Island

4.5 feet and falling at 7 pm on Boxing day. Depending on the age of the kids could have some fun with head lamps on the beach. https://www.tides.gc.ca/en/stations. I would say below 6 feet you are starting to get into clam territory. Oysters can be had even higher.
  5. B

Wanted, Barkley Marine "Qualicum" oar (7'6")

Hi, Broke the blade of one of the tyee boat oars. Anyone have one of these old spoon blade oars hiding in a garage. If not would also be interested in purchasing alternative pair of 7'6 or 8' traditional wood oars. Thanks!
  6. B

Brown's Bay

Ran through (not fishing) day before yesterday and tons of Jumpers through deep water area. Saw a couple boats hooked up. More fish that I expected to see given test fishery results
  7. B

2023 Sooke Reports

Hi Folks. I am involved with the UVic Adult Salmon Diet Program(see link). We normally deal just with Chinook and Coho salmon guts, but the unusual appearance of numbers of Mackerel in JDF at the same time many juvenile salmon are out-migrating is interesting and concerning. We would like to get...
  8. B

2023 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Once the project gets going results will definitely be communicated... At this stage we are just testing gear though...
  9. B

2023 Campbell River Reports

Hi All Testing some scientific echosounder and camera equipment in the next few days so will be looking for large deep aggregations of Herring. Any tips on recent observations of thick bait layers (with precise location and tide stage if possible) from last few days would be appreciated!!!
  10. B

2023 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Hi All Testing some scientific echosounder and camera equipment in the next few days so will be looking for large deep aggregations of Herring. Any tips on recent observations of thick bait layers (with precise location and tide stage if possible) from last few days would be appreciated!!!
  11. B

Humboldt Squid- Garry Cooper show

Last week.. I suspect it would not matter too much that far down
  12. B

Humboldt Squid- Garry Cooper show

I bit... Looked too cool. Tried it out of Pacific Playgrounds for a couple hours with a cheap glow danielson jig and a 1 lb weight tied on below. Fished in about 920-1000 feet of water. I was using a reel spooled with braid that I think had about 600 feet... I put it all out. I had several bumps...
  13. B

Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO

Which is nice... bumpers tend to meet the goal of being robust material that will not break down.. Personally I also have a great stash of salvaged bumpers.
  14. B

Crab and Prawn Buoys/Floats revised by DFO

Looping back to this as April 1 gets closer. @searun you mention that " Would this not be a problem (if you have two different floats on the line would you not be in violation of the rule?
  15. B

Jordan River Boat Launch

Any updates on the status of this launch. Gonna be out in Jordan river at beginning of June and wondering about bringing the 16 footer,.
  16. B

Recreational catch and release fish mortality

There has been a lot of recent work going on to address this subject for Salmon in BC after a long period with very little. Results will be coming out officially (as peer reviewed papers) in the next couple of years I imagine. I definitely do not think it is as dire as 70% mortality... although...
  17. B

Cowichan River

Any new sweepers or other hazards in the river above skutz?
  18. B

2022 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

The small stream that drains the golf course flows into the marina. That stream does have spawning coho (I have heard from the guys that golf there) and is heavily seeded with Coho Fry. This year I saw fry as high up as where the trail from the pond on Clarkson cuts through to Miracle Beach...
  19. B

2022 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

That school has been there for a few days and seen some gear... I would be very impressed to see someone hook one at this point.
  20. B

2022 Brown’s Bay Reports

Will be late for Coho... but if it is a good chum year it should be getting going by then. I fished a beautiful flood at Greensea on Sunday and never saw a rod move among the 10 or so boats there (with the exception of a pink we caught that looked like it had come back out of the river)... which...
Back