Search results

1. salty-dog

Forgot I had these in my truck

I'll have to search for more. Missing are lots of fishing photos, photos of Savannah, Charlotte, and the cross country drive. During that drive, I left Charlotte on Tues morning and by Friday night, I was in Port Angeles. My trip got rerouted in St Louis by a massive snow storm, so I ended up...
  2. salty-dog

I'll have to see if I can locate the memory stick with more photos of down that way. But, I do have these next few. After leaving GA, I headed north to Charlotte before heading back this way. In SC, just at Columbia is a little town that I think would be a perfect name for a girl:
  3. salty-dog

Outside Jekyll Island looking in along the south end { St Andrew's Beach area }
  4. salty-dog

After gaining some water, I was able to carry on. Once I go under these two bridges, the ocean is minutes away.
  5. salty-dog

I found a couple pictures. I don't know how to do multiple photos in single post, so it'll take a few to do it. In this first one, I was paddling the yak towards the Atlantic but the low tide presented a sandbar. The water surrounding it was too shallow to even yak through. I remember the...
  6. salty-dog

I was thinking it would work if they either simplified the regs or had one for each region. But, the DFO has made things so complex it's a miracle anyone can figure out anything correctly-- water cops included. As for photos, I may have a few. The computer I loaded most into took a yeehaw...
  7. salty-dog

A few years ago I spent several months back in Georgia tending to some family stuff. During this time I managed to do a lot of kayak, motorboat and surf fishing. But, being as I was away for a while, I needed to renew my GA fishing license. A quick trip the DNR { Dept of Natural Resources} and I...
  8. salty-dog

something stolen, something else found

I am in Nanaimo. Yesterday, while at the dive shop, a bike cop came in and was telling the store owner that some stuff was recovered from a crack house a few blocks away { between my place and the dive shop}. I told him about the tank incident and he said to report it because there was a...
  9. salty-dog

something stolen, something else found

Yesterday, as I was preparing my boat for a day on the water, I found someone stole the 6 gallon portable fuel tank off my boat, in my carport. I ain't happy about that. If anyone runs across it, please let me know. Its a Seasense with a fuel gauge cap. The lens is hazed over so I marked the...
  10. salty-dog

recommended rigs for inshore casting ?

When I toss bait chunks, I rig the hook above the weight { distance varies by targeted species and underwater composition}. To hold chunk bait to the hook, those little bread twisty wires work like a charm- bait the hook as usual but also tie the bait on with the bread twisty and send it all...
  11. salty-dog

Fishing Hijinks

Anyone have any to share?? Yesterday, I took a friend out for his first ever salt water fishing adventure. Spent several hours out teaching him about different methods of fishing, lures, what to look for to find the fish and whatnot... overall, a pretty good day. Made our limits. But...
  12. salty-dog

Tackle and Gear Debris in the Ocean

While diving, I have found a mass of stuff- everything from old spoons with 100's of feet of line to cannonballs and even an unopened bottle of gin covered with barnacles. There is lots of stuff down there that can be seen- and lots more that cannot. While going through the kelp beds, more than...
  13. salty-dog

kayak fishing

PM your number. I am in Nanaimo and often take my yak out fishing when my daughter doesn't feel like going. The next couple weeks will be very busy, but when I can find time, I will load up and paddle out.
  14. salty-dog

orcas appetite for sea lions

Yes they are. I managed to get out for a few hours last Monday with my daughter and the seals were everywhere. We could only stay in an area a little while then motor away from them several times. They were relentless. No sooner we'd get a fish on the hook and the seals showed up. A pod of...
  15. salty-dog

Glow paint?

Lowe's will do online sales. I haven't tried what they are selling so maybe next time I'm at a store, I'll check it out. The Halloween glow is a low grade product- it's cheap because its meant to be disposed of after one or two uses.
  16. salty-dog

Glow paint?

Glow paint is regular paint with glow in the dark powder mixed in. Quality varies due to variances in powder quality, amount of powder in the paint and the paint quality. You can make your own paint very easily but should know the basics about the powder first. I use a V10 powder in hi-vis or...
  17. salty-dog

kayak fishing

I have kayak fished in many places all over North America and enjoy the challenges/rewards it can bring. Kayaks are versatile boats- fresh water or salt, shallow or deep, catching trout or blacktips or even crabbing and shrimping. In this, I have learned that trolling with downriggers is...
  18. salty-dog

Stupid Salmon Tricks

I've seen some fish vids on youtube and I don't know why but they just crack me up. In one vid, a guy walks through a door and suddenly this fish comes out of nowhere and smacks him HARD.
  19. salty-dog

led hoochies do they work?

A lady that I used to rent from in WA keeps trying to get me to go for that. In fact, she sent me a recent newspaper clipping regarding the show and someone that was on in the town where she lives. She wants me to go for it because I designed and built a portable micro "hydrostation" that...
  20. salty-dog

led hoochies do they work?

I have been experimenting with kinetic energy as a power source and the concept is plausible. The issue with it is that in order to develop the required power, the actuator assembly would have to be moved at a very fast rate- far faster than trolling would permit. In jig form, the energy can be...
Back