Search results

1. B

2024 Port Renfrew Reports

Spent two days in "Renfrew and I can see why I am first to post. It's quiet...too quiet. Seriously, I had the marina to myself. Weather wasn't great but the crabbing was. Also, fought the snotty seas and headed east this morning because it was far worse to the west. It payed off as we...
  2. B

2024 Sooke Reports

Went out of Pedder early yesterday and anchored off Constance. Ebb was strong at first but as soon as we could stay on the bottom it was two nice ones in an hour. Could have had our third just at the slack but the dogfish gods had their revenge and my 100 lb leader snapped off half way up...
  3. B

2024 Sooke Reports

Got out this morning early and anchored up straight out off Pedder on the edge of the shipping lane. Ebb current was good but only the dogfish were hungry. Silver lining was some crab and pleasant company. Worse ways to spend a morning.
  4. B

2023 Sooke Reports

Took one last shot yesterday because of the nice flood and fished the same 450 contour that was so productive last week from 10:00 to 1:00 also used the same hootchies and depths. Not a single coho or even a mackerel, but the shakers were relentless.
  5. B

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished out in 450 ft of water from Aldirige to Secretary and back yesterday from 7am to 11. Some action early on wilds so released a couple of small ones. It slowed down so we ended up with three wild and three hatch nothing over 7 pounds. Hootchies at 45 to 65 feet were effective. Also a...
  6. B

2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Got back from 4 days in Nootka Sunday night. Inside was quiet for us, even early morning so we fished every day just off Wash Rock on the 90 foot contour. Key was to fish right on the bottom. Eventually got 15 chinook and 7 coho as well as 5 small halibut which were a nice bonus...
  7. B

2023 Sooke Reports

Finally got out with the grandkids for pinks on Friday. You know that its been a while since you've had the boat out when the most excitement was discovering a small wasps nest about a foot from the captains head. There were only about a dozen on the little nest and with some deft killing...
  8. B

Residue on my halibut anchor Scotsman.

thanks. your'e probably right.
  9. B

Residue on my halibut anchor Scotsman.

Over ten years a very unpleasant residue has formed on my large red halibut anchor Scotsman. Doesn't come off with mineral spirits and I am reluctant to try anything more caustic such as paint stripper for fear of eroding the rubber since the Scotman still functions fine. Any suggestions?
  10. B

2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Had a pleasant weekend in Renfrew but the fishing was very quiet. Fished Woods Nose to. East Point from dawn to eleven am on Saturday with not a sniff other than shakers. Saw two decent fish caught all morning. Tried Camper on Sunday and picked up three small feeders and lost two more at the...
  11. B

2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just back tonight from four days at Moutcha Bay. Managed our 16 springs but a couple were "table fish" (ie 3-4 lbs) and only one over 20. Best luck was at Hoise early. Once the sun was up everything was deep 79 - 90 feet) on either anchovy or small white hootchie. Did get out to Wash for...
  12. B

2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Got out to Nootka just in time for the monsoon season on Thursday. Bounced around in the southwesterlies Friday and Saturday out at Wash. Much calmer Sunday morning. Ended up with six spring (mostly deep on Jughead hootchies though only three of any size. Also a bunch of chicken...
  13. B

Herring Sale

I just spoke to Finest at Sea in Victoria and confirmed that the herring sale tomorrow starts at 9:00 am. The poster above showing 7:00 am start is in error.
  14. B

Trophy reel parts

I am in Victoria. Thanks. I couldn't see any part sources online but with the part number I will drop by Island Outfitters. Thanks again,
  15. B

Trophy reel parts

I am looking for replacement clutch assemblies for my Tyee by Trophy QR trolling reels. The cork clutch's are now permanently compressed so that there is virtually no range between too tight and too loose. Seems like an easy repair if I can get the parts.
  16. B

2021 Sooke Reports

Took a long shot and tried for early coho in 400 ft of water off Beechy for a couple of hours yesterday evening. It was a successful shakedown cruise in that all systems functioned well but as will come to noones surprise, no coho.
  17. B

2020 Sidney Reports

Can anyone confirm that the Tsarlip boat ramp near Brentwood is available to launch a boat to go prawning? I only get recorded messages when I call the Band office. Thanks.
  18. B

2020 Port Renfrew Reports

Got out to Renfrew for the first time in awhile early yesterday for salmon. No quick luck on the dawn bite at East point so headed to Camper and joined the fleet. Lost one teenager early at the boat with what I can only assume was the leader cut by the teeth of the fish. (40lb cleanly...
  19. B

2020 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

addendum to my post above. Used my lowering device on multiple rock fish that would otherwise have been seagull food. Other than putting a little milage on the down rigger it worked well. No excuses not to, (Closest thing to a political statement you will see from me )
  20. B

2020 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Back last night from a week at Nootka with two staggered groups of family.. Started with three in 45 minutes at Camel Rock last Sunday and ended with a quick 25 at the wall yesterday morning before calling it to pack up. Nineteen springs in the boat over the week, mostly at Camel and the...
Back