Search results

1. S

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Well at least you no longer need to be upset with yourself (at least not for that reason). :)
  2. S

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

I love this thread. Every day I open this thread thinking "Today will be the day that I learn Dave has rowed someone to another tyee". It hasn't happened yet this year, but I hope it does! I'm rooting for you in Seattle.
  3. S

2023 Tuna Adventures

Depending on wind, weather, etc. I may make a tuna run out of Neah Bay sometime this next week. It will largely depend on whether we get quick limits of springs early in the day as we are still allowed 2 per person per day on the US side. So if not the trip this week it will happen the 4th...
  4. S

Left... Right ... or Ambidextrous

I'm left handed and used to have a left handed reel or two on the boat. Problem is -- when we are trolling, whoever is closest is often the one who needs to grab whatever rod has gone off and set the hook. I'm often at the helm and that would mean that someone else now was trying to reel in a...
  5. S

Bragging Rights Photo Op

This is from July 12, 2015. Four springs totaling 90lbs - 20, 22,23 and 25. Finished with those by about 10:30 AM and then found some albies.
  6. S

2023 Port Renfrew Reports

15 miles from Neah, 3 guys and we get to keep 2... Took 6 fish each day. Some people want a sure thing for their kids, visiting relatives etc. Swiftsure is that sure thing place. When you're only allowed to keep an 80cm or less fish, it seemed to me like that might be useful info to some.
  7. S

2023 Port Renfrew Reports

I've been fishing Swiftsure on the US side for the past couple of weeks. It's loaded with chinook but most are in the 26-29" range. There are a few that are larger. People out of Renfrew shouldn't have any trouble catching the <80cm fish out there once it opens.
  8. S

What's with the clipped coho?

In my experience, there is a higher percentage of clipped coho in the early returns than in the later returns. June and July often have 1/3 to 1/2 of the coho clipped (at least those caught at Swiftsure). Later in the season it drops to 1/6 and then 1/12. At least that's been my experience...
  9. S

2023 Tofino Reports

The Columbia river spring king should be passing by there now..
  10. S

2022 Port Renfrew Reports

I was fishing hali and black cod on the US side and my jig was bouncing off of coho on the way down. My point is that there is still a ton of coho out in deep water.
  11. S

2022 Port Renfrew Reports

Don't know for sure right now, but 2 weekends ago, the coho were THICK at 42 miles offshore (11 miles past US blue dot). They were also thick near the end of Nitnat Canyon. I'm guessing they are feeding/holding until we get some rain.
  12. S

Won't be Loosing Anymore Scotty Rigger Clips

If you're stacking, add a short piece of mono to the clip, tie a coast-lock to the mono and clip that around the cable. That way if you knock the clip off, the mono/coast-lock will keep it attached to the cable (it will just slip down towards the bottom of the cable).
  13. S

Won't be Loosing Anymore Scotty Rigger Clips

I just put a large 3-way swivel in-line with the tuna cord that I use for the last few feet of the cable (braid actually). The knot between the braid and the tuna cord stops the rigger with the ball at water level. The scotty clip is attached to the 3-way swivel with a coast-lock snap clip...
  14. S

Favorite picture from 2022 salmon season

Nice - got the sea lion on the boat behind you while you net yours. :)
  15. S

2022 Tuna Adventures

I’ll be heading out for tuna on Sat AM out of Neah Bay with both my US and Canadian license. I’d love to share intel with others if/when we find fish. 6 or 7 years ago, the third week of Sept was very good to us when we call called into a bite off of Louden canyon and put 21 albacore and a...
  16. S

The Mystery Spoon......

Lots of people attempting to help and no reply yet from Karlo... So I guess it's still a mystery.
  17. S

2022 Tuna Adventures

What are "Hawkins"?
  18. S

Tuna spread Sans outriggers

I manage to run 8 rods off of my 8.5' wide C-Dory Tomcat without the benefit of outriggers. I have two rods each on the aft corners. One is an about 7' long ugly stick pointed out at 90 degrees, the other is a 5' ugly stick pointed straight back. I run the clones on these lines in a "W...
  19. S

Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

You can go to MarineTraffic.com on the computer also.
  20. S

Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

Dave - as always, this is the thread I look forward to each year! As an aside, put the Marine Traffic app on your phone. With it you can get the AIS (automated identification system) information for each large boat that passes by. You'll not only get the name but the dimensions of the ship...
Back