Search results

1. A

High Tech Jigging

I just want to say Waterwolf, I have checked this thread a few times and finally pulled the trigger on a rod and some flat fall jigs. I got one of the new Okuma Hawaiian Custom 60-120g slow pitch rods, its a very light rod, but our salmon aren't huge where I live usually. I went out last night...
  2. A

Little Qualicum

Sounds good, I hope you find a few fish.
  3. A

Pumpkinseed Fishing.

I have heard they get pretty big in there too. My dad grew up in richmond and caught one while cutthroat fishing (in Dewdney Slough I believe) that was a couple lbs. He said he had absolutely no idea what it was, and released it. He said he eventually saw a picture of one in a book and realized...
  4. A

Pumpkinseed Fishing.

I have only ever caught 1 of them that would have been worth cleaning at eating it was like 9" or so, most of them are under 6" that I have caught. I am sure they are good to eat like regular bluegill are but are just a whole lot smaller.
  5. A

Little Qualicum

Don't worry about pissing people off man, as long as you are within the law/regs other people can bugger off with their opinoins LOL. There are gorgeous cutthroat in that river, small marabou jigs, small pink worms on a jig head are pretty effective worked with a light spinning setup.
  6. A

Salmon spin casting combo for under $100

Definitely, this is important. Whatever you choose make sure it is limp and designed for spinning reels though. I am partial to the trilene XL (extra limp) as its designed for spinning reels. It isn't the cheapest, but it is no where near the most expensive, and it just works for me. I had a...
  7. A

Salmon spin casting combo for under $100

Under 100 would be tough, but very close to 100 can get you a decent rod/reel. I spin fish for coho a lot and for reels, the shimano sienna 4000 FD (dont get the RD / rear drag), are great, rinse 'em every time, oil it if it squeaks and just toss ,it if it breaks. Under 40 bucks, it owes you...
  8. A

Victoria Reports 2015

Those look like Mustad 10848BLN Open Eye Siwash, sometimes called "Big Gun Siwash". If that is the case, I have been using them for a few years when i spincast off the beaches, changing over to them on all my crocs and spinners. They are nice and sharp hooks, they seem to hold fish really well...
  9. A

Cowichan River

I wonder if a bank clean-up getting organized would mend fences so to speak... this really sucks, I really like fishing that area.
  10. A

Fishing in hawaii

Maui is great, but shore fishing can be tough, but it can be done apparently! http://www.fishtactics.com/ViewThread?threadID=3489 Not sure if its cool linking to another site like this, but I love going to Maui and this thread got me excited to go back. May want to PM this guy as well: user...
  11. A

Shore coho fly fishin

I have used the rio outbound short for a couple years, it does cast nice especially when its brand new. I have however, found for myself the running line a little thin, and tangles when I try to shoot a lot of line. Also the coating wasn't very durable (cracking / splitting), I do put my lines...
  12. A

Quamichan Lake

Awesome, I haven't fished Quamichan for years, but caught some nice cutties the last time we were out (3lb +). I have never seen so many stickleback in a lake in my life either! We used the McLeod Stickleback fly with great success out there. :)
  13. A

Quamichan Lake

Haven't been out to Quamichan yet, have caught a few trout on Fuller and Chemainus, the mild weather seems to be helping the fishing on those lakes.
  14. A

St Mary lake, Saltspring

I have fished the lake lots, if you are after trout you can bait fish from shore, but hopefully you have a boat. If you fly fish, tow a crystal leech / wooly bugger on a full sink line slowly (type 2 or 3 full sink line is preferred) we always do well there that way. If you don't fly fish...
  15. A

Bass Fishing Nanaimo Area

Have yet to try the Havoc stuff, have to give 'em a whirl. +1 for Long lake, lots of 3-4lb fish in there. I actually caught my personal best Smallmouth out there, was 25" long! In the 20+ years I have been fishing smallmouth since, I have never had any larger than 22-23" anywhere else (and only...
  16. A

Bass Fishing Nanaimo Area

I would throw weightless senkos (Wholesale sports sells Yum Dingers, but there are lots of brands) I like rigged on a big EWG worm hook 4/0 for 4" worms, 5/0 for 5" worms. I also like to rig them wacky style (on a 1/0 circle hook, or octopus hook). Google fishign senkos weightless, its a lot of...
  17. A

Langford Lake Small Mouth -Post Spawn yet?

Yes, the spawn is over. Most Lakes it takes place from the 2nd week in may until the first week of June. It is still a great time of year to catch 'em though! Fishing should be good up until October (weather permitting of course) Good Luck, Langford has some huge bass!
Back