Search results

1. B

Hello! North Vancouver Freshwater Options

Is this the regulation line you refer to? "No Fishing upstream of fishing boundary signs at footbridge situated approximately 100 m downstream of the fish fence" That is the Cable Pool bridge, which is just down from the fish fence at the salmon hatchery. The hatchery is a couple hundred metres...
  2. B

Trudeau promises more gun control and goes on the attack against Scheer

This topic violates the terms of use of this sub-forum, as stated in the title at the top: “Use this forum for discussing Saltwater and Freshwater Fisheries Management Topics. Fishing Related Politics Only.” Reported
  3. B

A man who digs for fish

Thanks! Another outstanding film by good old National Film Board of Canada. This is the first time I’ve heard of saving stranded swim-up fry by digging them out of the gravel. Smart man! P.S. It’s Jervis Inlet, not Jarvis.
  4. B

Fused Rod

That works very well on metal ferrules, as on fibreglass rods. I understand a very light touch of candle wax works much better on graphite ferrules, which has worked perfectly for me.
  5. B

Fused Rod

https://midcurrent.com/videos/kelly-galloup-how-to-get-a-stuck-fly-rod-apart/ I haven’t tried this, but this demo looks good!
  6. B

Mosquito creek marina

Thanks a lot, Eden. Learn something new every day!
  7. B

Mosquito creek marina

Could someone please tell me the difference between boat sheds and float homes? News articles are using those two terms, saying people live in them. To me, a boat shed is not a dwelling for living in; it's a structure that covers a boat that's moored between two float fingers. It has two side...
  8. B

Old Skullcap.....Redux....

Thanks for sharing that very nice piece, Dave. I reminds me of my first non-children's book, "Silver". You know the one, I'm sure. It's rather fitting that "Silver" was written by the man who lived at the river's edge, near that big chinook's redd. Like you, he also had the gift of writing...
  9. B

Rubber Driveway vs. Asphalt

Corey_lax, there's some rather alarming info about rubber's serious toxicity to salmon in the Conservation section, here: https://sportfishingbc.com/threads/chemicals-kill-dozens-of-salmon-in-west-vancouver.95008/ This issue is news to me, and I'm no aquatic toxicologist, but there may be an...
  10. B

White River Sayward

I fished it once about 30 years ago, without any luck. Nowadays, it's one of the many east coast Van. Island rivers with a winter closure not far above the ocean. I just looked at the regs for the closure details: "No Fishing upstream of the Sayward Road Bridge crossing, Nov 1-Apr 30"...
  11. B

Brown's Bay

Yes they have. Chum was shut down in 2021 for almost the entire south coast, including west coast Van. Island: https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=251929&ID=all Parts of the west coast Van. Island were also closed to chum in 2020...
  12. B

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Thanks very much for another great reporting season from the pool. My condolences for the loss of your fine feathered friend. That’s a tough way to end a season.
  13. B

Polishing old commercial salmon spoons

If it has sodium chromate, look what Wikipedia says: "As with other Cr(VI) compounds, sodium chromate is carcinogenic.[6] The compound is also corrosive and exposure may produce severe eye damage or blindness.[7] Human exposure further encompasses impaired fertility, heritable genetic damage...
  14. B

Thanks a lot for the name of the stuff, Redfisher. My memory's not so good anymore. At least I got a few of the letters right!
  15. B

Ship Happens, that reminds me; when I commercial trolled back in the 70’s, we kept a plastic bottle of bright yellow liquid in the stern. It was used (diluted with water in a small tub) as a bath to keep spoons from corroding or tarnishing. It had an interesting name that I forget; something...
  16. B

AI Salmon Identification

Sockeye. Good ID help with the Chrome thing, Browningmirage! And yes, a view of the tail is important.
  17. B

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Not bad. Or Zed, for short. Maybe something a bit more nautical? Capt. Zed.
  18. B

Fishing Not Allowed in North Van District?

If you want to explore the legal details of foreshore jurisdiction in B.C., (and other BC environmental laws), West Coast Environmental Law has excellent info. Here's one of their articles...
  19. B

Fishing Not Allowed in North Van District?

I would add that the above member appears to make an assumption that fishing below the high water mark is permitted. I would not make that assumption myself. If you're interested in checking, the District of N.Van would have detailed info on its coastal boundaries. I found a reference to...
Back