Search results

1. fishchaser

Millions of Salmon trapped by Fraser river landslide.

I am surprised nobody is talking about this landslide, this could hurt the fisheries for years. https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-workers-race-free-millions-153755620.html
  2. fishchaser

Favorite Smoked Salmon Brine Recipe

With all of the great Salmon fishing going on now I thought it might be nice to hear what some of your all-time favorite smoked salmon brine recipes are. If you have a favorite recipe please share.
  3. fishchaser

Ucluelet Squid Fishing?

I have read some fishing reports from local guides saying the Springer’s that are being caught are full of squid. Has anyone been fishing for squid lately around Ucluelet? If so what areas are holding them?
  4. fishchaser

Ukee Fuel Dock Prices

HAs anyone purchased fuel at the Ukee fuel dock lately, what is the average price per liter these days?
  5. fishchaser

Ucluelet Customs Clearance

Has anyone entering Ucluelet from the U.S. cleared customs at the 52 Steps dock lately? Is this facility easy to enter for passengers with US passports? When I call the Telephone reporting system they inform me this is a valid port to enter. Also the Ukee Harbor Master says it is a valid port of...
  6. fishchaser

Ucluelet Fish Report

There sure isn't many fish reports out of Ukee, has anyone been fishing the area and willing to share any reports? Is the bite better out on the banks or inside Barkley Sound? We will be staying at Island West Resort (Main Float 1) June 26th thru July 25th, stop by for a happy hour cocktail.
  7. fishchaser

Fish Bag Material

Does anyone know where to purchase the Poly Tubing Roll's that you cut to length and tie the ends for storing and transporting your catch?
  8. fishchaser

Ucluelet Squid

Does any of you experts have the low down on how and where to catch the summer squid in Ucluelet?
  9. fishchaser

Rigging The Turd

For years I have heard about fisherman talking about and using the J85 Turd however not much info regarding how you rig it for both Salmon and Halibut fishing. This year I have ordered several of the 6” J85’s and will be using them in Ucluelet this summer. How do you experts rig your J85’s for...
  10. fishchaser

Favorite Halibut Trolling Set Up

With spring just around the corner it’s time to start thinking about Halibut season. What is your favorite halibut trolling set up? I have had good success using glow hot spot flashers with 6 feet of leader followed by a 4 ¾ inch glow Kajiki Squid. I troll very slow and drop my downrigger ball...
  11. fishchaser

Ucluelet Customs Clearance

Has anyone cleared customs in Ukee at the 52 Step Dock? If so did you have to call in advance to notify them of your vessels arrival? Are the Customs agents stationed there or is this a phone in facility ony?
  12. fishchaser

Seattle to Ucluelet Voyage Info

Has anyone made the Seattle to Ucluelet, British Columbia voyage? If so which route did you take? Was it cruising the U.S. Shoreline to Neah Bay and then cross the Straight? Or did you go via the san Juan Islands and hug the Canadian coast line? We are taking our Bayliner 340 over for the month...
  13. fishchaser

Preferred Hootchie Hook Set Up

I traditional run a small bead ahead of #4 & #5 Gamakatsu octopus hooks while fishing with hootchies. I am thinking about changing to a single larger Siwash hook attached to a bead swivel, do any of you experts use this set up?
  14. fishchaser

Preferred Flasher Leader Length

I thought I would ask the experts what their preferred leader length is when fishing for Springs using hoochies or spoons behind an 11 inch flasher. I know the size of the hootchie and spoon depends on the size of the local bait however are there preferred lengths behind your flasher that yields...
  15. fishchaser

Straights of Juan De Fuca / Georgia Halibut Areas

I am putting out a request for help from the local halibut experts as I am looking for halibut areas inside the Straights of Juan De Fuca & Georgia. My family and I usually spend summers on our boat in Ucluelet, however this year we are looking at staying at various areas in the San Juan...
  16. fishchaser

Halibut Measuring Made Easy

A friend of mine is a lodge owner in Alaska and he mentioned that the State of Alaska Fish and Game Dept is working on an App for the IPhone that would be able to tell the length and weight of a Halibut when it when it surfaces. The way it will work is, it will look at the eyes of the Halibut...
  17. fishchaser

Road to Ucluelet

I will be towing my 33 foot boat to Ucluelet next weekend which is a wide load as well. Can anyone provide a road condition update?
  18. fishchaser

Victoria Area Halibut

Anyone having any luck in the Victoria Area fishing for Halibut? The family ad i cant get to Ucluelet for a few more weeks however would love to try the local waters.
  19. fishchaser

Favorite Spoon Technique

Thought I would ask the experts what your preferred spoon techniques are. I have been a long time fan of spoons and have always fished them behind a flasher. I am reading more and more about fishing without flashers when using 5 to 6 inch spoons. Is there a better time of the year to use...
  20. fishchaser

Favorite Halibut Trolling Bait / Technique

Now that that the winter is upon us and the gear is put away for the off season I thought I would start a thread on favorite Halibut trolling techniques and baits you all prefer. In the past I have been a spreader bar fan however my last trip to Ucluelet gave us good results trolling for the...
Back