Search results

1. TheSookesOfHazzard

Sooke2015

Was out Saturday near Sheringham then Secretary later on. Pinks everyone, like everyone is reporting. Every depth, every lure, Pinks. No Chinook for us. Saw one nice one boated around 9am at the lighthouse and another guy with one on at the same spot a little bit later.
  2. TheSookesOfHazzard

Victoria Reports 2015

Hey all! Been off this forum for the last 8 months or so as I was working in Calgary. One more summer here then likely back to the praries... Anyways, went out on Saturday around 9am. Went right to Constance as Oak Bay was pretty packed. Picked up an 8 pound Chinook on the west side after a...
  3. TheSookesOfHazzard

2014 Port Renfrew & Swiftsure Reports

Good day yesterday with Last Chance Fishing Charters. Fished the bank - a bit slow for Springs, with only one keeper (26 pounds though!) but lots of Coho! We used a combination of bait and metals at lots of depths, from the ranch to the buoy. Moved off the ranch for Halibut and Kelly got us into...
  4. TheSookesOfHazzard

Good day yesterday with Last Chance Fishing Charters. Fished the bank - a bit slow for Springs, with only one keeper (26 pounds though!) but lots of Coho! We used a combination of bait and metals at lots of depths, from the ranch to the buoy. Moved off the ranch for Halibut and Kelly got us into...
  5. TheSookesOfHazzard

Bad fishing...or bad fishermen...?

X3. Though on another point at the beginning of this thread, it is kinda annoying how so few actually post reports. If I go fishing, I post about it. Period. Every little bit helps! However, fisherman aren't always the best about their reporting even when the offer something. You might get a...
  6. TheSookesOfHazzard

You went with Dez? Good choice. Great guy - great fisherman!
  7. TheSookesOfHazzard

You went with Dez? Good choice. Great guy - great fisherman!
  8. TheSookesOfHazzard

Trolling gear to start out with...

X2. Take it from a guy who had a serious case of GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome) - you don't need as much as you think. These days I only run green and purple, and switch them up if one does better (well, I use red for sockeye). I'm by far the best out there, but more and more I believe that...
  9. TheSookesOfHazzard

Victoria 2014 Reports

^ Awesome work sir! Looks like quite the happy lad!
  10. TheSookesOfHazzard

Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Fished 7am - 1pm today, started west at Sheringham Point for a couple of hours and had one missed hit that stripped the bait. Eventually went out for Sockeye; tried a couple of different places and finally started finding some bites in 500ft off the harbour mouth. Only ended up landing one...
  11. TheSookesOfHazzard

Tips and tricks

One trick I've been using for those days your buddies want to you to take them out, but you don't feel like dealing with cleaning fish, packaging fish, etc....I just fish in Victoria/Sooke! Okay okay, that was bad. Too soon?
  12. TheSookesOfHazzard

Just had a read through their thread - sounds like the Sox are there in some numbers! Just a wee bit jealous... And ya, all signs point to this being an inside year for sure. I'm sure some Sox come around this way then maybe back up to the Fraser but it definitely doesn't seem like it!
  13. TheSookesOfHazzard

^ Nice work Walleyes! No such luck for me today. In fact, I didn't even get a single hit...well, maybe one...I was trying to fix the CD player and when I turned around one rod was off the rigger. I threw all the gear I had at 'em. I tried Secretary. I tried the Head. I tried out. I tried...
  14. TheSookesOfHazzard

Best halibut reel for price and durability? Rod?

X 2 Shimano TLD. Also, I have three older Penn 330 GT's myself and have yet to have an issue with them. Parts are readily available and I lube them once a season. IMO, you should spend more on your salmon reels than your halibut ones. Salmon fisherman benefit from the enhanced drag and...
  15. TheSookesOfHazzard

REPOWER Options

Some shops should have Camp F150's this fall, and long-legs shouldn't be that rare. IMO if the motor you have is running okay, I'd keep running it. These are big dollar upgrades and even if you had the cash it could be better spent (or saved). Unless you are running far each time you use the...
  16. TheSookesOfHazzard

Canned Halibut ?

Great tasting fish, but does not lend itself well to the can or smoke treatment!
  17. TheSookesOfHazzard

Geared up for two days in Sooke this weekend - time to make the best of it and wear my name proud! Have a listen for my Dukes of Hazzard horn (yes, I installed one - 7 individual horns and a compressor) if I get a fish on. Got the dummies ready (not the fishing partners, the Sockeye gear) and...
  18. TheSookesOfHazzard

Thanks fshnfnatic! I was thinking the same, woulda been quite the Coho in a couple of months! Always a good day on that bank.
  19. TheSookesOfHazzard

Thanks fshnfnatic! I was thinking the same, woulda been quite the Coho in a couple of months! Always a good day on that bank.
  20. TheSookesOfHazzard

The Beach has never been worth it to me. Way too inconsistent, even when it's "hot." I think I've caught like 1 spring in 8-10 trips there. For sure guys do well there, but when considering the fog and swells in addition I'm much more likely to try Sooke or Vic instead (live in Vic).
Back