Search results

1. searun

About that Selective Fishery, by Bob Hooton

Before you spend time and $ on t-shirts, perhaps a read of this on the Bolt Decision in Canada for perspective. Since the time of writing, additional case law has been added with respect to the 5 Nations cases on WCVI that further define FN's rights with respect to FSC and Commercial...
  2. searun

Advice installing aft steering station

AP and/or rear helm isn't the cause, I've seen a guy zoned out sitting at the helm in a perfect position to avoid a crash, but didn't. In my experience it has more to do with people getting busy dealing with netting fish or setting gear and distracted from keeping an eye out. Compounded when...
  3. searun

Petition to the House of Commons

Here's the link to the parliamentary procedures regarding petitions https://www.ourcommons.ca/procedure/procedure-and-practice-3/ch_22_2-e.html Here's section specifically addressing how many electronic petition signatures are required to validate and certify a petition. Once a petition has...
  4. searun

Southern Resident Whales - New Study Released Nature, Extinction in 75-100 years

Send that to DFO - clearly inside the supposed 200m (600 feet) avoidance zone for WW - which IMO should be 400m based on the science that was applied to everyone else!
  5. searun

Great day, last Monday.

I think the title of this thread could have been - what does fishing mean to you? Love your post, it captures the essence of why I fish. Strong connection to places I love and care deeply about, opportunities for sharing those experiences with friends and family. From a cultural and social...
  6. searun

Fisheries Management and Ecology

Follow the $$ - says a lot about the potential hypothesis the authors explored. ACKNOWLEDGMENTS The vast majority of project funding for the lead author was provided by Trout Unlimited, with additional funding via the Wild Steelhead Coalition and The Conservation Angler. We extend sincere...
  7. searun

Chinook Management Measures - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Effective April 1, 2024

And while you are out enjoying these opportunities, a reminder that the SFAB process helped advance a strong science-based proposal for MSF - please get involved in your local SFAC Committee - its a small time commitment to attend 2 meetings per year (fall and spring meetings). The SFAB needs...
  8. searun

CPAWS

Its already been written off, these groups have been quietly advocating for this MPA for a very long time and Parks Canada is really pushing this. Nothing short of a change in government will make any difference. These groups want to turn our marine environment into a gigantic park and have...
  9. searun

2024-25 DFO proposal and survey on salmon measures

More NOAA junk science is what we will hear from the ENGO's - this research doesn't fit their narrative or contribute to their "crisis" fuelled business model. The only thing that will change the direction of the titanic will be a change in who runs government.
  10. searun

BCWF, Conservation Hatchery. Things to Contemplate by Bob Hooton.

Sounds more like the same old lets do nothing and hope for the best strategy. Avoiding addressing one of the major reasons for Thompson Steelhead (that we know about and can control) and expecting a different result is painful to watch. Pinnipeds are a significant source of Steelhead...
  11. searun

BCWF, Conservation Hatchery. Things to Contemplate by Bob Hooton.

So how has the stick our heads in the sand and do nothing strategy working so far for recovering steelhead? One of the largest impacts facing steelhead is pinniped predation, and steelhead being very large smolts that are top water swimmers makes them highly susceptible to seal predation as out...
  12. searun

Conservative Blaine Calkins Hunting & Fishing Town Hall - March 26

Well, I guess that is a good thing because it signals to everyone (including Conservatives) that fishing and hunting is important to voters.
  13. searun

2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

Unless there is a ton of food available that leads to faster growth rates, then you could see some shifting up into the 90cm + range. Time will tell.
  14. searun

Hating on Alaskans?

Its all about perspectives. I certainly understand the reputation. Try sitting in an IPHC Halibut meeting with the AK crew. Even their countrymen to the south sometimes have moments where they stare down at the table in wonder about what is being said. That said, I appreciate the AK...
  15. searun

Conservative Blaine Calkins Hunting & Fishing Town Hall - March 26

If anyone is interested in hearing more about how the Conservatives view hunting and fishing issues, I found this upcoming Town Hall event. I have spent some quality time with Blaine and he is very well informed on fisheries issues. There's a link to the event details attached FYI. Join us for...
  16. searun

Discussing DFO with Pierre Poilievre

I guess you could always attend the Fishing and Hunting Town Hall that the Conservatives are hosting in Campbell River this coming Tuesday March 26th - I've spent some quality time with Blaine Calkins and he is very well informed regarding the issues the recreational fishery faces. Come out and...
  17. searun

Thanks for that. I can't recall the FISS survey average weight off hand, other than to say it also demonstrated the biomass is largely comprised of small halibut. This analysis is another way to describe the effects of small changes in length on how much TAC is used - and now that we have a...
  18. searun

Great question. The current regulatory framework available to manage recreational fisheries is extremely cumbersome. Changing that framework is even more so. Believe me, many have been trying. It would take me pages of text to explain. Long story short, at this moment we have no tools to...
  19. searun

Little puzzled by this post - its as simple as Canada is assigned a TAC that represents a sustainable number of fish that can be removed without risking over fishing the halibut stock. Halibut stocks are at a 30 year low, and in BC there isn't enough TAC available for a full season if we didn't...
  20. searun

Must watch video by Tom Davis on the Threats Facing the Future of Salmon Fishing

The intention of the video was to provide background for many of the issues facing the recreational fishery. There was excellent background information shared overall. I think getting too caught up in what we interpret the video clips to represent takes away from the intent of the video. We...
Back