Search results

1. P

Fishin the plugs

Another take. -Only pull the pins on plugs that I don't have a lot of confidence in. -Otherwise, tie to the speed ring (not to the weld). -No speed ring, then use #3-5 duo-lock snap (frees up action with the pivot point, and fishes better at slower speeds) -tiing to the tow bar works...
  2. P

August Tuna Run?

http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/modas/plots/pwc/sstr.gif Not as accurate as Terrafin/Ripcharts and no chloriphyl readings. But gives a basic idea on the temp breaks and "connection" of the Tuna highway
  3. P

left handed halibut

Brown side of head on starboard side with eyes on starboard side. But also on starboard side is the white tail-half. Twisted is the best description, one would guess.
  4. P

left handed halibut

Similar, but somewhere around here I got a pic of a "twisted" halibut. One side of it was brown and white, with the other was also brown and whte. The eyes were on the correct side if I remember right, but it as if the tail had been "twisted" around in a 180degree way somewhere along its...
  5. P

Scotty Warranty and Service - What's UP??

Spoke with the local scotty rep down here this morning. He informed me that there were no changes to the warranty.
  6. P

halibut report

To the south the derby mentalitiy is a perfect example of your concern. In washington's northern coastal areas the season is based off of quota that is only expected to last 5-10 days, and it causes some to "push that envelope", as for example the 2008 La Push Halibut opener in 2008...
  7. P

Renfrew 2010 Reports

Shoulda asked this fisheries guy if DFO is gonna stop the draggers from ahnialating the groundfish and groundfish habitat between swiftsure and la perouse. Some of the most prolific halibut spots are now just gone and have been for almost five years. Wonder how that halibut bycatch figures...
  8. P

Renfrew 2010 Reports

Looks to be decent tides this weekend. Any fresh PR salmon reports?
  9. P

Okuma Cavalla Mooching reels (review?)

No fish on the Cavalla. Just us two anglers went 2/4. Switching from right to left was infact a breeze. Drag seemed smooth and solid without a fish test. Lever will have to grow on me, but probably would work better for a right hand cranker. Wish the free was free'er. Wish it had finer...
  10. P

Reel showed up today and will see action in the morning. Hopefully a worthwhile chinook will make it break a sweat.
  11. P

cut plug/whole herring set up

Big ol' hand-length purple label herring will get a 7/0 for the lead hook (with a 4/0 trailer) often this summer and fall. Match the hooks to the size of your bait/lure, not to the size of the fish your targeting. You wouldn't put a 4/0 Siwash on a 7" Tomic plug would you? You wouldn't...
  12. P

That's what I was thinking pescador, and why I bit. Again thanks dogbreath. When I skimmed through that thread, my brain didn't catch "cavalla" or "moocher". "Centre Pin" to me means a castable steelhead float fishing reel for streams as it does to most steelheadfisherman (Okuma's Aventa...
  13. P

Thanks Dogbreath for the link, but I says nothing about the Cavalla mooching reels (don't care about the brand itself). It only talks about conventional/spinning reels and I'm asking about the mooching reel because I've had good luck with their higher end fly reels...
  14. P

It's not an Islander, I know. But it's in my pricepoint and it cranks left hand like the MR3. Not much of brand name guy, but usually do like to support the local companies. Higher priced Okuma fly reels have served me well so... I've ordered one. Any body own one (or more)? Let's hear...
  15. P

Who's really catching all the halibut?

Maybe us sporties are taking in the shorts this season so the bycatch of these shallow water draggers can continue for yet another year?
  16. P

Sickening picture. They were probably targeting petrole sole. The hake float, but the halibut must sink like a rock.
  17. P

One of my primary concerns regarding the impending halibut allocation meetings is these draggers that work in the shallow banks off of Barkley Sound. They seem to operate in 50-70 fathoms. When they come through, you can forget about coming back with your rods and reels as they will change a...
  18. P

Real or hoax?

It's media like this that causes some whacko to adopt (and/or breed) hundreds of critters like these in the name of protecting the poor little animals. Then keep them in utterably deplorable habitats, giving the peta-types even more fire. Propaganda.
  19. P

Prawns for salmon?

Cleaned a 10lb-ish chinook last week with about 4-5 prawns under 4" long in it. It also had the remnants sandlance as well. Not uncommon at all in bottom-feeding winter chinook.
  20. P

Tuna off WCVI - who's done it

The vicinity of the Nitnat Canyon has been good to us the last couple of years. Last week of August the past summer was especially productive with larger than average fish. Some very good advice being passed around so far. Just thought I'd give a little pointer as to where. Tight temp breaks...
Back