Search results

1. N

Buying fresh Tuna

I'm considering going to the dock today and buying a Tuna directly from a boat. My only experience with Tuna is that which comes from a can. Any ideas on what to look for, how to prepare it (I expect it will be whole and cleaned) and how to cook it? I'm thinking BBQ. I'll search the net...
  2. N

Georgia Straight Krill Fishery

Many years ago I read about the millions of tonne of Krill trawled from the Straight every year. I was trying to research this subject but not coming up with much. Does anyone have any links or info on the BC krill fishery. Is it still ongoing and, if so, what would be the purpose of...
  3. N

Salish Sea

Per the TC: Strait talk: Salish Sea may someday separate Island from mainland Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist Published: Sunday, March 09, 2008 By George! There's talk of renaming Strait of Georgia the Salish Sea. A representative of the Chemainus First Nations this week put the idea to...
  4. N

Illegal High Seas Driftnet

Found this on the DFO site, there's more to the article but this is the gist: Vessels Confiscated and Licences Cancelled for Illegal High Seas Driftnet Use in North Pacific Ocean February 22, 2008 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------...
  5. N

Commercial fishing

I thought as long as we are looking at various sectors, we might discuss what we know to be true about commercial fishers. How are they paid, how is EI determined (gross revenue vs. net income) and what is the perceived and actual value to the economy? I don't have a lot of input to it...
  6. N

Anglers eagerly await return of pinks

Quote from TC today: Venture seeks to revive sport fishery by releasing hatchery-reared fry Sandra Mcculloch, Times Colonist Published: Monday, February 11, 2008 They're growing fast now, and the 250,000 pink salmon fry have lost the egg sacs from their bellies. It's starting to look like...
  7. N

Funny fishing stories

There must be an aweful lot of funny fishing stories out there - guided or otherwise. Here's one of my favorites - having the caustic sense of humour that I do: I'm guiding on a group of about 15 boats or so up in Campbell River (perhaps mid 90's.) At the time I was guiding independently...
Back