Search results

1. Stoisy

Big Fish - Big Spoons or Plugs?

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts on whether they prefer using larger spoons or plugs if they are targeting larger fish. The old adage of "big bait = big fish" still holds true for gear, but do you like spoons or plugs more? Obviously, cut plugs are the go-to method for the largest fish on the...
  2. Stoisy

WANTED: 20 lbs cannon balls?

Anyone have any 20s for sale? Ideally with stainless steel eyes. Thanks
  3. Stoisy

Aluminum Boat Painting?

Hi all, Looking to paint an aluminum hull. Both exterior, interior and the centre console. Not looking for a vinyl wrap. Does anyone have suggestions? Located in Nanaimo. Cheers,
  4. Stoisy

Plug Misalignment??

Hey all, Plugs. Some fish better some fish worse. What are the opinions on plugs with an "offset" or "misaligned" shovel like the one in the picture? Will this make the plug less effective or could it add some randomness to the movements? Cheers
  5. Stoisy

Plug Eye Colour?

Hey all, Plug eyes… most are yellow, the odd ones are pink. Why? Is there a reason that yellow is the standard? Does anyone modify? Glow? UV? All black? Eyes are obviously important for bait fish and would likely be a target point for an attacking salmon. So I’m surprised there’s not more...
  6. Stoisy

Thicker Rail Mounts for Scotty

Hey all, Curious if anyone has mod'ed or fabricated rail mounts for thicker rails than Scotty makes (1" and 1 1/4")? I've got some bow rails that are 2" in diameter and want to have rod holders mounted up front. Any suggestions or experience with this would be appreciated. Cheers,
  7. Stoisy

Favourite Hooks For Each Setup?

Hey all, What are everyone's favourite hook setups for the gear that you are using? If you have specific brands or styles/shapes I'd be happy to hear the specifics. Hoochies? Single siwash? or tandem gammys/owners? Plugs? I've started trying to use some smaller gammys, have tried both...
  8. Stoisy

Favourite Crab Traps?

Hey all, Just curious what everyone’s favourite crab traps are? I’d assume the large, commercial style fish the best, but they are large and take up a lot of space in the boat... not opposed to them, but curious to hear other’s thoughts and options. Cheers
  9. Stoisy

Waterwolf Cameras?

Anyone got one or two kicking around? Cheers, Steve
  10. Stoisy

Thick Rubber Mesh Nets

Hey all, Looking to track down a catch and release net that is not the thin gauge coated material used by Gibbs and most other manufacturers. Similar to the Gibbs Rubber nets - https://www.gibbsdelta.com/product/gibbs-rubber-net/ - but with a larger "Chinook" sized bag. Or even if anyone knows...
  11. Stoisy

Fuel in Esperanza and Kyuquot?

Hey all, Heading out to Esperanza and Kyuquot area - will be playing it by beer on where we focus on. Will fuel up at Critter on the way out. Curious if anyone knows if Newton Cove will still be supplying fuel (even though not open) or if there is a public fuel dock in Kyuquot? Thanks for...
  12. Stoisy

Fly Fishing Only Regulations...?

Hi all, Curious what some might know about fly only sections of river and what constitutes fly fishing...? For example, using a fly rod and fly line, but using a bead? Is that any different from using an egg fly pattern? And does the rod dictate the method, or does the lure at the end? Anyone...
  13. Stoisy

Custom Sturgeon Sling

I know this isn't directly SW forum material, but there must be a few guys on that have info on this? And it will be used for salmon in the SW... but... Curious if anyone knows where (or who) the sturgeon slings are fabricated? I've reached out the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society and...
  14. Stoisy

Custom Sturgeon Sling?

Hi all, Curious if anyone knows where (or who) the sturgeon slings are fabricated? I've reached out the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society and not heard back yet. We are looking for a custom job, smaller (salmon sized), and one that would have the ends enclosed allowing water to be...
  15. Stoisy

Boat Surveyor - Nanaimo?

Hey all, Just curious if anyone knows a dependable surveyor in Nanaimo? Thanks
  16. Stoisy

Jet Conversion?

Hey all, Anyone have experience converting an outboard from prop to jet? I've got a 2015 40hp yammi and am wanting to convert to a jet lower unit for use in rivers. Any advice on who to talk to would be appreciated. Cheers
  17. Stoisy

Catamarans? Yes or No?

Hey all, Just curious why we see so few cats around BC, and maybe some insight on why they aren't more popular. I know they are very popular in the southern hemisphere and are supposed to ride incredibly well in rough seas. So, why don't we see more of them in BC? What are the negatives that...
  18. Stoisy

Price of a Pod

Hey guys, Tried searching for this but couldn't find anything on pods. Does anyone have any experience putting a pod on a smaller boat, 15 feet, and how it helped the performance? I've got a 4-stroke on the back of an older Hourston, and she sits low in the stern now. Would it make sense to add...
  19. Stoisy

WTB: Anchor for 15 foot boat

Hey all, Looking for a complete anchor set-up for a 15 foot hulled tiller. Cheers
  20. Stoisy

Scotty tilt mount?

Anyone have a couple tilt brackets kicking around? http://scotty.com/product/no-1023-tilt-up-mounting-bracket/ Looking to grab em for cheap if someone has some they know will never be used. Cheers
Back