Search results

1. M

2023 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

All summer would have been better than just August. I was away in May and missed the MSF. That said, I agree with you. And before Admin gets involved... 😀 looking forward to more fishing reports!
  2. M

The only restriction Sep 1 is a minimum. Not sure what the bs comment is about.
  3. M

From "FN0653-Recreational - Salmon - Chinook Management Measures - Southeast Vancouver Island - Areas 18, 19, 20, and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 - effective August 1, 2023; and Subareas 20-1, 20-2, Effective July 15, 2023" which you may find here (my bold highlight): AREA 19 Chinook retention...
  4. M

Started about 6 am at Clover Point and immediately had two unmarked coho we let go. Proceeded to load the tub with pinks, despite several long line releases and a few small springs and pinks let go at the boat, plus one more coho released. Left two slots for springs but as they failed to hook up...
  5. M

14' welded aluminum, 25hp Yamaha 4-stroke, EZ Loader trailer $12,500

A friend's boat, purchased new a few years ago to run from Saltery Bay to Nelson Island, is for sale. Great ride, works really well, but his cabin on Nelson Island is no longer his, so the boat is for sale. Has mounts installed to set up downriggers and rod holders for fishing, none of which...
  6. M

2022 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Off Clover Point, yesterday was getting them at 70' in 200' water. Three unmarked to the boat, plus one small spring. One marked kept, and plenty of hits w/out hookup. Seemed to have action, rest 20 - 30 minutes, action, rest; repeat. Other boats equally busy. Much fun handling double header on...
  7. M

Looks more like a dodger than a flasher. Could be wrong. I know at least one good fisherman who said he's switched to dodgers.
  8. M

Fished yesterday 8 am - 11 am. Released a nice 8 # unmarked coho caught on bait. My nephew trolling an AP spoon, me using bait, we had a double header where we netted his 15 # spring. I had to leave mine to soak while I netted his; mine was gone when his was in the boat. Picked up a lingcod...
  9. M

Gear down 9 am, 13 pound chinook netted 9:30. Coho killer, 70 ft, Clover Point. Saw another fish caught 9:15 or so, but I wasn't out long enough to see more.
  10. M

Fished this morning 8 am. Fish on 8:15, landed and bonked it as under 80 cm. Weighed 10 1/2 pounds. Took it on a 4 inch AP herring spoon, same as worked well last year, at 60' in about 100' water off of Clover Point. Only the 3rd spring I've kept this season; wanted one to feed visiting guests.
  11. M

2022 Sooke Reports

Read the Fishery Notice https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=261328&ID=all for your area. Victoria waterfront to Sooke that most on this forum fish goes to two (2) chinook per day Sep. 1, subject to minimum and annual limit. Consider entering SVIAC derby once...
  12. M

Out front was decent Sunday morning. I had a shaker and a spring maybe 4 lb to warm up. Lost a mid-teener doing a classic net foul up at the boat. Had a few more 4 - 5 lb springs to release, and finally one about 8 - 9 lb that fought like a champ and went back to grow bigger. Bait ruled, big or...
  13. M

2021 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

EA has instructions from the camera company support on how to reset the camera. This cannot be done remotely, according to that support. Why it had either a default admin password or an easily cracked password... dunno, and history now, so let's move forward with posts on fishing!
  14. M

2021 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Pinks near Clover Point too. We hooked 5 or 6 last Monday fishing 45 to 55 feet down. They lived another day, unlike the couple of springs we kept. I was biking by CP on Saturday and chatted with someone getting off the water with 3 pinks and a spring. Suggest, as above, use lures. If using...
  15. M

2020 Sidney Reports

They still take the shrimp that used to attract the springs.
  16. M

Your old GPS may not handle epoch rollover April 6, 2019

Perhaps you've been thinking of upgrading your GPS? Maybe it's time: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/12/current_gps_epoch_ends/ My old handheld Garmin GPSmap76 is at risk. Last firmware update was in 2006. A note to Garmin got this reply: "Unfortunately, there's no way to know if this...
  17. M

2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Fuel Spill - Subarea 19-2 - Esquimalt Harbour Closure to all Fishing Continues In case anyone is out with the nice weather, one place not to fish right now is Esquimalt Harbour. Spill was almost three years ago??!! Category(s): ABORIGINAL - General Information, COMMERCIAL - General...
  18. M

Recent notice from DFO: Subject: FN1077-General Information - All Areas - Crab Multi-Sectoral Meeting - October 19, 2018 The annual Crab multi-sectoral committee meeting is being held October 19, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. at the Coast Bastion Hotel in Nanaimo. All representatives that have been...
  19. M

Sorry, I know it's a typo, but the mental image of you all "jogging" around the boat made me laugh. Best bet for jigging herring in my opinion is the Admirals Road bridge. It will get crowded at times but the weather hardly matters. As with anything, timing is important, but when the schools are...
  20. M

BC Auction rods 'n reels to Feb 23 in Langley

A heads up for lower mainland folks. Check BC Auction site. I've no connection to them and have never bought through them, but know people who have.
Back