Search results

1. Sea Ranger

Lake Cowichan Report?

Thanks for the reply, I will fish mostly the creek mouths looking for that 49 and 3/4 cm size cuttie. I'll give the batrix a real good try before putting out the tried and true plugs.(if they're tried and true I should just fish with them...lol.) Think I will fish the youbou side to start with...
  2. Sea Ranger

Lake Cowichan Report?

I know cutties in Cowichan lake like fry as it seems everyone fishes with plugs and I'm probably better off keeping with plugs too. But I do like the idea of trolling a worm across the creek mouths. Guys talk about always fish the river mouths but there must be some cutties out in the middle...
  3. Sea Ranger

Lake Cowichan Report?

I think I can catch salmon a lot better then trout thats for sure but it seems the cutthroat like plugs this time of year. So I was thinking about trying out the small batrix fish and instead of using a plug action it will give it the anchovie roll look. Was also thinking about trolling a Big...
  4. Sea Ranger

fishing sole/flounder from a boat

Whirl Bay is a good spot for Sole, Stingzilda's or Buzzbomb type lures work well. I once thought that if Sole live in the area then Halibut wiould live there too but then someone told me the opposite...."Halibut eat Sole so if there are sole living there then there would be no Halibut there. I...
  5. Sea Ranger

Where are all the crab?

I've never been prawning but it is on my bucket list.... would shrimp heads work???... lol.
  6. Sea Ranger

Where are all the crab?

Thanks for the info.... I've been putting the traps in 50 ft of water, you wouldn't think that 10 ft would make that much difference but will give 40 ft a try.... thanks.... Steve.
  7. Sea Ranger

Where are all the crab?

I was out fishing a few weeks back and after letting the 2 crab traps soak all day we pulled up nothing.... not a female, no males, no sea lice..... nothing. Even the bait was untouched.... a sea food mix of anchovie's(old bait), Mackrel, Salmon head and a bunch of ripe salmon eggs. I thought...
  8. Sea Ranger

Sooke 2013 Fishing Reports

Happy New Year to everyone. For the first time in about 4 or 5 years we actually made it out winter spring fishing. Fished last Saturday and managed to get a 10, 9 and 8 lbs in the boat and let one shacker go. Caught all the fish right in front of the flag pole at Cheannuh. 140 feet on the...
  9. Sea Ranger

rs, The hole is drilled in the edge of the flasher near the tail bend and causes a bubble disturbance in the water, "they" say it helps to attract the fish. I don't know if it will work....lol. It was one of those winter ideas that I found to waste some time, it beats sharpening hooks.... Steve.
  10. Sea Ranger

Thanks for the report FISH, I was hoping to get out fishing some time between Christmas and New years. I haven't been out since summer. As long as its not below zero I'll give it a try. I've heard of a few big winter springs getting caught, and a 12 lb winter spring is a big fish. I've got a...
  11. Sea Ranger

Cowichan lake

Also the largest cuttie caught this year in the derby was 65 cm.
  12. Sea Ranger

Cowichan lake

This last weekend the King Cutthrout trout derby was held up at Cowichan Lake and the 3 winning fish were: 1st place..... 3 lbs 2oz 2nd place.....3 lbs 1 oz 3rd place.....2 lbs 6 oz I didn't weigh in a winning fish myself but did manage a 53 cm cuttie, was fun to catch but had to let it go as...
  13. Sea Ranger

Cowichan lake

Wow, you are in close. I will surely give that a try. I fish close to shore but never that close.... Now I'm getting excited....lol. We leave right after work today and will be back on Sunday. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks ff, that little tip might make all the difference in the world!!!
  14. Sea Ranger

Winter Springs

You can cook FRESH Salmon 10 different ways and I would still like it. Haven't had poached in a long time, will have to try it soon. A friend of mine would take the scraps from salmon fillets, mix it with lemon juice and soy sauce let it sit for a few minutes and enjoy!!! very good sushi. In...
  15. Sea Ranger

Cowichan lake

Thanks for all the info ff. It sounds like your fishing right on the surface without weight and did you mean your plug is at 15 or 20 feet or the water is only 15 to 20 feet deep? I know Shaw and little Shaw but will have to look up Meades and will be sure to give that a go.... thanks.
  16. Sea Ranger

Cowichan lake

I'm heading up to Cowichan this weekend. where is the hot spot this time of year? At the creek mouths I know but which one...lol. And how deep? Plugs? spoons? worms? troll a black fly on the surface? I don't seem to catch a lot on plugs, maybe I'm going to slow?
  17. Sea Ranger

Funny/Amazing youtube thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZhZAr1cQU I watched this video.... then I watched it again.... then I watched again.... then I watched it again....well... you'll see watch it yourself....lol.
  18. Sea Ranger

What is this Fish?

Thats the shortest fatest little rainbow ever. Weird or what??? ... hope you didn't eat it...lol.
  19. Sea Ranger

Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Well that helps to clear things up...lol. I did some site surfing and found a thread that was very informative. It talks a lot about bait, some guys say to match the bait thats out there and some guys swear by.... bigger baits catch bigger fish and what works here might not work in other places...
  20. Sea Ranger

Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

I was hoping to get an answer for these questions..... anyone???
Back