Search results

1. L

Salmon fishing around Saturna / Mayne?

Anybody have any experience fishing around Saturna and/or Mayne Island? I've heard people used to catch salmon right off of East Point on Saturna... It looks like a cool spot to fish, although I know there is an RCA. lots of seals too. anyone have any tips/spots/thoughts they're willing...
  2. L

Upper Campbell lake at Strathcona

Hi All I am headed to a friends wedding at Strathcona Lodge on Upper Campbell lake this weekend. I have agreed to host a fishing session with the kids on Saturday. I looked at the map of the grounds and there is a 'fishing point' marked... but I couldn't find anything about the lake in my...
  3. L

Brooks Bay / Lawn Point tips?

Hey All We are headed on our annual kayak trip this year at the end of July and are headed up to the north end of the Brooks Peninsula and going to paddle around the Lawn Point / Brooks Bay area. As per usual, we'll be fishing... I've been trolling spoons mostly with a 6 or 8 oz slip...
  4. L

Sockey at Rivers Inlet?

I've recently been reading the Raincoast Chronicles and came across a story about the canneries at Rivers and Smiths Inlets. I've was able to see the remains of one cannery at Rivers in the few weeks I spent up there over a decade ago, but at the time I didn't realize that they were canning...
  5. L

smoked tuna recipes?

anybody have some brine recipes for smoking tuna? i was going to try one regular hot smoke and then some candied tuna... does the same sort of soy/salt and brown sugar mixes do the trick? thanks in advance. likwit
  6. L

Albert Head advice

Hi there I'm determined to catch a salmon at albert head. So far 2 bites in 4 outings but nothing to show for it. Any suggestions on where/how to fish it? seem to usually find some bait on the gravel pit side, and the current rips pretty good off of the point... the west side kinda seems...
  7. L

2008 RCA areas - same as 2007?

I looked up RCA areas on the Pac dfo site, but only found those for 2007... anybody know if it's the same in 2008? or maybe i missed it on the site? cheers likwit
  8. L

Any Chance of a crab in Kyuquot?

This year for our annual kayak trip we will be in Kyuquot sound... we are starting at the bottom end of the Brooks and working our way down. A little while ago there was a post about sea otters and their effects on local shellfish and crustacean populations. Any one know if there are any...
  9. L

Salmon in Victoria lately?

It seems hali is all the rage right now... but i was wondering if anyone has been out for salmon lately in Victoria. Constance? Waterfront? ??? Any reports? I'm hoping to get out after work on the weekend this week...
  10. L

River Fishing Solution

I was talking about salmon issues with a friend this weekend... the decline of salmon stocks being a primary focus of the discussion. Living in Victoria, the whole size limit for chinooks this march to save the early Fraser run was part of our discussion. My ranting led me to the issue of...
  11. L

Smoked Cod or Snapper

Hey everyone... I got some white fleshed fish from the summer (cod, snapper, rockfish) that i'm thinking should be used sooner than later. Anyone ever smoked any ling, snapper, rockfish before? How'd it turn out? Soy brown sugar combo? Other recipes or suggestions? cheers likwit
  12. L

in or out? summer fishing in sooke/victoria

when fishing up north (charlottes, central coast and north coast) the majority of the time i felt more fish were caught fairly in close to the shore... near walls, points, hump, in bays, etc... basically anywhere with structure. as the summer approaches, i am looking at my third summer...
  13. L

Handheld VHF radio

i need a handheld vhf. anyone have any suggestions on make or model? i was looking for something under 200 bucks, its just to have when fishing around victoria. i looked at this site: http://ca.binnacle.com/index.php?cPath=12_282 there are radios from ikom, standard horizon, and...
  14. L

Fish Farms vs Commercial Fishing

i love fishing reports and tips, but it seems there is alot of threads about dwindling stocks, fisheries mismanagement, etc. it is obviously a complicated issue, and clearly the 'blame' rests on a lot of different shoulders. given the general distaste for commercial openings on dwindling...
  15. L

Winter Springs - To Keep or to Release?

Hey All As the last of the coho's run through the straight, winter spring fishing is just around the corner. Truly we are blessed to be able to fish for salmon year round like we can. Living in Victoria, it is so awesome to be able to head out whenever the weather is nice and know that there...
  16. L

Fishing the tides around Sooke/Victoria

Hi All I have been lurking for some time, and finally joined the forum. Lots of great fishing info here, most of the time without all the squabbling. I look forward to taking part! My question is for Victoria/Sooke salties... What are preferences with regards to the tides for salmon...
Back