Search results

1. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

54 F and the trout are hitting steadily. 5 to the boat, released 3 smalls (10-12"). Lost at least a dozen others. Nice afternoon on Elk lake.
  2. islandboy

2024 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Tuesday? I marked some fish and bait Tuesday out where the crab boats were laying traps in front of Saxe pt around 8 am, but was unable to get any takers.
  3. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

Out on Elk lake before the wind picked up. 53 F
  4. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

Elk was 51F. Trout were hitting steadily.
  5. islandboy

Elk Lake

Trout are hitting. 51F
  6. islandboy

Elk Lake

Check out this FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/115928818478137/?ref=share&mibextid=lOuIew
  7. islandboy

Beauty day to bottom bounce a choked herring. Pulled up a rock-fish (2 weeks too early :( ) and a Sablefish (??). Released both. Fairly sure it was a Sablefish though AI identified it first as a Lingcod, then a Coho.
  8. islandboy

Here's the modification: Slice and insert a small piece of plastic on one side (right in picture). I use leftover zip tie plastic. Cut a recess on the opposite side so the bump you created tucks in. This holds the system to the main line while fishing. See below. I watched this and came up...
  9. islandboy

The clips only release by hand. The weight is attached to the clip with 15 lb monofilament that is the breaking point. I've only snapped one off.
  10. islandboy

I use modified clip weights while trolling or mooching. 16 oz on one side 8 oz on the other. I bottom bounce the 16. If it hangs up all I lose is the weight.
  11. islandboy

I was using 16 oz this time. Probably would have been fine to use 6 or 8.
  12. islandboy

The last time I was pulled like this it was a 28 lb salmon. This time who knows :( I located a huge school of bait and fish about 1.5 km out from Saxe pt. Jigged up some herring. Rigged one up and dropped it to the bottom. Then the ride went into reverse! :)
  13. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

Elk was 49 F. Trout were active. Took a couple home.
  14. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

Prospect lake was 51F and the trout are active. Managed to lose most before getting them to the net. One even snapped off on it's second tug. All on gold bead leaches, black, green, and red.
  15. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

Elk lake is warming up. Black leach produced. Not a bad way to finish the license year.
  16. islandboy

South Island lakes 2024

Interesting morning on Elk lake. Tried everything before connecting with a black leach behind a mini-flasher. Kept one for dinner. Quite a fighter and chubby before cleaning. Stuffed full of chironomids. Came across pinnacles of bait out deep: Edit: from another site "Those are stacks of old...
  17. islandboy

Saturday and Sundays are the busiest.
  18. islandboy

Very interesting. Heading North or West? On the flood or ebb?
  19. islandboy

Report of a herring spawn off Fort Rodd Hill. Anyone confirm this?
  20. islandboy

All quiet out front? Rowed for a couple hours this morning in the current. Only a couple other boats and they were scattered. Bounced bottom in front of Macaulay and Saxe point, 100 to 150. Marked a handful in front of Macaulay at 40' in 90.
Back