Search results

1. C

It's only money right??? Remote steering or Auto pilot?

Installed mine two years ago. Been telling everyone it's a game changer but they all just roll their eyes and buy Islanders. Get your new friend Auto, better money spent than an Islander.
  2. C

2024 Sidney Reports

It was a great Derby again. Some of the volunteers have been doing this for 15 years and finding it hard to do the work. Without some younger blood getting involved it may not happen. Hats off to them and let's hope we see some new younger faces helping out if it goes ahead next year. From...
  3. C

What's for dinner tonight ?

Did the 200 feet diet tonight. Chicken that started as eggs and never left the property, butternut squash gravy with backyard basil, parsley, garlic, rosemary. Spaghetti squash. Beets, and a few asparagus that popped up in the sunshine today.
  4. C

2024 Sidney Reports

A week before the Big Derby and the Sidney Anglers' guest speaker tomorrow night is Chris Gurr of Rite Angle. He's doing a presentation on cutting herring strip. Three of the four fish caught last weekend in the Sidney Anglers in House derby were caught on strip. Meeting is tomorrow night...
  5. C

2024 Sidney Reports

It is frustrating reading the regulations. They have the technology for better maps and the Sidney Anglers Association has sent a letter to DFO asking them to do a better job. Here is the letter sent. Maybe something will happen, but not holding our breath
  6. C

2024 Sidney Reports

19-5 is still open for wild. Species Areas Min size Gear Limits (d/p/a) Status Chinook salmon 19-2 -/-/- Closed 19-5,19-6 62cm Barbless Hook & Line 2/4/10 Open (See Restrictions) 19-7 to 19-12 62cm Barbless Hook & Line 2/4/10 Open (See Restrictions) Chinook salmon (hatchery)...
  7. C

2024 Sidney Reports

Lots of fish and crabs around today. But nothing Derby winning size. Took a friend out and he kept two 7-8lbs. Released another half dozen 45-63cm. Sidney Spit and Coal. Find the bait.
  8. C

What forecast model do you use in Windy and Why

I use Windy but set the layer to wind gusts. It give you the potential winds when they are inconsistent predictions, especially this time of year.
  9. C

Raymarine Radar with C120 and C70 plotters

For sale - Raymarine MFD and Radar system. This was just removed from my boat, all in good working condition Just updated my electronics. Raymarine C120 head unit Raymarine C70 head unit 18“ Radar GPS Antenna Updated Navionics chip Radar wire had to be cut to remove, so will need to be...
  10. C

2024 Sidney Reports

The Sidney Anglers Fundraising Event is a go this year. Last weekend of March, Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st. Tickets are limited to 75 boats and are selling fast. Here is the link with all the details. https://www.sidneyanglers.ca/ Just click on the Islander reel to purchase a ticket.
  11. C

Salmon Netting Technique

Patience and communication. Could not get yesterday's fish to the best side of the boat to net as my 84 year old friend has arthritis and poor balance. We adapted to the situation and fish into the net. Easy peasy. Just relax, if it's hooked well it's not getting off.
  12. C

2023 Sidney Reports

Definitely nice fish around. Checked the traps off Deep Cove, loaded with prawns. Lots of prawns with eggs. Spent a bit of time sorting them and the smalls. the most egged prawns I've seen for this time of year. Hope that is a good sign for the future. Quick one hour fish with an old friend and...
  13. C

Black friday deals 2023

I have a pair of old LCX 27s you can have. Out in Deep Cove.
  14. C

2023 Sidney Reports

Looking at the calm waters and sunshine went for a boat ride around Sidney. Not a lot of fish around, but half were 7-8lbs. Released to grow a little bigger. Squirts out fished spoons today. Crabbing sucks. All around Sidney spit wall to wall commercials.
  15. C

Gardening pics, hacks, successes, and or failures

Soil is made of organic matter. End of story. Soil you purchase is usually just a bunch of dirt, sand, maybe organic matter, and anything else they have around sifted to look nice and fluffy. Just mulched a 1000 garlic and a few hundred asparagus plants with grass clippings and leaves. Been...
  16. C

Island Fires

What time do the thermal winds in the Inlet start to lay down? Wondering if it's best to go down to Bamfield late in the day or the other way to come back and hit the evening road closures. Thinking less traffic then.
  17. C

WCFT New Products Launch 2023 - OPEN DISCUSSION

Contacted Jeff and ask for a custom spoon to experiment with. Jeff did the spoons up and at my door by the end of the week. Tried them out and they are out fishing the other spoons 3 to 1. Thanks Jeff.
  18. C

2023 Sidney Reports

Did the afternoon fish today after the crowds left the ramp and waters. We picked up two, 11 and 12 lbs, and lost one more nice one. Lure of choice was a Westcoast Tackle Irish Cream Little Phat E. Not bad for a quick afternoon fish. One of them was custom job from Jeff with a modification I...
  19. C

2023 Sidney Reports

Hope this helps. Took me a while to find the maps. https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/includes/Portion_of_Subarea_18-6.png https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/chq-co/18-chq-eng.pdf Species Areas Min size Gear Limits (d/p/a) Status Chinook salmon 18-9 -/-/- Closed...
  20. C

2023 Sidney Reports

West of Arbutus is open until August 1,then likely shut down. That portion of Subarea 18-6 west of a line from Isabella Point on Saltspring Island (48 degrees 44.0239’ N, 123 degrees 25.5622’W) to Harry Point on Piers Island (48 degrees 42.6137' N, 123 degrees 25.1697’W); AND west of a line...
Back