Search results

1. J

RANT: SFAB meeing Wednesday Mar 21 7pm (Victoria)

What on this planet has been achieved without confrontation? I can't think of much that has any meaning. I would rather have 0 per day then 1 per day. They will make it 1 per day this year and people will accept it a few will fight but next thing you know it's 1 per day forever once they...
  2. J

RANT: SFAB meeing Wednesday Mar 21 7pm (Victoria)

The meeting is at the Sheraton FourPoints Hotel in langford I hope everyone attends (this is the same hotel as the hali seminar right?) I remember the last time there was a meeting towards the end of 2011 there was also a Cancucks Vrs. Chicago game the same night. Turn out was poor and I am...
  3. J

kicker motor quick connect

Your probably better off to build your own then buy some chinese peice of junk and trying to make it work for you. The connectors on an EZ steer are ok but not the best and they often get you to install it on the back of your leg near the prop meaning you need to lean way the hell out and tilt...
  4. J

New Halibut Regulations Update

What a gong show. They should have just made it 1/1 or left it at 1/2 this slot limit is silly and may extend the season a few days but it isn't really going to help anything. I just hope the season lasts to September again longer would be nice but at least make it to September. If it gets shut...
  5. J

Halibut: Change to size of fish within possession limit.

They should just make it 1 per day 1 in posession don't encourage the killing of really small fish it's not worth it let them grow!
  6. J

YEAH more restrictons for area 19/20

This is the same notice that was posted last week in both the victoria and sooke report threads isn't it? Just want to be clear if this is a change or if it is the same restriction? Has anyone heard of an angler who got in trouble for having a fish out of the slot limit? I don't know if DFO...
  7. J

Stringer / deck replacement

How does one know when it's time to re do stringers, transom etc. I have an old hourston that is from the 70's. No idea if it was ever re-built. Transom seems solid meaning it does not bend or flex, it has a smaller motor (60hp 4 stroke) so I am not too worried about that. The floor also...
  8. J

Just got off the phone with Chuck Ascroft SFAB regarding Halibut

I'll ask it again. Why is everyone so caught up in the division of the TAC and not the TAC itself. The TAC is going down and down every year. Why? It's got to be a conservation issue and it IS the main problem. Lets say next year we get what your all asking for 20% of the TAC.... but the...
  9. J

What about a different solution that involves a size limit but instead of an upper slot limit make a minimum size limit. Most fisheries have a minimum size limit not an upper size limit. It sounds really silly to me that the average fish off of WCVI is under 15 pounds. Why are people...
  10. J

This idea of 1/2 with only one over 15 pounds is essentially 1/1. Who is going to go out to the bank on that second day to try for a 15 pounder? Isn't that a rare catch for a hali? Even chickens average bigger than that don't they? It doesn't make sense for anyone even charter guys if I paid...
  11. J

2012 Halibut trip thread.

Got out with Bag Juan on friday. First Hali's of the year and first Hali's ever landed in my boat. I got the chicken and the old master brought in the other. We didn't take any measurements and as I have not caught hali's before I am not going to guess on their weight. I must have not...
  12. J

RCA Tracks

I would like to know how you did it for my HDS 7
  13. J

2012 Halibut trip thread.

Hey Holmes you should take down those pictures of the previous seasons Hali's... DFO might get confused and take those off our 2012 quota!
  14. J

RCA's & Ling Cod?

Like Craven said I expect Lings to open in area 19-20 around June 1 as they have past years. That said there is no fishing for Lings, Salmon or anything in an RCA. I am surprised they even let you drop a crab trap.
  15. J

Commercial Hooks?

Great pic Nog I hope you don't mind if I use it as an example. Would Nogs pic above be considered a barbless hook by fisheries? All my old plugs have large hooks with huge barbs and I can't get them pinched any better than what he has done there but I'm thinking fisheries would not be too...
  16. J

In hull or transom mount transducer

What about marking fish through the hull? Can you still see as much detail?
  17. J

does anyone know Hali sidney

Watch out for the huge closure zone near D'Arcy there are some nice looking spots in there but it's all closed. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s19-eng.htm
  18. J

Prawnanza

I had similar results yesterday but where I was prawning we only got one female with eggs out of the hundreds upon hundreds of prawns caught. Some appeared to have eggs forming (orange goop in their head) but they were not there yet so we kept them. Must be the area I was fishing as I have...
  19. J

Halibut: Bad News

The ****** thing about all this is about 5 years ago there was a surplus in hali's and the rec sector did not take our entire quota so we sold what remains to the commercials. This raised hundreds of thousands of dollars that was put into a trust account. That money could have been used to...
  20. J

Hardtop or Soft top on Malibu 185?

Sorry I don't know the ceiling height but I would guess it is around 5ft maybe even a little less. It's a low one for sure but my hull is from the 1970's most of the newer boats are taller than mine.
Back