Search results

1. R

Downrigger ball rubber snubber

I like em for two reasons (1) easy to handle the balls and (2) prevents the system from being shock loaded - as much - when someone lets go of the brake too quickly while dropping the ball.
  2. R

Best VI waters for small boat, beginner crew?

There is a small fleet of boats you describe that fish the Nanaimo area (I am one of them). As everyone has said, just pick the weather. The joys of these boats is the ease at which you can trailer them around. Port Alberni in the AM, Campbell River, French Creek, Bamfield, Uki, Tofino are...
  3. R

Weston pro 2100 vacuum sealer questions

I've had mine for a long time and it still does a great job. Use it for fish, moose, deer and all the bulk packs of meat my wife buys from Costco.
  4. R

Malibu 182

Had one. Sold it. Regret selling it to this day. Good at most everything, great at nothing. Benefited from trim tabs. Fished all over the Island and offshore on the nice days. Man I miss it...
  5. R

Looking for 16-18ft Double Eagle or Hourston

Wow, this is a thread that I started 10 years ago! FYI, I am no longer looking for a boat (ha!) and think I am two boats pas the Double Eagle. Cheers
  6. R

Small 25 hp Tohatsu outboards

Ajac's in Nanaimo has them in stock. I looked at them in the early summer and gave them serious consideration but found a better price on a Suzuki. They sure do get good reviews.
  7. R

2020 Nanaimo Reports

Saw you out there while we were walking at Pipers and was a little envious. I cover ground fairly quickly in the winter months and am usually fishing pretty much on the bottom. I like spoons during the winter as I like they way they fish when trolling faster. While I am encouraged when I find...
  8. R

Union Bay Boat Launch

The actual launch is only useable at high tides and would also depend on the draft of your boat. At other times, you need to back in beside the launch and angle towards the breakwater as there is a deep(er) channel there. It can be an adventure and I have seen many stuck trucks there. I'd...
  9. R

6HP KICKER FOR 18" glass BOAT?

Avoid the 6 as it's a single. It'll vibrate and make more noise than the twin. I thought I was saving money but in the end it wasn't worth it.
  10. R

New 20hp 4st?

Thanks. The Yami are still carb'd and heavier. Both the Suzi and Merc are EFI. I am keen on EFI.
  11. R

New 20hp 4st?

I'm considering upgrading from my 20hp 2st Yamaha which I love but I'm about done with the smell and trolling behavior. Looking for a short shaft, electric start. I'm partial to Suzuki but the new Mercs have seen some fairly positive reviews (I like the tiller location in particular). Does...
  12. R

Dip netting , sproat

They could have been scooping bi-samples if it was right at the tunnels.
  13. R

Help choosing a prop

I had this boat with a Honda 115 which is heavier than the Yamaha. While I don't have the boat anymore and I can't remember what pitch I ran, what I can say is adding a set of trim tabs (I installed Bennett) made a world of difference. Not only did it get things up on step faster, but it kept...
  14. R

Staying fresh on the chuck

Hydration...and I mean water!
  15. R

Gas prices up again

$0.16/liter jump overnight in Nanaimo and it isn't even the long weekend yet!
  16. R

Seachoice Filters?

I've been running one without issue. I think they are also compatible with Racor replacement filters.
  17. R

DFO Update on Fraser Chinook Tuesday 11:30 am

The map is not the legal description and the circles are likely intended to provide an indication.
  18. R

VHF radio AIS

I just set one up last week. Baud rate must be set to 38400. If it was working and now is not, I'd look at the wire connections. Those NMEA wires are awful thin and it wouldn't take much corrosion or mechanical action to cause a poor connection.
  19. R

Fiberglass shop Nanaimo

POD did some repairs on my boat a number of years ago. Work was top notch and the guys were pleasant and responsive. Good luck
  20. R

fuel tanks flush and pressure test

Thanks. I spoke with E&D and if it is gas they pretty much won't touch it unless it has been steam cleaned. I've got a few calls in and awaiting responses. Right not it sounds like it might be cheaper to have a new aluminum tank fab'd than to have the original cleaned and fixed up. FYI - I...
Back