Search results

1. Ghostprof

Losing lures without breaking a line ... or a knot

So I'm no stranger to losing lures on the bottom, and take my lumps as part of the cost of fishing for rock-bottom fish. Fine. But twice in the last month I've lost lures only to find not only that the line (80lb braid) has not broken, but the knot is still intact too. As in, the loop is still...
  2. Ghostprof

Blue Cabazon?

Out the other day just grousing around for lings, rockfish, whatever else haunts the rocky bottom in OB and picked up a big, mean, fighty cabazon. We got it on board and it was blue -- like a blue ling, with blue flesh as well as the blue tongue etc. I know it's fine, at least assuming so based...
  3. Ghostprof

Desperately seeking a slip

Long shot here, and apologies if posting this violates a rule someplace. I'm looking for somewhere in Saanich Inlet (east side) to tie up my 16' boat for some or all of April to do some prawning. Happy to pay my way, of course. Angler's and Brentwood both say they have nothing right now. TIA...
  4. Ghostprof

Boat and Fishing Show dates?

I'm looking ahead to keep my chin up through the grey days -- anyone know if/when the boat and fishing show dates will be announced? Thanks!
  5. Ghostprof

Freedom Boat Club (reviving old thread)

I see an old thread on the Freedom Boat Club from 2016, but am wondering if anyone has updates. Are any of you members of FBC? What do you all think of it? I'm less interested in whether you think they have a good business model than if you think its a viable way to fish and boat around here...
  6. Ghostprof

Favourite/Best Fillet Knife

I've been through a few cheap ones, and hate it when they won't stay sharp. I sharpen after ever session, but still my old Shimano and Berkeley knives don't hold an edge. Ironically my best one is a really cheap one with a plastic handle, but boy it holds an edge OK. Nonetheless, it's time for a...
  7. Ghostprof

Tatlayoko Lake in August

I'll be up at Tatlayoko Lake for a week in the first half of August. Never fished up there before. Is it worth it? What's the intel? TIA
  8. Ghostprof

Live bait set-up for lingcod

Talked to someone the other day who said they use greenlings or small rockfish as live bait for the really big lings, and I'm interested in trying. He said he hooks the live fish up to a 2 lb. jig head and drops it down. I'm assuming the drop is to the bottom then back up a couple of turns, but...
  9. Ghostprof

Towing Capacity?

This is more of a truck question, but since they key question is really about towing my boat I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm thinking of getting a Maverick hybrid pick up, but the towing capacity is only 2000 lbs. I have a 16' Double Eagle with a 60 hp Yamaha on it to pull. With the trailer...
  10. Ghostprof

Moorage for prawns in the inlet -- getting desperate

My son and I have prawned in April for the last few years, trailering in the early days with a smaller boat and then mooring one year at Goldstream and the next at Brentwood. This year, though, it's all wait lists. Anyone got any bright ideas about spots to moor up for even just 10 days to get...
  11. Ghostprof

Windy.com versus Windy.app

What's up with this: when I check the wind forecast for, say this Thursday at 2 pm, the app says about 6kts wind while the website says 12kts. Anyone got any sense of what is more accurate (and why I pay for the pro subscription?) :p
  12. Ghostprof

Replacing Hub on boat trailer

So I blew the bearings right out of one of the hubs on my boat trailer. Luckily, I was able to get the boat in the water and the trailer home with the wheel wobbling around like crazy. I pulled the wheel and the hub off, but now have to replace the hub. I bought a trailer hub kit from Canadian...
  13. Ghostprof

Anti-Fouling paint on transducer?

This may be a really stupid question, but is there any reason not to paint my fishfinder transducer with anti-fouling paint? Seems like it would help keep gunk off it and maybe working better (though I didn't notice a drop off in function when it was gunked). But then again, maybe there is some...
  14. Ghostprof

Cleaning boat hull

This is my first year keeping our boat (lil' Double Eagle) in a marina. We've had it in the water for about 10 weeks and it needs cleaning so we pulled it out to do the job. Does anyone have tips, tricks, best ways to go about this? What has experience taught you to do -- and not to do? Thanks...
  15. Ghostprof

How Weird is This?

We got a female prawn with eggs on its belly in our trap last week. How weird is that? I thought they were all males at this time of year, and the more mature ones transitioned to female in the fall to lay eggs. Is this totally weird, or pretty normal? We've been prawning for four or five years...
  16. Ghostprof

Prawning in the Inlet - Let's play nice, shall we?

My son and I have been prawning in Saanich Inlet for a few years now, with varying success -- we have fun and bad catches don't mean we starve, so it's all good. I can't help but noticing this year, though, that people are dropping really close to our traps -- like sometimes so close we have to...
  17. Ghostprof

Billings Spit

Anyone still fishing Billings Spit? Thought we might get out for a last hurrah this weekend, but not if it's all done. Thanks in advance!
  18. Ghostprof

Night Fishing on the Breakwater?

So my wife and daughter went for a walk on the Ogden Point Breakwater last night around 8:00 and saw a couple of people fishing off it in the dark and fog. They seemed to just have lines in, not casting and retrieving. What could they be going for?
  19. Ghostprof

Spots to shore fish/fly fish for salmon near Parksville?

I'll be heading up to Parksville with my 11 year old son this coming weekend and we're wondering if there are any spots where people successfully fish from shore for salmon. The boy is mad about using his fly rod, but I'm down to cast buzz bombs or whatever. We had a blast at Billings Spit this...
  20. Ghostprof

Parksville area fishing

I will be heading up to Parksville next weekend with my 11 year old son, who is mad about fly fishing and basically fishing in general. We won't have a boat, but have enjoyed shore casting for salmon before, and dome a very little bit of river fishing. Are there any relatively accessible spots...
Back