Search results

1. Ghostprof

Big Qualicum?

What's the word? Am I too late?
  2. Ghostprof

Losing lures without breaking a line ... or a knot

So I'm no stranger to losing lures on the bottom, and take my lumps as part of the cost of fishing for rock-bottom fish. Fine. But twice in the last month I've lost lures only to find not only that the line (80lb braid) has not broken, but the knot is still intact too. As in, the loop is still...
  3. Ghostprof

Blue Cabazon?

Out the other day just grousing around for lings, rockfish, whatever else haunts the rocky bottom in OB and picked up a big, mean, fighty cabazon. We got it on board and it was blue -- like a blue ling, with blue flesh as well as the blue tongue etc. I know it's fine, at least assuming so based...
  4. Ghostprof

Fisheries fines from yesterday. No names no pack drills

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-oceans/news/2023/06/four-recreational-anglers-fined-a-total-of-17000-for-rockfish-violations-and-giving-false-information-to-a-fishery-officer.html
  5. Ghostprof

2023 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Thanks for sharing -- I'm heading out tomorrow, but not until later in the morning, and any tidbit of info that can get me closer even to something I have to release is so helpful.
  6. Ghostprof

2023 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Hit the flats after school time today with my son. 2.5 hours of nothing doing but the water was nice, the wind was down, and it was not a bad way to round off the day at all. (Fishing Golden Betsy flashers with wee-g and skinny-g herring aid patterns at about 100-110' on the downrigger, from...
  7. Ghostprof

Desperately seeking a slip

Long shot here, and apologies if posting this violates a rule someplace. I'm looking for somewhere in Saanich Inlet (east side) to tie up my 16' boat for some or all of April to do some prawning. Happy to pay my way, of course. Angler's and Brentwood both say they have nothing right now. TIA...
  8. Ghostprof

Boat and Fishing Show dates?

Thank you!
  9. Ghostprof

OK, my bad for not being specific. I'm asking about the Victoria Boat and Fishing Show. Thanks to those who chimed in anyway!
  10. Ghostprof

I'm looking ahead to keep my chin up through the grey days -- anyone know if/when the boat and fishing show dates will be announced? Thanks!
  11. Ghostprof

Freedom Boat Club (reviving old thread)

Sorry, "the" boat? As in, they have only one? I have downriggers and stuff I could bring to a boat, but it would still need to be wired and have mounts on board at least. That said, I did not get out for salmon much at all this year. And I don't need special gear to bottom fish really...
  12. Ghostprof

Yeah, this is the sort of thing I can see being an issue. Thanks for the info.
  13. Ghostprof

I see an old thread on the Freedom Boat Club from 2016, but am wondering if anyone has updates. Are any of you members of FBC? What do you all think of it? I'm less interested in whether you think they have a good business model than if you think its a viable way to fish and boat around here...
  14. Ghostprof

Favourite/Best Fillet Knife

Thanks everyone! I've got a birthday coming and now I know what to specifically ask for. Appreciate you all taking the time to share.
  15. Ghostprof

Also, do you guys just cut straight along the spine and through the pin bones, or do you carefully peel the fillet off the ribs?
  16. Ghostprof

Really? Looks like a bread knife. But I'm game.
  17. Ghostprof

I've been through a few cheap ones, and hate it when they won't stay sharp. I sharpen after ever session, but still my old Shimano and Berkeley knives don't hold an edge. Ironically my best one is a really cheap one with a plastic handle, but boy it holds an edge OK. Nonetheless, it's time for a...
  18. Ghostprof

Swimbaits and Lingcod

I like to let 'em hit bottom and rest for a sec, then a quick little jig like a fish breaking cover, then a longer jig like it's fleeing, then stop and let it drop back to the bottom. If you're not feeling bottom with it, then I get lots less hits.
  19. Ghostprof

2022 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Nice fish, Rob!
Back