Search results

1. S

Terminal Fisheries for Big Fish

I disagree that the Tyee Club kills very few fish. I know the last couple years they have taken a couple hundred undersize(under 30lbs) each year. They don’t release the undersize data to the public but I have a few friends that row and they told me the last couple seasons the undersize totals...
  2. S

Hypothetical

Stop wondering , this happened
  3. S

Hypothetical

No this happened it’s legit and I was genuinely looking for suggestions as to whether something like this should be reported. There are a few guys on here that know me personally and also know this happened. I don’t waste my time trolling in here I have better things to do but there are some...
  4. S

Hypothetical

These are very experienced anglers and the fish was measured accurately to the center of the tail. He knew he was breaking the law. I’m hearing the excuse was it’s only over by a little
  5. S

Hypothetical

I’m in the fishing industry so I have a slightly different perspective. I’ve watched business and such take a beating from these closures so taking fish illegally doesn’t sit too well. But to each his own I guess
  6. S

Hypothetical

I wanted to get a sense of where we are as an angler community. So it was brought to my attention that someone clubbed a Chinook yesterday evening that was just a little over the 80 cm slot limit. It wasn’t clubbed as some sort of political protest it was just caught clubbed and run. Are we of...
  7. S

Port Alberni Sockeye Fishery Shut Down For All

Well when your forecasts are coin tosses it’s about what I expect. Well it could be 25% of that year or 25 % of that but it could be this so let’s go with that and don’t blame us when we get it wrong
  8. S

Times Colonist: For the sake of orcas, don’t hook a chinook

Well opening day up in Campbell River, a couple professional anglers I know released 17 Chinook salmon in a couple hours because they were all too big for the slot limit. It was going on all around them too. There’s no shortage of fish folks, it’s bs. This closure was political pure and simple...
  9. S

Kittimat Aug 13th / 14th- looking for recommendations

I Recommend a good lawyer! the way things are going, It will be closed because the government knows you’re going there to catch fish
  10. S

Glow spoons

Try doing both, use a flashlight and use the sunlight on your trip out. Go with the percentages, that’s at least a mental advantage, and that’s something anyway. Anglers tend to stick with something they know works just a little longer and that can make all the difference in the world...
  11. S

Slot limits put in place

Another nail in our coffin. Dfo places slot limits on Chinook retention for much of the inside waters. It’s temporary, hopefully. But in areas like Campbell River a legal Chinook is 24.5 inches and now an illegal fish is anything over 32 inches Or 80 cm. In Campbell we have 3 or 4 active Chinook...
  12. S

Opinion: More salmon hatcheries will not help killer whales or chinook

The underlying theme of this synopsis or theory is that the Orca, namely the SRKW, have evolved over centuries to prefer the larger older early run Fraser Chinook salmon. One could surmise from that hypothesis that they are ever evolving and adapting to changing environmental conditions...
  13. S

FR Sockeye/Pink

I read through this entire press release, it sounded like our opening/closures is about as scientific as a flip of a coin ! It could be this or that, it might be big or small, so we’re basing your businesses and vacation plans on a 50-50 shot it might be one way or the other! OMG , as I stand on...
  14. S

Fish Factor: South Alaska Peninsula pink salmon catches blast record out of the water

I guess we won’t have to ask if ours don’t show up. I thought dfo was screaming doom and gloom for the pinks this year? Same as Chinook, which all my boater friends are telling me it’s game on day after day in the Campbell River region. The more I hear forecast models from dfo the less I like...
Back