Search results

1. R

Adams R sockeye return

Adams river came approx 1.3 million below anticipated return. The run like many systems was a few weeks later than the historical average
  2. R

2018 Gulf Island Reports

Fished polier a couple hrs this AM. At most 10 boats out at peak time when we left. Released 3 undersize and retained one around 10# all straight out in front of the gap. Seemed shallower today 60-80ft. Crabbing still unproductive Unfortuantely also watched a couple different boats keep fish...
  3. R

Once again, DFO shows how well they can estimate. Sad.

They can get all the data about ocean conditions that they want, the issue is applying that data to chinook survival. There is also the difficalty between establishing cause and effect. For example the huge pink run a few years back (2010 I believe) has papers suggesting the large return was...
  4. R

Once again, DFO shows how well they can estimate. Sad.

I come from a chinook stock assessment background so not familiar with what they use to project pink and sockeye returns. For chinook they look at a number of factors including brood size of of all age classes, jack returns, previous 2 year returns. There is so much going on in the ocean that...
  5. R

Best time to fish langara

For good numbers June 15-July 10. For a good chance at a real big one I'd be booking July 15-aug 10. Bottom fishing is better earlier but that's not what most people are going for.
  6. R

Help with strain and sex identification

If it's in an unstocked lake it is that lakes natural fish genetics or "strain". Lakes that are stocked by the ffsbc are stocked with fish from a captive brood stock that have originally come from specific lakes or system which is what they derive the name of that strain from, be it...
  7. R

Salmon behind prop wash ???

If your fishing Haida gwaii I don't know why you would be fishing that deep. If your there your likely after the big one that you wouldn't have the same chance to get anywhere else. These larger fish generally run in tight and shallow so that's where I target them. I don't think I fish...
  8. R

I actually exclusively run anchovie with teaser head on my back rod. I find it lasts a lot longer, and is less likely to catch weeds. When I guided out of the aluminum boats or smaller whalers most lodges run up there I found the outboards were often overpowered for trolling cut plugs so on...
  9. R

Guided in the gwaii for a couple years now. General consensus for guides running riggers from a number of camps in less than 60 ft of water seems to be 6-8 pulls on the back rod. Some to the biggest fish I've guided have come on the back rod in the holder opposite my kicker where I can check my...
  10. R

Fair harbour to Kyuquot

Depends how much gas, ice, food and people are making the trip. And the weather plays a factor as it can blow straight down the channel so you could be fighting weather the whole way. At 17ish knots it would be just around an hr,
  11. R

I think I caught a record Dogfish

Not a dogfish, dogfish have 5 gill slits, there appears to be six on the shark in the video
  12. R

Queen Charlotte Lodge fine amount given after pleading guilty.

They often have 130 guests...
  13. R

Worked there multiple seasons, THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. Don't state as fact what you do not know. The over limit fish killed illegally by unguided guests are kept for reasons such as you suggest including replacing fish lost in transit by airlines. But really what do people expect the lodge to...
  14. R

FYI, all illegally kept fish were UNGUIDED, lodge just made attempt to refrain from having to report those guests that come in over their limit. I might add add that more than several steelhead get brought into those docks by clueless clients who think theve landed a scrappy coho.
  15. R

Hatchery makes plans to breed bigger fish

True but if you apply the benefits of the portfolio effect that has been shown in the large Alaskan sockeye systems to jacks having a similar role in spreading genetic diversity and allowing recovery of poor years In certain tributaries it makes sense for jacks to have a similar role in species...
  16. R

Hatchery makes plans to breed bigger fish

The problem with what they are attempting is that some of the smaller fish sometimes called jacks, are genetically superior to the average sized fish, this allows them to be more successful in the wild and reach a stage of maturity to spawn a year earlier than most of the population and...
  17. R

Nautilus reels

They make a mooching reel now, had a guest bring one one my boat for a 3 day charter, prefer the islander, larger arbor but not the same smooth feel and more expensive, Abels however are excellent
  18. R

Running flasher from cannonball

It's much more enjoyable for playing fish and I do it every time I use a lure that has its own action. To avoid tangles attach the downrigger clip at a minimum the same lengthe as the leader from the ball to the flasher, but up the downrigger line from the ball and you won't have any problems...
  19. R

Federal government petition to end salmon farming in Canadian waters

If anyone is hesitant about signing this or needs evidence convincing anyone else to, please watch this documentary about the condition of salmon on the coast http://www.salmonconfidential.ca/watch-salmon-confidential-documentary/
  20. R

Sooke2015

fished 7-2 yesterday, 3 man limit of hatchery coho in no time when we targetted them, all but one on the smaller side, hung around inside for the tide change and had one spring hit at trap shack, 12-15 range but lost it.
Back