Search results

1. James Costello

Aquaculture; improving????

I'm really struggling to think of how this is going to be a positive for anyone involved. It seems to be an incredibly short-sighted and divisive political ploy which will inevitably result in even less collaboration between user groups. Wild salmon would be the losers in the end, because we...
  2. James Costello

Everyday post a photo of a reel you own.

A few oldies from the collection:
  3. James Costello

Steelhead data reveal major conservation concerns across B.C. | Pacific Salmon Foundation https://psf.ca/news-media/steelhead-data-reveal-major-conce

Here's a really interesting read on Pacific salmon evolution: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3352440/
  4. James Costello

2024 Ucluelet Reports

New Year's Day action! If you can get out there, you have a chance to find them. Weather and sea conditions have been challenging to say the least, and a safe and comfortable window has been hard to find. This clip-popping hatchery keeper was on the bottom between the Lighthouse and the Red...
  5. James Costello

Bragging Rights Photo Op

One of my favourite releases. Stills from an old video. Solo fish with one rod, on a plug - tailed and released.
  6. James Costello

2023 Ucluelet Reports

Sea conditions have bene the limiting factor out here lately. Strong NW winds have made the outside mostly unfishable, and uncomfortable on the inside at times. There are a few springs around. and some decent ones in the mix. Watch for squid on the sounder, there have been a few patches...
  7. James Costello

2023 Ucluelet Reports

Been a tough few days out there with weather and some seriously scarce springs. The tap seemed to turn off after a bit of decent action alternating around Red Can and Great Bear. Some smaller local fish around, pretty patchy migratory groups so far - nothing has really stuck around long...
  8. James Costello

This question this thread is based on can only be answered with opinion. So far, it has proved to be almost entirely a facilitated opportunity for consistent, targeted attacks on a particular, identifiable group by anonymous parties. If we weren't talking about aquaculture, what would it look...
  9. James Costello

Got it. - your two bits. Although... Stating your conclusion, then calling everyone liars for not agreeing is not a moral high-ground for you to sit comfortably in your anonymity. At this point this is neither a quality discussion, or a fair fight.
  10. James Costello

Let me sum up this whole thing again then, as we are 139 pages into this and it started with a question: Is aquaculture improving? - Yes, because improvements in XYZ mean that QRS and NPL will be reduced, and using historical data we can see no trends or causation. - No, because you are all...
  11. James Costello

Looking for backup? I'd suggest looking for evidence to support your claims instead.
  12. James Costello

Are you done then? Is your final position that net-pens will never be an acceptable form of protein production for the world because despite decades of operations and co-existence with fluctuating levels of wild salmon populations - you feel the risk is too great? Despite a federal commission...
  13. James Costello

The property that was occupied by numerous people for weeks at a time? The sites have been sitting out there with fish on and off for almost 40 years in some spots. This is not because there is a conspiracy to cover up evidence of harm to wild salmon - it is because there are two scientific...
  14. James Costello

It sounds like someone should do a TV show on the DFO Aquaculture branch - it might be better than The Beachcombers! Lots of intrigue and subterfuge by the sounds of it. So, they're a bunch of liars, and I'm playing tricks on you? Is that where we're at?
  15. James Costello

I was there. I got to ride in an elevator with Don Staniford, it was a lovely experience all around. I'm wondering, Does the science that shows harm exist, and it is just being withheld? Is there evidence that exists supporting a causal link between farms and declines that has been...
  16. James Costello

Much appreciated, thanks.
  17. James Costello

Are they corrupt, or are you wrong?
  18. James Costello

Of course aquaculture is improving - it's an industry like anything else that has immense pressure from not only business realities, but activism and demarketing. Internally, aquaculture will be constantly reducing costs through fuel efficiency, reduced feed intake, more effective fish health...
  19. James Costello

New Tech in Hatcheries?

This is a smaller Chum tube I made using PVC pipe, aluminum angle, and stainless hardware. The original design I saw was from Tofino, and I made some changes. They aren't light, and the larger diameter Chinook versions are definitely a chore to pack down - but they are secure. The hinged...
  20. James Costello

New Tech in Hatcheries?

Has anyone had experience using RFID scanners? https://www.biomark.com/rfid-pit-tag-readers/ Very specific questions can be asked using these tags - Like where you're going to put the right sized fish at the right time.
Back