Search results

1. S

Projects examine how rec fishery is affecting salmon.

resilience to a bite and resilience to metabolic stresses are two different things just like a salmon healing from a bite and healing from their gills getting cut are two different things. Just don't keep them out of the water too long isn't good enough either what is too long. Holding a fish...
  2. S

Projects examine how rec fishery is affecting salmon.

One thing that's bigger of an impact then the handling (which can be a large impact) is the effect of the playing and how long it lasts. Salmon in saltwater have a metabolic system that is designed for long periods of easy swimming with short bursts of energy to attack and hunt, when they are in...
  3. S

15+3+8 = Losing well - By Bob Hooton.

Thanks for still trying to get all the disturbing facts out about the decline of steelhead as depressing as it is. One factor that is rarely mentioned about the decline of steelhead in the stamp is the removal of wild fish for brood stock. The few fish that make it back still have to not be...
  4. S

SRKW Royalty?

You wont find data on how many orcas were killed by whalers or fisherman because they weren't commercially harvested the same goes for seals and sea lions they were just killed and left with no records. I don't believe sports fishing is a serious concern for southern residents, but I also don't...
  5. S

SRKW Royalty?

At the time that southern residents were removed for aquariums they were already less than half their pre 1900 numbers they were killed by fisherman and whalers because they were seen as a nuisance up until nearly the time they were protected. The captured fish were likely a small fraction of...
  6. S

Ignition system electrical issue

If you are running petronix make sure the plate in the distributor is fully screwed down and grounded that one can cause intermittent ignition issues just from being a tiny bit loose
  7. S

Herring Fishery

Pretending that all is good for salmon populations and whale populations and herring populations will do little to help us keep our sports fishing opportunities it only gives the appearance that sport fishers are a bunch of dinos with their heads in the sand. A more pro active approach admitting...
  8. S

Aquaculture; improving????

That means the minister doesn't want to admit that dfo management has been trying to cover up the science and risks that open net fish farms cause for years, and that saying these farms are causing disease and lice to be spread would open the door for the industry to respond with dfo science...
  9. S

18.5 Double eagle rebuild

oscillating saw with a good quality grout diamond grit blade doesn't get dull and doesn't throw the dust everywhere like a grinder its slower but saves time not making a huge mess everywhere a sawzall will also work with less mess than a grinder or risk of gouging the hull. If you cut that part...
  10. S

DFO Announces further SRKW Restrictions

They must be eating something or they would be dead struggling and starving aren't the same thing.
  11. S

Washington state, NOAA, DFO many other reputable sources standard's. Alaskan pinks are doing well too I guess that means chinook populations should be growing too they are in the same ocean.
  12. S

If you were to actually read my posts you would see that you are saying the exact thing I have said many times on here. SRKW regulations do nothing to help and are simply covering for increasing tanker and freight traffic and we are being scapegoated to appear as if this government is doing...
  13. S

Good read

Agreed as I have posted on here before dfo has turned its back on the guiding industry and given little consideration for the economic well being of people in the industry. The regulations brought in through the last few years do nothing to put more fish on the spawning grounds or rebuild the...
  14. S

Good read

Steelhead aren't all gone because of first nations gill nets. They have done their damage and continue to and on depressed stocks that cant handle anymore stress. However the biggest damage has been done by habitat destruction the gill nets are the nail in the coffin however and it seems no one...
  15. S

Resistance to fish hatcheries?

Nothing against volunteers they are great and are a huge part of helping the fisheries however having people who's job it is to focus on restoration would be best. Volunteers do what they can but when you have a job and life its impossible to put in what a professional working full time could...
  16. S

Skeena Shut Down

DFO seems only concerned with maintaining their own jobs and keeping themselves protected in their phony positions rather than protecting the environment or economy. The upper level managers make decisions based on their own interests ie keeping their positions and don't respect the scientists...
  17. S

Washington state along with NOAA have the same information posted as dfo that srkw are in trouble because of a lack of food, increased boat traffic and pollution. Their website clearly states this information and actually does a good job of clearly showing the issues facing srkw. Spouting off...
  18. S

We need radical change in this country sorry if its not what you want but its what is needed. It wont come from this government or the other government though so you're really wasting your time blaming a minister for something that isn't even happening or going to happen with this government...
  19. S

Pinniped Developments

sorry im not a green party anything and if i were too assume your political party it would be ppc but I am not so quick to make everything political as some seem to be. Had you read the post two up from the one you wrote you would see my first line says impact just not as big an impact as a...
  20. S

Petition to Stop the politically motivated destruction of the Vancouver area recreational Salmon fishery

Your frustrations with the regulations are understandable hatchery fish should be caught or whats the point of hatcheries i get it yes the liberals are horrible in government but call it what it is and stop blaming so called radicals for causing it. The science of downward trends in abundance...
Back