Search results

1. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

105 cm?! Wow. That's a fish of a lifetime IMO. Incredible. I've been jigging that area for 7 years now and hooked my largest fish this year at 98 cm x 68.5 cm. Right around the 30lb mark. Our boat hooked three in that class in about 20 min. Lost a really big fish the evening we were fishing...
  2. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

Funny you should mention this... We think very similarly! I spent A LOT of effort on trying different single hook options this summer. I am tired of releasing undersized fish missing an eyeball. Seems like a very unfair way to interact with these fish and unsporting. Also, my hands get abused...
  3. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

Right!! Yes, I know who you are now. Yeah, you know your stuff. No trolling here! Don’t even own down riggers 😉 If Salty says they are Chinook, then they are. He was there. I wasn’t. I haven’t seen Chinook don’t show up on my sonar so dense/tight, so if those arch’s were Chinook. Damn...
  4. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

Most of the archs on that shot are dogfish IMO. They tend to show up in a sine wave pattern.
  5. Bowbreaker

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

Wow… that is a lot longer than I thought. I measured out a 38.5” length x 27” girth and calculated it to be between 36 and 40 Lb using several different formulas.
  6. Bowbreaker

Tales From The Tyee Pool.....2023

What is the length of a well proportioned Chinook that is generally considered to be 30lb? Anyone have a rule of thumb they use?
  7. Bowbreaker

2023 Campbell River Reports

Good to hear there are Chinook back at Kitty Coleman. We hit ‘em pretty good at Wilby last night on jigs. A bunch of smaller Chinook and coho north of Fancisco this morning.
  8. Bowbreaker

2023 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

How has the fishing been at the Kitty hump lately?
  9. Bowbreaker

Seems like fishing has been relatively slow at Wilby and Kitty Coleman. The bait is around, but not many Chinook. Anyone finding decent numbers of fish in the Campbell River area?
  10. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

I use a carrot knot to tie my 40lb fluorocarbon leader to 30lb braid then tie the jig directly to the leader. I’ve tried a bunch of wing falls and haven’t caught anything on them yet. I’ve heard they work but no positive personal experience yet. I often have 5 to 6 people jigging at a time...
  11. Bowbreaker

Intel from last week… we fished Wilby a bit and found bait but had a hard time finding Chinook. As a result we focussed on Kitty Coleman. We did catch a bunch of ling cod and that halibut at Wilby though, which was a very welcome surprise.
  12. Bowbreaker

Wow… a halibut off of Wilby Shoal… would you believe it but we caught one the same day last week. Not as large as that one (maybe 10 Lb), but still lots of great eating fillets! Interestingly, we also did well on that green/silver butterfly jigs. There was some incredible jigging action...
  13. Bowbreaker

Interesting! I bet there is a bunch of coho on that bait in that “shallow”!
  14. Bowbreaker

The bait is probably all hiding out at Sentry Shoal. Lol
  15. Bowbreaker

Interesting re the lack of bait... hopefully that changes in the next few days as I'm headed up this weekend!
  16. Bowbreaker

Fisheries notices

Apparently the notices had not been signed by the minister… hope they get signed and released in the next few days! Seems SO silly to have to wait this long to have some certainty on retention (particularly with so many fish around in the Strait!)
  17. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

Love that pic of the sonar screen… when you see that it’s GO TIME! Thanks for the post. Getting pumped for the summer jigging season :)
  18. Bowbreaker

Good to hear there are good numbers of Chinook around. Any coho at all? Anyone heard when the fishing regs are going to come out for Chinook retention? Should be any day now I’d suspect.
  19. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

Haha… yeah, I suppose so! I like to dress up for fishing. Lol We catch our share. I learned a few things last year that I’m looking forward to continuing to implement this year… particularly with the mega school that is often there in the evenings. Mostly related to deciding where to fish...
  20. Bowbreaker

High Tech Jigging

Yeah, all I do is jig. Don’t even own downriggers. The evening jig fishery at Wilby seems to be quite the thing. There will be 20 boats out there racing around trying to stay on bait. But, in the morning, everyone is trolling… Why? On balance, I find mornings can be more productive. Less...
Back