Search results

1. sam_n_leo

2024 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

If I'm understanding the chinook restrictions (that's a big if) for area 12 there aren't many nearby options for Telegraph Cove area before July 15. It looks like up Wells, Fife, and Knights have some open retention areas. I haven't salmon fished Knights before and would like to give it a...
  2. sam_n_leo

2024 Sooke Reports

Put in a few hours at Pedder this morning. Pretty scratchy fishing, kept one 8lb hatch. A vessel south of Race put in a pan pan with their halibut anchor line in the prop--bit of breeze and current at the time I imagine--and Vic CG Cape Sutil came to assist. Don't know details, but looked like...
  3. sam_n_leo

Boats on Used Victoria and Other Areas

A couple of local options for anyone looking for a C-Dory cruiser. Either the prices are high (especially the 1994 for $75K cdn, wow!) or I'm out of touch with the market. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/784486273541696...
  4. sam_n_leo

2024 Sooke Reports

Gave Whirl Bay a try today but the baby black cod were all over anything I was putting down. Moved over to Pedder and got out of the black cod and found a few small springs but nothing worth keeping today.
  5. sam_n_leo

August can be good--and particularly last August--for getting chicken halibut while salmon fishing off the usual salmon spots and depths near Donegal. If only you could also get the odd lingcod doing that--then my kids wouldn't make me pull up the downriggers and tour a dozen rock piles for the...
  6. sam_n_leo

I don't think there is really anywhere in the area you can fish halibut and be sheltered from a blow.
  7. sam_n_leo

Wow, heard rumours about it going up for sale this year but I thought it was just rumour.
  8. sam_n_leo

Interesting, I have never seen a C-Dory pod project, but there is at least one documented on cbrats http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22511&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 But I think I would agree there are better projects to be found, that boat looks like it has a hard life.
  9. sam_n_leo

Goes 45 knots, thats 7 minutes to Donegal. Very practical!
  10. sam_n_leo

2023 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

The one day I had to fish was shut down by the wind. Highlight for us was watching a big group of Pacific white sided dolphins playing with a group of 4 northern residents out in front of TC. Then taking the kids up to Alder Bay to get poutine at Roxy's.
  11. sam_n_leo

You are so right. I make my fancy salmon plans but yes I know by 9am the downriggers will be up and the kids will be throwing gear at the rockpiles.
  12. sam_n_leo

How is the salmon bite out there lately? Probably will have 1 day this weekend to get out there, and trying to decide between Malcolm or up Fife/Cramer area
  13. sam_n_leo

I'm the last person to give halibut advice but the kids found success a couple of time jigging in 280 ft off the backside of Malcom earlier this spring. And a couple of chickens salmon trolling this summer, both were actually well off the bottom and in less than 120 ft of water.
  14. sam_n_leo

Every year at least once I have to go down and fish the wall inside Cracroft Point. I got interested in the spot years back after reading one of Billy Proctor's books, in years long past it was a big spot for the troll fleet and called the "the breadline". Trollers would line up for a tack...
  15. sam_n_leo

First day out for me in a few weeks, fishing north/east Malcolm. Definitely some pinks showing over there, they were even interested in my 6 inch spoons. Springs are biting. Didn't see any coho today. Life is good.
  16. sam_n_leo

DFO rules when jigging for lingcod/rockfish & a salmon hits instead

My kids love jigging for lingcod that comes with all sorts of by-catch. Rockfish, greenling, cabezon, flatfish, salmon, P cod, starfish, barnacles, etc Barbless hooks and descenders (for the rockfish) are sort of essential, regardless of salmon regs. But I can't say I do barbless on halibut...
  17. sam_n_leo

There is no finer halibut to catch than the salmon trolling by-catch. Tasty fish n chips without giving up civilized salmon fishing time to mess about with anchors and stinky bait. Last Aug we fluked a chicken off Donegal on a Gator spoon at 40 ft and I felt like we'd won the lottery. I'd...
  18. sam_n_leo

Nice job! See you up there this weekend.
  19. sam_n_leo

First Halibut of the year!

Ok, so who's going to post a video bringing up one that's oversize, showing the their process of measuring and releasing? I'd like to see it, since I never seem to catch any that big. I'll get my popcorn ready.
  20. sam_n_leo

First Halibut of the year!

Great video, TBH I've always wondered the the best way to handle one that looked close to the limit. Gaff gently in the bottom mouth like you were doing seems like a good approach. Since the max size limits were put in I've never had the problem.
Back