Search results

1. SaltyAlice

Carlyle Catfood MIA!

It seems that all of my sources for Carlyle cat food have stopped carrying it. I’m heading out on the water tomorrow morning; has anybody found an alternative cat food that is as effective?
  2. SaltyAlice

Cleaning Table - Cutting Boards and Non Slip Fillet Mats?

Looking for some advice to make cleaning/filleting easy like Sunday morning. Will be for salmon/ling/hali etc. I have an aluminum cleaning station that I was looking to get some cutting boards made for. I am curious to know what material you might suggest. It looks like I can get a piece of...
  3. SaltyAlice

Island Built: Silver Streak vs Lifetimer

Good evening! Wondering if you fine folks had an opinion on Lifetimer vs Silver Streak, and if there are alternate Island-based aluminum boat builders that are in even higher esteem. Do either of these groups do certain things better than the other? I am likely looking at something like the 18'...
  4. SaltyAlice

Small open boat recommendations? Lifetimer? Lund? A log with oars?

Hey guys and gals, I'm curious to poll the group on small open boat ideas. I am looking for a small 16-20' boat for: - Short haul shuttling of people and gear in protected waters. Think Brentwood Bay or Bamfield harbour type scenario - A bit of exploring / beaching in the right weather - Maybe...
  5. SaltyAlice

Fish ID cards

I am looking for laminated colour sheets that help with fish ID. Fun for the kids (and me when bringing up the occasional rockfish.) Any idea where I might be able to buy these? Or download to print and laminate myself?
  6. SaltyAlice

Rusty Tackle

Rusty tackle. I’m talking about fishing lures, you animals, get your mind out of the gutter. *ahem* So anyhoo, it’s that time of year again when I start prepping kit and I’ve got a whack of tackle with rusty hooks. I tried to rinse and dry them but I still have a fair number of rusty hooks. My...
  7. SaltyAlice

Covid Boat on Trailer

Ok, which one of us is driving this around Vancouver? Lol
  8. SaltyAlice

Urchin?

I'm curious about harvest/cooking urchin. Has anybody had much experience? Are there are particular type of urchin that are better? Conversely, are there urchin to avoid (or algae blooms to be aware of such as red tide?) because of toxins?
  9. SaltyAlice

Where'd all the prawns go? A newby quandary.

This is my first year prawning and I have been enjoying it during the winter months to offset the slower fishing. I have been prawning primarily around common spots close to Vancouver. I have been doing quite well but over the past month my proven set up and spots have slowed down dramatically...
  10. SaltyAlice

Toronto Aquarium - Rat’s Nose

Just visited the Toronto aquarium and my son excitedly dragged me over to a wall he found with Barkley Sound. He proudly exclaimed, “Look! The Rat’s Nose!”. Good lad
  11. SaltyAlice

Favourite Fishing Accommodations for WCVI?

My New Years resolution, as I suspect may be many others, is to get some solid fishing in for 2020. I am keen to try new places over the summer so wanted to know what everyone's favourite fishing accommodations are on the west coast of Vancouver Island. My preference is usually to find...
  12. SaltyAlice

Prawn Handling In Boat

I’ve just put down prawn traps for the first time and am wondering what the best way is to handle prawns in the boat if I actually catch any. Do you keep them in a bucket of water until you get back to the dock? Once back at the dock do you dump the water for the drive home? Any advice would...
  13. SaltyAlice

Let's Talk Filleting

I'm sure there will be a variety of methods and opinions here, but I'm curious what folks find is the best way to break down a fish. To me it is important to respect the fish and process it properly and ensure the highest quality food gets on my family's table. I'm interested in getting better...
  14. SaltyAlice

Jig head replacement

Davey Jones has claimed a few of my 14oz swimbaits while jigging for lings, and I find myself with many headless bodies in my tacklebox. What are folks doing to load up on replacement weighted heads? I’ve been to a few places but they either don’t carry anything that will work, or they are sold out.
  15. SaltyAlice

Rod - Emergency Float?

I was lucky enough to receive a gorgeous engraved Peetz reel for my birthday and I am looking at ways to ensure it doesn’t ever end up occupying Davey Jones’ locker. Losing a TR3 would be expensive put losing an engraved reel with sentimental value is irreplaceable. I love the action on it and...
  16. SaltyAlice

Aluminum Tower Ideas - Need Advice

Hi all! I am having a tower built for my Weldcraft Rebel 202 soft top. I am looking to add rod and net holders and radar. My question is for those that have towers. I am having it custom built and I was hoping to know what you have found is the best configuration and options. What do you wish...
  17. SaltyAlice

Radar and Tower Suggestions?

I’m looking at adding radar to my boat (Weldcraft Rebel 202) so I can play a little safer around the west coast. In order to do this I need to: 1) figure out what sort of tower to add 2) choose a radar solution. I have a Simrad Evo3 on-board currently handling charts, depth etc. Any advice on...
  18. SaltyAlice

Swappable Leaders?

Howdy, Wondering if anybody avoids tying leaders directly to their lures and instead has a library of leader lengths and weights that they simply clip on as needed. I know that it would add a bit of hardware to connect the like to the lure but it would afford flexibility and keep the tackle box...
  19. SaltyAlice

Gibbs Leader Board - I am dumb

Here’s the (potentially) dumbest question of the day: how do you use the Gibbs Delta foam leader board? I am trying to get away from too much gear jammed together in my tackle box and lines with memory caused by using straws to organize leaders. Maybe I am overthinking the leaderboard but I’m...
  20. SaltyAlice

Ultimate BC Fishing Boat?

You know what is awesome? Fishing! You know what is awesome? Pounding through chop. Just when you think you are going to have the best day ever, Howe Sound outflow gets in a fight with the Fraser and then Georgia Straight decides to punch you in the face. Want to run the Alberni canal in the...
Back