Search results

1. Doubleheader

My Double Eagle Re-build Journey

Should be glassed like they’ll live under water. Majority of rebuilds I’ve seen would rot from the inside out just from humidity. Bare wood and people drilling holes without properly sealing is the problem.
  2. Doubleheader

I’m always skeptical when I see aluminum in place of fiberglass. I’m of the opinion with these old boats that unless they have been rebuilt, they are all rotten.
  3. Doubleheader

Did you find some defects in er? I’m curious the size and design of the pod, kicking around ideas for a 1974’ 18’2” hourston I’m rebuilding. Good luck with the new rig!
  4. Doubleheader

Double Eagle 185 Build

You need a racor and fuel treatment bro!
  5. Doubleheader

What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Transom on the 18’2” hourston done. 5 units of 3/8” ply, 4 units 1oz matte, 2 units 2oz matte and 2 units 17oz biaxial all said and done. Finished up thickness about 2.15”. Should be good for a 200 of some sorts. Started demolishing floors and stringers, what a travesty lol.
  6. Doubleheader

Made some progress on the ole 18’2”. Oooof the mains and transom stink. 3 layers of 3/8” with csm between in the stern so far. Still undecided how to hang power off the back…
  7. Doubleheader

20 foot Hourston prop recommendations?

If I drop my motor two bolt holes I lose a whopping 2mph wot. It’s a planing pod on that rig, anywhere close to level with the keel with the correct prop you would see sufficient rpm. Find the correct prop before tinkering with anything else imo. These boats are a lot different than an aluminum...
  8. Doubleheader

If the anti vent plate is flush with the keel, raising a couple bolt holes I doubt will gain 1500 rpm. All it does for me is slightly higher top speed and improved economy, and lessens porpoising. In rough water offshore I actually like the leg down deep, there is no economizing on those days...
  9. Doubleheader

Honestly I don’t think dropping 1.5 pitch will get anywhere near 5k, let alone 5500 where you want to be minimum. 15 pitch or drop down to 15” diameter.
  10. Doubleheader

Oh that’s a nice rig! Surprised the 18.5 only yields 4K. I was banging off rev limiter steady with a 19pitch, 250 zuke on same boat. Swinging a 23 now for 5800rpm/50mph. I do remember having to run a 17pitch on a 215 explorer/175zuke. The 4 banger might need less than 17 pitch though on the...
  11. Doubleheader

2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Circle hooks would definitely be viable with live squid, and perhaps with jigs also. Good tip! Went 6 for 12 and missed a dozen in a few hrs today. Ones we landed were bleeders. From what I understand these are market squid?
  12. Doubleheader

2-3oz anchovy hardwired and spinnows have been working well, colour I haven’t figured out yet seems to vary. It’s more the presentation, sometimes aggressive action works but lately just letting it sulk seems to work better. I have theories on why but it’s a long winded convo. Running squid can...
  13. Doubleheader

I let more go unscathed than I keep…
  14. Doubleheader

Both. Most days didn’t even get around to using squid, or had to stop as had too many bleeders. Hook a dozen on the jigs in the first hr or 2 most days.
  15. Doubleheader

Nice rig, seen it out there for a few days. A little fyi on the squid, they are there to spawn. Although it may seem like dragging turds in the dirt is effective it is actually tearing up the spawning grounds, especially when there’s 30 boats doing it. Little squid spawning honey holes are hard...
  16. Doubleheader

Complete gut job, all composite. Stretch it Aussie style, just enough for motor trim clearance. Belly tank. Raise the floor so it’s flush with the gunwales. Have a 225DF that hopefully just needs head gaskets. Soft top with 6’ clearance. I don’t expect it will happen quickly, but she’ll be fast lol
  17. Doubleheader

Picked her up from a farm, original 1973 roadrunner trailered like a dream. Cleaned out the inside, 5 life jackets, 17 trout rods, 3 8# cannonballs, one Scotty lake rigger and 27 cassette tapes.
  18. Doubleheader

Water in Fuel Filter

This happened two years ago already.
Back