Search results

1. sly_karma

Prawning accessible from Brechin launch Nanaimo?

Try dropping at 300, an hour or two before a tide change. Then go fish that slack. Pull the traps after 2-3 hours, if there's nothing much then go 25-30 ft shallower or deeper. Bracket the depths in the same place from 250-350 ft before concluding the location isnt good. Keep notes and don't...
  2. sly_karma

Looking for inflatable PFD recommendations

You know safety gear is good when people find it so comfortable and easy to wear that they forget theyre wearing it. On more than one occasion I've found myself in my driveway putting the boat away after a lake day, still wearing my inflatable.
  3. sly_karma

Makita 18V Tool Set

I saw no reason to leave blue until it became clear they weren't gonna release a lithium framing nailer. I got one of those in yellow, plus drill, driver, saw, recip and ossie for the reno crew to use. But we are DEFINITELY staying blue for the structural crew. Ha! That's not working cos there's...
  4. sly_karma

Canucks 2023-2024 season

Hockey crowds are weird though. Home crowds tend to go quiet when team is struggling/behind - but that's when they need the loudest support!
  5. sly_karma

Makita 18V Tool Set

I think I'll be doing this before too much longer. We went yellow, not much point keeping blue now.
  6. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

The high end models are released first, most makers do this to get R&D costs paid for ASAP. The Cyberbeast model is $C 108,000 (dual motor) or $C138,000 (tri motor - performance model). The base model - when it lands - is still $C 83,000. All before tax prices. Eeyowch.
  7. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

Some of it is production, they'll have larger output as 2024 progresses. Still I haven't seen one yet out in the wild. I saw lots of Rivians on the Whistler trip last week, some Lightnings, but not one CT yet. BC is pretty big for EVs, I should have spotted one by now. Where are they?
  8. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

... and a recall to fix a problem that could cause accelerator pedal to jam in the flat-out position. Fortunately they've only managed to deliver almost 3500 trucks so far (despite claiming to have over half a million reservations). I respect Tesla immensely for their engineering and being...
  9. sly_karma

Tell Your Best Joke

10. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

Yeah my commercial fuel depot account is paid by credit card, so I lose 6000 points a year. Building materials gets me way more though, so not a huge loss. I don't see my driving habits changing much. The same trips to the cabin, ski races and bike races on top of normal business travel...
  11. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

The nerd part of me got the upper hand for a bit, and made a spreadsheet tracking kilometres and energy consumption. It took seven months of ownership to crack $500 spent on running costs. You can see the unit energy consumption swell and recede over the winter. Driving will increase with some...
  12. sly_karma

Canucks 2023-2024 season

Nashville it is.
  13. sly_karma

Canucks 2023-2024 season

Cool story, bro.
  14. sly_karma

Commercial Prawn opening West Vancouver Island

I found it instructive to be out during the commie prawn season last year. It was interesting to see where and how they were setting - and weren't setting. I noted a couple of terrain nooks that seemed to be inaccessible to their long trap lines, and these missed spots proved to be productive...
  15. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

Ford has a few kWh of hidden capacity that isn't visible to the driver, mainly intended to prevent the 0% stuck on roadside situation. But it also comes into play when charged to 100%, as regen braking still works for me on the 500 vert ft descent from my place to valley floor. The display...
  16. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

Oooh you're right!
  17. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

That might almost work out. I know I definitely don't get all the power back on the descent that I used on the climb, but adding all that extra mass for the descent really would make a difference. Those logs way up on a mountainside are literally a bundle of (kinetic) energy.
  18. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

I wasn't clear in the earlier post - I was thinking about the Edison project having regen braking.
  19. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

Surely this is already part of their design? Braking under heavy loads is such a big issue for log trucks, they'd be certain to harness that kinetic energy and improve speed control on steep grades at the same time.
  20. sly_karma

Driving an EV pickup

Not until mid August. Quick trip to the cabin in late May, too short to be worth the ferry cost, I'll just use the 14 ft we keep on site. Do hope to do some towing around the interior before that: Mabel Lk, Osoyoos sockeye, Little Shu, etc.
Back