Search results

1. P

2022 Powell River Reports

No other reports from Powell river, so I'll add my 2 cents worth... Fished Tues & Wed with daughter & SIL. On Tuesday, lines in the water at Coho Point around noon. Running anchovies & spoons. Anchovies got lots of action but short bites. A waste of bait. Shifted to old faithful purple haze...
  2. P

Sea foam use with fuel/ water separator

As long as your fuel filter / separator isn't tucked away in a locker or below deck, you can add a clear bowl with drain kit. It is so nice to be able to check for water in the fuel at a glance. That was the first mod I did when I bought my boat. It drove me nuts to have to drain fuel from the...
  3. P

2021 Powell River Reports

We found our two again today, but we had to work for them. On the water by 6:45 AM. started at coho point. fished flashers & spoons at 190 & 220 on the riggers in 200 - 350'. One 7 pounder early and a couple of unders before we decided to move. Headed for sandbank & trolled around for a while...
  4. P

2021 Powell River Reports

Fished Coho Point yesterday from 4:00 til 6:30. Two on board. It was a bit sloppy with some whitecaps, but very fishable. Maybe ten boats out. Heard lots of eee-haws, so I guess everyone was into fish. We caught a few just under & two nice eaters at 9.2 & 11.4 pounds. Fairly steady action on...
  5. P

Fulton tongue jack. Worth the $ ?

Just wanted to finish this thread up... I ended up buying the Fulton XLT. So far, I'm impressed. Very skookum rig & super easy to jack up & down. I didn't even have to put my foot against the wheel to keep it from turning. Before installing it, I took it apart and greased everything I could...
  6. P

Zurk & Profisher... Thanks for the replies. Do you have the aluminum Fulton?
  7. P

I should have mentioned... my trailer tongue is really short & the jack gets fully submerged every launch & retrieve. I don't know if that's common or not, this is my first trailerable boat. May be the reason I go through a jack once a season. I haven't taken one apart to grease it yet. Next...
  8. P

I'm looking for a better tongue jack for my trailer. Bought a new steel jack this spring & (despite copious amounts of grease & oil) it's already rusting badly inside & very hard to turn. The Fulton aluminum leg jack looks good, but it's pricey. Don't mind the cost if it's gonna last more than...
  9. P

Trophy 2352 macerator

I highly recommended installing at least one shutoff valve between the tank & the pump, if there isn't one there already. As close to the pump inlet as possible. If you need to remove the pump, now is a great time to get it done. If your pump hasn't failed this time, sometime in the future, it...
  10. P

Anchor choices Danforth or Bruce

The West Marine catalogue has a good article on the testing they did on anchors. You could probably find it on line. I had a Bruce on my sailboat back then & was disappointed to read that the Danforth outperformed the Bruce in some bottom conditions. IIRC, the danforth was equal or better in...
  11. P

Eat Dogfish?

Fillet & skin immediately & soak the fillets in a bucket of water for a few minutes. Some guys said soaking the pieces in milk before cooking got rid of the nasty taste. The result is ok, but pretty bland. I liked it battered & deep fried. I’ve tried it a few times, but just curse them & release...
  12. P

Scotty hp counter issue

I have a theory as to why the spools fail... I got new HP riggers last year & (apart from a counter failure) I really liked them. At the end of the season, I jammed the stop into the pulley while fighting a nice fish that was trying to tangle itself into the cannonball. It came up hard & fast...
  13. P

2020 Powell River Reports

Went out early on the 16th, but apparently, not early enough. The really early risers did well, but we struck out. A couple of unders & a few little lings. Was a little better last night. Started out at Coho Point, running a 5” 602 tubby with a Chartreuse glow dummy flasher on one side & a few...
  14. P

Scotty clips releasing

Even a little bit of scent on the line or the clip will make the line slippery enough to come out of the clip. A cycle through the dishwasher will get rid of that problem. Its common that a small fish will not pop the clip. If you are keeping an eye on the rod tips, you will usually see them...
  15. P

Suggestions / help on new boat.

I might get a T shirt for that one... Just Do **** Right & It’s No Issue! After a career as an aircraft engineer, I’m amazed at the level of workmanship I’ve seen from SOME marine shops.
  16. P

Dissimilar Metals question.

P.S. Newf... like yours, my sender didn’t have a ground lug. I sanded off a small spot of the cad plating & soldered on a blade connector. Ran the wire to a common ground point on the block. (Just in case you decide to go that route. )
  17. P

Dissimilar Metals question.

I did exactly as you said on my sailboat after pumping four litres of oil into the bilge. Those treaded fittings do have a weak spot in the male treaded portion. Bitter experience... I used rubber oil pressure hose to the sender, which I mounted on a nearby bulkhead. You will have to run a...
  18. P

Drain Holes on deck of Malibu 20

If I was doing that job, I’d use the brass or aluminum flared tubes they use for motor well drains. Butter them with Sikaflex or thickened epoxy. But then... I already own the flaring tool. You might be able to rent or borrow one. Mine cost 15 bucks or so from our local chandler.
Back