Search results

1. Eden Island

23 Hourston factory brochure

I see quite a few questions about the specs on 23 Hourstons, and this brochure may have already been posted, but I couldn't locate it. The surprise for me was the dry weight [5300 lbs]. Other brochures I've seen mention wet weight of 6500 lbs, which lines up with the weigh scale observation of...
  2. Eden Island

Chinook Management Measures - Areas 11 to 20, 111, and Subareas 29-1 to 29-5 - Effective April 1, 2024

Full notice - https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=298736&ID=all Body of the notice: Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada Subject: FN0288-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - Chinook Management Measures - Areas...
  3. Eden Island

2024 Halibut Fisheries Notice

New Fisheries Notice posted today - full notice at https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=298105&ID=all An excerpt is below, with a few things highlighted: Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) Fishery Notice - Fisheries and...
  4. Eden Island

Making seals popular

Fisheries minister says making seal consumer product 'priority' https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/fisheries-minister-says-making-seal-consumer-product-priority/ar-BB1i3B4Z?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9637cd7c8a0a4131b4e57abc385ba29b&ei=62
  5. Eden Island

Fish farms suing Fisheries ministers for Discovery Island closures

Fish farm giant Mowi suing fisheries ministers, taxpayers for Discovery Islands closures https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/fish-farm-giant-mowi-suing-fisheries-ministers-taxpayers-for-discovery-islands-closures/ar-AA1i7Fl3?ocid=socialshare&cvid=dcc000250bcd401faed164257720eb83&ei=55
  6. Eden Island

Yanmar diesel outboards [kickers]?

I've found a bit online about Yanmar diesel outboards in the 10 to 40 hp range but most of it seems to be British or Australian websites. Anybody know if they are still made and if they are available in North America? I currently run a D3 diesel in my 23 Hourston with a Yamaha 9.9 kicker...
  7. Eden Island

Port McNeill Service

A big shout out to Progressive Diesel in Port McNeill for prompt and excellent service this summer, and a number of times over 22 years. This year we were losing oil into the bilge and they were able to see us within 2 hours of our call, and an hour after we limped into McNeill on the kicker...
  8. Eden Island

Shearwater situation?

I travelled to the Central Coast three times before my kid was born, but recent reports are concerning as I need fish freezing facilities in the area. Things I wonder [and what I've heard]. 1. Can you still trailer off the ferry in Shearwater, launch and leave a vehicle and trailer? [I think...
  9. Eden Island

Boat storage near Port McNeill?

I'm making more trips to the North Island the past few years, and thinking about storing my boat in the Port McNeill area during the summer months. I've used Shoprite in Port McNeill for storing my truck and trailer in their locked compound. There's a place in nearby Hyde Creek that has...
  10. Eden Island

Volvo leg came down travelling

I've had Volvo legs on my boat for 20+ years, and never secured the leg in the up position when trailering. It would stay up all winter when the boat was parked. On the most recent trip, we had a 3 day layover in Comox when temps exceeded 32 degrees at times. During that time, the leg went...
  11. Eden Island

Vintage 3 hp Johnson

I have a vintage 3 hp Johnson - circa 1960, based on an image search. We used it as a safety on our 16' Skookum, and it got us out of several jams. It hasn't been used for some years, but has been stored indoors. I have no use for it now, and am wondering if anyone collects such things --...
  12. Eden Island

Chinook weight vs. length

On a recent trip to Queen Charlotte Strait, I had to release 2 chinook over 80 cm. I measured them for length - in the net, without lifting them out of the water - and later tried to find a chart for length vs. weight [I know the best estimates include girth, but I was trying to minimize fish...
  13. Eden Island

For Sale - 15" White Spoke 5-Bolt Trailer Wheel

Brand new [ok, 3 days old] - used as a spare until I could replace with one that matched my galvanized wheels. Canadian Tire sticker is still on the wheel. 15" x 6" wheel - no tire. $45 [I am in Victoria - hwallis@telus.net]
  14. Eden Island

Rockfish Conservation Areas now on Navionics charts

I like to fish the Broughtons, where it seems that many of the best fishing areas are in or near Rockfish Conservation Areas [RCA's]. When I upgraded my 1990s Lowrance in 2017, I was amazed at the charting, but disappointed that the charts didn't include the RCA's. After a bit of conversation...
  15. Eden Island

Rockfish Conservation Areas now on Navionics charts

I like to fish the Broughtons, where it seems that many of the best fishing areas are in or near Rockfish Conservation Areas [RCA's]. When I upgraded my 1990s Lowrance in 2017, I was amazed at the charting, but disappointed that the charts didn't include the RCA's. After a bit of conversation...
Back