Search results

1. Y

2020 Sooke Reports

Two springs at Muir today in heavy fog...still some around but definitely slower. No special tips...same as usual...just had to put time on the tac. One at 10am and the other around 11:30am. Chrome and both shy of 15 bs. Whales came thru in between fish. Saw 2 others caught but heavy fog and...
  2. Y

2019 Sooke Reports

Out with TheRock today....we finally moored in Sooke after over 6 years away (raising kids!). Great to be back. 2 springs, each just shy of 20lbs... Secretary, chovie and deep (90'). Tons of pinks...decent size. Kids out next week for first time fishing salmon. Good stuff!
  3. Y

2018 OFFICIAL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=211223&ID=all
  4. Y

Sockeye on the way

Just to add to Che's comment ~ sockeye are unique in that they jump on their sides and I'd agree it's one of the best ways to locate the schools. On the sounder you'll see that they travel in tight schools and often show up as long narrow patches. If you run 4 lines you don't really need dummy...
  5. Y

Herring feeding on herring

A great book ~ I have an old copy too. Interestingly on the East coast the collapse of the cod stocks meant a boom for the herring population and it was their large numbers that were theoretically eating all the juvenile cod and preventing a recovery.
  6. Y

Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Try fishing near the US border. Was hot today straight out from Secretary from 10:30 to 11:30. Huge bite on for wilds...few or no hatcheries but many of the wilds are pushing 10lbs. 90 to 60 feet with bait and spoons was hot but in the bite it didn't matter. Caught 2 on the surface behind the...
  7. Y

If you google myxobolus squamalis you will see there are no human health concerns. No need to overcook. Just treat it as you would any other fish.
  8. Y

Try Forsch Marine in Sidney when you get tired of dealing with SG. After years of overpaying and sub-par work at SG we now get our Yammy service done at Forsch.
  9. Y

NEW IN BOX Scotty 2106 High Performance Electric Downrigger

******NOW SOLD!!****** Great deal. Brand new, sealed in box. Lifetime warrenty. Scotty 2106 High Performance Electric Downrigger. Can't go wrong with this one! Sell your old one and upgrade. First $550 cash takes it. SORRY, SOLD IT! Includes: - 36" - 60" telescoping...
  10. Y

Downrigger Mounting Position - fore or aft

Why limit yourself?
  11. Y

We don't have the official results yet but you may be asking...where are all these coho coming from? I know I am. When have we seen so many coho in July? I was a kid when it was this good. Everyone is catching! There were a ton of guys fishing from shore too. What fun! Can we thank Canada...
  12. Y

Victoria Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Good effort on the butt! We hook them on salmon gear and sometimes we get them in but it's a lot tougher when they have a bad attitude like that one. !! Well the Rock and I moved our moorage from the inner harbour to Sooke today and got our limit in springs and coho by 11am on our trip...
  13. Y

Using Ande For Mainline?

I would suggest 40lb main line or heavier. I would also suggest heavy test for your leaders. It won't affect your success and it'll get more fish in the boat...especially the big ones that are so notorious for getting away. Really, you should never lose a fish to broken line but of course it...
  14. Y

44lb Chinook is among run of big fish caught off Comox

Published in the Comox Valley Echo...an interesting report! How's this for size? 44lb Chinook is among run of big fish caught off Comox Philip Round Comox Valley Echo Tuesday, July 10, 2012 When Steve Veloso guided his latest sport fishing visitor out of Comox Harbour on...
  15. Y

Bad etiquette unwritten rules on the water.......

In my opinion it is dangerous to travel inside the boats at OP. If everyone did that it would be a mess. Imagine multiple boats travelling in opposite directions in that tight corridor while trying to avoid each other with a fleet of boats to one side and shore to the other. Thankfully most...
  16. Y

Pulled a skunker in Oak Bay this am with the Rock. Pretty slow for us. Ugh. No sign of springs although one guy said he had 2. Landed a small butt though. Watched the search & rescue efforts and listened on Ch83 but the news is bleak for one young guy who capsized in a canoe last night. Can...
  17. Y

Was walking in the harbour at noon and saw a guide cleaning 3 small springs and a 22lb'r. He said he was fishing oak bay. A few fish around!
  18. Y

...yeah 110 to 125. But we battled some yellow bass at times at that depth.
  19. Y

Picked up a pair of 20's on Saturday with the Rock. One at the shack and one off the Head trolling backwards in that heavy flood. Both deep and both whites. Fun morning...but seemed a bit slow overall.
Back