Search results

1. D

Zebellos August 2024, What can you tell me about it?

Planning a trip to Zabellos for the first time. Have fished Tahsis, Nootka, Ukee, ... Zabellos seems to have a separate river feeding the inlet to Esperanza, and it looks closer to Pin Rock area than Tahsis, but is it really any shorter or any better? I have not done the drive in...
  2. D

Jelly Fish and the effect on Salmon aggressiveness

I have a good friend who had some mediocre results salmon fishing at Nootka Sound in the last couple of weeks. That said, he did better than the vast majority out there! As everyone knows, the sound is between 67 - 72 F depending on location. It is LOADED with Jelly fish, worse as you...
  3. D

Perpetual wet fuel tank???

Yesterday I pumped out the fuel tank, and as suspected, the "fuel" at the end, was very clear in colour. Seems to happen every few years. No matter if using sea foam, Isopropyl, fuel stabilizer, it happens. The tank has no leaks, but I get the feeling that leaving a part full...
  4. D

Sangster Boats, Anything to watch out for?

I am looking at what appears to be a 19 foot Sangster with an engine well for the outboard. It has an old Merc "tower of power" 115, which is blown, so it looks like a contender for a project boat. Have anyone on the Board ever done a tear down on a Sangster? I am expecting the...
  5. D

Spartan Aluminum Boats, Any Opinions???

Bass Pro / Cabellas is carrying a heavy gauge welded aluminium that is a house brand. I have looked at their Spartan line, and I am told it is welded in the same factory as Weldcraft. Trouble is, there does not seem to be alot of them being sold and very few reviews???? The finished...
  6. D

Welded Aluminum vs Rivetted Aluminum Hulls?

I have been looking at both, and in the context of Salt Water, it seems that most of the reputable builders go with a welded hull. It seems that many of the riveted hulls are nowhere near as heavy aluminum, which may explain the reason for rivets, but I am seeing lifetime no...
  7. D

Info on welded aluminum hulls at Ritchie Brothers Auction

I keep seeing welded aluminum UNFINISHED HULLS at the Chilliwack Ritchie Brothers Auction site. Does anybody know who is welding these hulls up? They may be seconds that did not pass Quality control somewhere, or it may be a shop that apparently can never finish a hull??? It...
  8. D

Sardines for Salmon!!!

A number of years ago there was a shortage of large Anchovies on the Island. I bought a bag of "north California Sardines" and took them along. They were a bit bigger than the biggest Anchovy but smaller than a large herring, and very round. They worked like dynamite that...
  9. D

how do you subdue an Octopus????

We went out with a guide out of Moutcha Bay for Halibut. Jimbo was a master and we boated 5 Hali near the upper end of the size limit. We also brought up an Octopus that fought like you cannot imagine. When we got it to the top, the "arms" were about 3 ish foot long, and I would...
  10. D

Bait situation on the Island this year!!!???

Can anyone tell me how the bait supplies are holding up? Will be there August 3 so hoping there is still stock at Nanimo. Hoping to get some larger Anchovie, which is always a challenge. Drewski
  11. D

U S Chinook Closures????

Hearing that California to Washington there are concerns of poor returns and sport closures??? Has anyone else heard this???
  12. D

Prince Rupert, Land of fishing Guides with Problems

Went for 3 days with an elderly friend. We were SUPPOSED to fish with "the man...". Got there, and low and behold, boat troubles, so we were put onto "that other guy". AND I SAID is it OK if I bring my tackle and gear? NO NO NO! we have everything,... except "we" did...
  13. D

Good Quality hull paint for aluminum boat

Looking at painting a boat in a "pearl white" color. Boat is presently bare aluminum. I thought about an automotive paint with clear coat, but am worried about the salt. also was considering doing a clear coat on the aluminum under the water line to slow oxidization. Any thoughts...
  14. D

Merc 150 4 Cylinder 4 Strokes

A season has now passed, so I am wondering if anyone has one of these new Mercs, and if they are all that Merc said that it would be. Its been pretty quiet on these motors from any reviews so far, which usually means no issues with failures, but I still do not have any real...
  15. D

Mouthca Bay!!

First trip to Nootka Sound in 1995 we stayed at Moutcha Bay. The Owner was going broke, the docks had rotting boards many painted, so slippery as he!!, the freezers were "off", the showers had no doors, etc.. What a difference. Just got back, and all I can say is wow. Big...
  16. D

Halibut documentation, what are you guys doing?

I have the download from DFO, and it seems a bit crazy. I'm supposed to keep a fillet and the spine and tail, at 95 CM??? My Cooler may not be long enough!!! Anyways, can a guy get a certified processor to vouch for the size of the fish and then cut it up, and if so, what...
  17. D

Vacuum test on Cylinders, WHY

Had the last Demons cast out of my rebuilt Johnson 120. It's a 92, but Compression on the rebuild was 130 - 135 so a good rebuild. Problems with idle and hard start were finally found in that one carb was rejetted improperly meaning one side would not idle, and a thermostat was leaking so...
  18. D

Springs showing on the Williamete and Columbia!!!

Had the pleasure of seeing Portland, Oregon, on the weekend. I was very impressed with the area. About 60 boats on Saturday fishing the Williamete in Portland. On a web search, Springs were open, 2 a day and a strong return. Columbia had been closed for recruitment monitoring...
  19. D

installing brakes on a trailer

I am looking at a boat in the US that has a trailer with no brakes. This is an Alumaweld Intruder 20 ft. It would be pretty near towing limit for no brakes and I expect over when loaded up. As such, it would seem that brakes should be installed. The question is, if there are backing...
  20. D

HELP!! (Before I do Something Stupid)

Been looking at a Duckworth Navigator Sport 20 ' It is not podded, and has a high splashwell. I do not want a pod. It can be built as a 25 inch transom, meaning XL shaft. Planning on the new Merc 150 4 stroke. Went to the dealer today and saw that while it is a 14 degree deadrise...
Back