Search results

1. D

Catching herring with cast net? News/details on spawn observations?

Lead line is only about 10 foot long which governs how deep the net can sink before it is pulled close by the line that threads on the outside of the net. Drewski
  2. D

Catching herring with cast net? News/details on spawn observations?

Thank you for directing me to this very informative video! I too have struggled with the technique for throwing an 8 foot cast net. The problem now is obvious. My Swimsuit does not ride up high enough on my buttocks!! What's that you say? This is a family show and I will get arrested...
  3. D

Zebellos August 2024, What can you tell me about it?

Planning a trip to Zabellos for the first time. Have fished Tahsis, Nootka, Ukee, ... Zabellos seems to have a separate river feeding the inlet to Esperanza, and it looks closer to Pin Rock area than Tahsis, but is it really any shorter or any better? I have not done the drive in...
  4. D

2023 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Is there another commercial opening for Moutcha Bay planned? Apparently only one opening so far. Anyone know how the commercial guys made out on their opening? Drewski
  5. D

Are these the large opal squid that you are finding spawning? They really are very large, and would be a good target for an aggressive fish, which may be the reason for the salmon taking them so deep. I wonder if you were to use a 5/0 circle hook on a buzz bomb or zinger ish jig, so...
  6. D

I agree, but are there any fishing reports? I cannot go this year and am living vicariously, until I am tempted enough to say to H#ll with work and jump in the Truck!!! Drewski
  7. D

Go to Moutcha bay and see the Gill Netters in action. The Boat is anchored with a line running from shore to the anchored boat. Choice spots are anchored on days before the opening. A Gill Netter actually explained to me the strategy of a net set from shore to the anchored boat on the...
  8. D

The Gill Netters usually have a series of openings depending on the Hatchery having sufficient Salmon in their holding area for the required egg / milt harvesting and further run forecast. Some years the 12 hour overnight openings have resulted in an average of 15 Chinook per boat, so hardly...
  9. D

Circle Hooks for Salmon Trolling?

Used to live in Florida where Circle hooks were mandatory for Billfish Tournaments. Bought a bunch of 5/0 stainless mustad and bent the barbs and never looked back. We use the Circle hooks on our spoons as well with great results. No problem with hookups, you will find. Just put a few...
  10. D

$17.50 a pack for Anchovies is a bit much compared to other years!!! You sure do not want to hit a school of dog fish at that price! Best of luck to everyone. We have ran a Gibbs Gator in army truck with great success in years past. Long leaders was the key (6 - 7 foot, or the span...
  11. D

Mono Leaders

Depending on what you are using the leaders for, you may want to switch to Florocarbon leaders. Much stiffer, and imparts a way better action to a hoochie or small spoon. If it is just for bottom fish, then mono is more cost effective and at depth visibility of the leader makes no...
  12. D

Aquaculture; improving????

Are there many U S Boats up at Nootka this year? The US Pacific Salmon Council closed commercial and most recreational salmon fishing from northern Oregon to California because of the forecast poor returns for 2023. Closures and poor fishing usually sees US fishermen in mass in Nootka and...
  13. D

Aluminum boat builders - why have they become so greedy???

The problem is that a Canadian Boat Builder can ship across the Border and take his $1.00 C dollar and get a $1.30 C Dollar in return. That is how bad our exchange rate is when you try and compete with US Buyers. The Canadian Costs really are a fraction compared to what the US has to pay...
  14. D

Jigging or Drift Fishing for Salmon

For terminal fisheries like off the mouth of the Big and Little Qualicum, etc, jig fishing with a Zinger or Buzz Bomb or a host of other jigs, will outfish the trolling crowd, even when there is little bait around. Nothing more annoying than seeing a 20 # ++ spring finning on the...
  15. D

Oil leak near tilt trim - Yamaha 150

If you have a deep enough container, set the part in CLR overnight so the bolt is submerged. CLR will tackle the corrosion. /then dry off and use some penetrating oil and work it back and forth. The Bolt is toast anyway, but save the threads on the housing. Drewski
  16. D

2022 Tofino Reports

I think you are holding a Coyote spoon in cop car with the glow strip there. There also is a flasher in the same pattern with the glow strip. Have used that with good results off of Friendly Cove when nothing else would work. If you really want to make that spoon hold fish, take off the...
  17. D

2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Larry has been battling kidney disease for years, and he STILL takes care of Tuta. Very tough old guy, and a true gentleman. Larry and his son took my son David and I out for Halibut many years back when my son was 12. David got to reel in most of the 30 - 40 pd Halibut, and some salmon...
  18. D

2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Nootka was tough last year later in August. ALOT of jellyfish basically shut down the inside. Fishing was better early in August, and the inside surface temperature was really high last year. However, if the fishing is bad, go see the Upana caves. Have been going there since 1996...
  19. D

Jelly Fish and the effect on Salmon aggressiveness

I have a good friend who had some mediocre results salmon fishing at Nootka Sound in the last couple of weeks. That said, he did better than the vast majority out there! As everyone knows, the sound is between 67 - 72 F depending on location. It is LOADED with Jelly fish, worse as you...
  20. D

2021 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Back from 3 days of fishing at Nootka and 1 day guided at Esperanza. The Guided day was to be Ling and Halibut. As we came around the double black markers it was clear that there was a problem as many boats headed for Sandstone Pt and the kelp beds were coming back in. Our Guide Ben was...
Back