Search results

1. Ghostprof

Billings Spit

Anyone still fishing Billings Spit? Thought we might get out for a last hurrah this weekend, but not if it's all done. Thanks in advance!
  2. Ghostprof

2020 Sooke Reports

Is the Sooke river still open for fishing? Or any other rivers in the area these days?
  3. Ghostprof

Night Fishing on the Breakwater?

So my wife and daughter went for a walk on the Ogden Point Breakwater last night around 8:00 and saw a couple of people fishing off it in the dark and fog. They seemed to just have lines in, not casting and retrieving. What could they be going for?
  4. Ghostprof

2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

UPDATE: nothing doing at Nile Creek after a couple of hours. Saw one jump and that's it. Up to Big Q above the hatchery with everyone else in Qualicum area, apparently. Got one out of there, but lots of frustration too.
  5. Ghostprof

2020 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Hoping for some shore coho today off Nile Creek and maybe the little Q estuary. Anyone fished the Big Q lately with flies?
  6. Ghostprof

Spots to shore fish/fly fish for salmon near Parksville?

Thanks -- we talked to them on the phone already and will definitely be going by there.
  7. Ghostprof

Spots to shore fish/fly fish for salmon near Parksville?

I'll be heading up to Parksville with my 11 year old son this coming weekend and we're wondering if there are any spots where people successfully fish from shore for salmon. The boy is mad about using his fly rod, but I'm down to cast buzz bombs or whatever. We had a blast at Billings Spit this...
  8. Ghostprof

Parksville area fishing

I will be heading up to Parksville next weekend with my 11 year old son, who is mad about fly fishing and basically fishing in general. We won't have a boat, but have enjoyed shore casting for salmon before, and dome a very little bit of river fishing. Are there any relatively accessible spots...
  9. Ghostprof

Sooke Salmon - Billing’s Spit / River

Oh yeah, an hour's fly fishing just above the bridge and nothing to show for it. We could see the fish schooling and circling, but they were NOT interested in what we had to offer.
  10. Ghostprof

Sooke Salmon - Billing’s Spit / River

Just posted in the Sooke report, but here's the gist -- we were out on Billings today for three hours and saw only four fish taken (plus one chum we got). It was crowded but everyone was being good and behaving, especially in those cases where someone managed to hook something. And whoever it...
  11. Ghostprof

2020 Sooke Reports

Nice fun day at Billings Spit today, though only one chum to show for it. Kind of crowded out there, but everyone was cooperative and kind so no big hassles. It wasn't exactly popping -- we were there for three hours and saw maybe four fish caught. And to the guy who seems to be a regular there...
  12. Ghostprof

2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

So where are the coho at these days? Still looking at shipping lanes off Clover Point?
  13. Ghostprof

Sounds like an awesome time! Heading out tomorrow with my son, and hoping for just a fraction of that kind of action!
  14. Ghostprof

Oh, we're on it. The boy got up yesterday asking if we could go out fishing again. And he's got us planned for both days next weekend, plus after school outings all week long. For better or ill, we'll likely only get one more day in before switching to winter springs. Speaking of which, do we...
  15. Ghostprof

We got one 16 lbs (35" long) and one 18 lbs (36" long). I still smell like Butt Juice, though! :D
  16. Ghostprof

We did it! It's not much to most of you, I know, but we finally got a couple of nice big keeper Lings yesterday. I think tinboatrobb must have blessed us. We also got a fierce-fighting cabazon and a couple others (rockfish, kelp greenlings). Great day out with my son!
  17. Ghostprof

Any coho off OB, flats, waterfront? Or do I really have to haul all the way out to Sooke for some good eating?
  18. Ghostprof

Thanks -- that confirms that it's not so much that we're doing things wrong. It's just fishing. Or, as we've taken to calling it, "wishing." ;-)