Anchoring at Degnen Bay, Gabriola Island

the butcher

As sad as it may be, I've never did an overnight trip in my cuddy. Over the next week or 2, I am planning on heading over to Gabriola for some sight seeing, cruising, and a bit of fishing. Was planning on dropping anchor in Degnen Bay but have never been to Degnen bay nor have I dropped anchor overnight. Definatley nervous and anxious about this but I am sure it will be an amazing experience. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like there? Is it usually full and busy with boats/sail boats anchoring? It looks to be fairly protected. Anything to watch out for? Are there any public mooring buoys that I can tie up to? If there are that would alleviate a lot of stress and anxiety. I have a decent sized danforth with chain and sufficient rode. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Going to my young one with me so I'd like it to be a fun and safe experience for us. thanks in advance.

As sad as it may be, I've never did an overnight trip in my cuddy. Over the next week or 2, I am planning on heading over to Gabriola for some sight seeing, cruising, and a bit of fishing. Was planning on dropping anchor in Degnen Bay but have never been to Degnen bay nor have I dropped anchor overnight. Definatley nervous and anxious about this but I am sure it will be an amazing experience. Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like there? Is it usually full and busy with boats/sail boats anchoring? It looks to be fairly protected. Anything to watch out for? Are there any public mooring buoys that I can tie up to? If there are that would alleviate a lot of stress and anxiety. I have a decent sized danforth with chain and sufficient rode. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Going to my young one with me so I'd like it to be a fun and safe experience for us. thanks in advance.
I have anchored in Degnen Bay but it's not ideal. The inner part of the Bay is plugged with private mooring buoys so you will likely have to anchor in the entrance. It can also get windy in there. Even though it's busy, I prefer Silva Bay and it's often possible to tie up at a marina, if you like. It's fairly sheltered, has a decent bottom and it's easy to get to shore for a walk or sightseeing or shopping, if you need to. As with any summer anchoring, get in early for the best choice of spots. The forum has several threads on anchoring procedures so have a look at those, too. If you have good anchoring equipment and a decent bottom it's not hard to do.

https://www.pacificyachting.com/gunkholing-gabriola-island/

Back