Boat Window Glass What the hell is on there and how do I get off

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hi guys

My windows have this strange coating on them. It looks like somebody sprayed them with some kind of wax which left behind a residue that looks like rain drops. At first it thought it was the tint on the glass but recently I noticed the windshield wipers have worn though to reveal spotless glass. So today I tried to get it off the back window.

I tried

heavy duty glass cleaner
Vim
Acetone
Car head light restorer
Magic eraser

all did nothing to this stuff

finally I tried 3m heavy oxidizer remover and after about 2hours of polishing by hand I got most of it off the first 2x2 foot window.

anybody have any idea what might have been sprayed on the glass to make such an impenetrable coating? Any ideas on what else to try to get it off?

I've had good luck using lacquer thinner in a spray bottle on most cleaning applications. Just don't breathe in too much and be careful what you get it on.

A new one.
As a commercial glazier, I would advise against the razor blade. So many little scratches that will become very relevant when the sunlight hits it. We’ve had some cleaners cost the building owners hundreds of thousands of dollars because they cleaned with razor blades

As a commercial glazier, I would advise against the razor blade. So many little scratches that will become very relevant when the sunlight hits it. We’ve had some cleaners cost the building owners hundreds of thousands of dollars because they cleaned with razor blades
Commercial cleaners rarely change blades though, they use ones with nicks or burrs in them and ruin the glass surface. I would try a new one in a holder starting in a corner with some foam glass cleaner as lubricant. Check it out after doing a few square inches. I am also a Glazier/former Glazier.

Hey I forgot this one!

We use this to clean glass at the cabin.

I little bit of fireplace ash, mixed with a little water. Best glass cleaner I've ever used.
Newspaper works well too, just fold into a square and rub the surface.
I'm NOT a glazier, just play one on TV

BA DUM CHHHH!

Commercial cleaners rarely change blades though, they use ones with nicks or burrs in them and ruin the glass surface. I would try a new one in a holder starting in a corner with some foam glass cleaner as lubricant. Check it out after doing a few square inches. I am also a Glazier/former Glazier.
Yeah we don’t really clean glass too often. I meant the cleaning crew at the end of a job. They all use razor blades and if it’s reflective glass, it’s toast.
Just gotta be careful but I find scratches in boat windshields are very apparent with sun hitting the glass at all different angles

Yeah we don’t really clean glass too often. I meant the cleaning crew at the end of a job. They all use razor blades and if it’s reflective glass, it’s toast.
Just gotta be careful but I find scratches in boat windshields are very apparent with sun hitting the glass at all different angles
I refer to the commercial cleaners, not commercial Glaziers. You guys are awesome. Reflective glass is ruined with scratches for sure.

Last edited:
I think someone on here recommended 0000 fine steel wool for cleaning tempered glass.
I tried that on my truck for some overspray and it worked like a charm.

Sounds like hard water spots.
I have heard that Bar Keepers friend is supposed to do the trick.

I have some spots too .......... and bar keepers friend. I may have some time to try it later today and will report back.

Back