2020 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had
Landed and released a beauty 15-17lb Chinook at the pinnacles on the east side of coal today, successful release, was on a coho killer Weegee at 65’ in 90’ of water, had a good pin popper/ hit yesterday at the same spot aswell! Tons of bait around lately
Had a nice spring there today as well. Kids got bored so couldn’t stay long.

upload_2020-7-10_21-0-32.png AF053ABC-7EA1-44E3-B637-608C8BFD4A96.jpeg Had a great day on the water today. Main goal was to catch some crab and get some lines wet while we wait for the traps to soak. Went over to Fairfax and hooked into these two beauties. Both were between 10-12Lbs. My buddy got his at 87ft on the rigger and my wife hooked hers sitting pretty at 120 on the down rigger. Both were caught on the east side of Fairfax between the south point heading north in 130ft of water. The two springs were a bounce as we also got 8 keeper crab from the spit. Good day on Sidney’s waters.

Anyone finding any Coho in our area? Haven’t given them much of a shot since they closed the Bluffs

I spent the weekend on the hook at Winter Cove by Saturna. I fished Saturday afternoon on the east side of Saturna trying to target Coho offshore but no luck. A few small Springs but no Coho action. I was astounded at all of the boats (most were 16 - 18 foot runabouts with 3 or 4 people on board) jigging in the RCA. Seemed like most of them were coming and going to and from the mainland.

Would have love to see some enforcement out there.

I spent the weekend on the hook at Winter Cove by Saturna. I fished Saturday afternoon on the east side of Saturna trying to target Coho offshore but no luck. A few small Springs but no Coho action. I was astounded at all of the boats (most were 16 - 18 foot runabouts with 3 or 4 people on board) jigging in the RCA. Seemed like most of them were coming and going to and from the mainland.

Would have love to see some enforcement out there.
did you call it it in to report it?

View attachment 54717 View attachment 54719 Had a great day on the water today. Main goal was to catch some crab and get some lines wet while we wait for the traps to soak. Went over to Fairfax and hooked into these two beauties. Both were between 10-12Lbs. My buddy got his at 87ft on the rigger and my wife hooked hers sitting pretty at 120 on the down rigger. Both were caught on the east side of Fairfax between the south point heading north in 130ft of water. The two springs were a bounce as we also got 8 keeper crab from the spit. Good day on Sidney’s waters.

I thought catch and release meant we had to get the salmon back in the water as soon as possible. Weighing a fish and taking a picture of it doesn't sound like good catch and release practice since I am sure it negatively impacts mortality rates of released fish. Any other anglers on this forum have thoughts on this practice (taking a pic prior to releasing?)? I guess I could see it if it were a 30 pounder, but for a run of the mill 12 pounder?

I thought catch and release meant we had to get the salmon back in the water as soon as possible. Weighing a fish and taking a picture of it doesn't sound like good catch and release practice since I am sure it negatively impacts mortality rates of released fish. Any other anglers on this forum have thoughts on this practice (taking a pic prior to releasing?)? I guess I could see it if it were a 30 pounder, but for a run of the mill 12 pounder?

The practice is not illegal, but the consensus on here is that it's unnecessary and not good for the fish. This is a hot button topic and it gets discussed often. Best to have another thread....this is for fishing reports! Hopefully we get some pics of 79.9cm chinooks on Aug 1 for the Sidney area!!

Last edited:
The practice is not illegal, but the consensus on here is that it's unnecessary and not good for the fish. This is a hot button topic and it gets discussed often. Best to have another thread....this is for fishing reports! Hopefully we get some pics of 79.9cm chinooks today!!
Not here :( Looks like we're (Sidney) is still closed until Aug 1...
Update: Oh nope! We're a go!

Strait of Georgia – South and Juan de Fuca - Areas 18 and 19 (excluding Subarea 19-2 which is closed to all fishing activities), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, Area 28 and
Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in the section below), and Subarea 29-8:

Immediately to 23:59 hours July 31: Chinook non-retention;
00:01 hours August 1 to 23:59 hours August 31: 1 Chinook per day with a maximum size limit of 80 cm on marked and unmarked Chinook.
00:01 hours September 1 to 23:59 hours December 31: 2 Chinook per day.

Yea not till aug 1st. Unfortunately but small
Run up to area 17 could have some luck.
Going to moor in Sooke for the next two months - saves some motor hours trying to find the fish.

Late report: Out jigging around Coal Island on Monday at low slack. Lots of bait and fish around. Got into two large fish but lost one and the other broke the line (felt dog-fishy as the leader was very beat up). Better half caught a cabezon with a dogfish attached, which then released at the boat with the cabezon's back 1/3.

First fish in the new boat. Just looking to dial everything in and get used to the new platform. Took a run down James Island past Powder Wharf this morning. Ran around Sidney Island to Hamley and C&R'd an 8 -10 pound hatchery Spring. First time running the high speed Scotty riggers. Loved em. View attachment 54494View attachment 54495

Beauty day only spoiled by the commercial prawner who either stole or more likely dropped his string exactly on top of my prawn set off of Moresby. His set was exactly where my GPS mark was (as in within 15 feet). I had lots of weight on my set so no way that it drifted. Aggravating to say the least.

Thanks for the pic of the new boat underway from @advTHXance
Nice boat. Congrats

Hunted for salmon today from 10-4. Saw the odd salmon jump, however no schools of fish were found on the sounder. We searched Fairfax, Coal, Mandarte and the Spit. We did get a good lingcod bite going in the kelp and I lost what would have been a big one at the surface. The dogfish were present but not obnoxiously so. However one did grab my jig on the drop and ran with it for 100' before I realized what happened.
High point of the day was watching a seal dismember and eat an octopus with tentacles as thick as my forearms.

Hunted for salmon today from 10-4. Saw the odd salmon jump, however no schools of fish were found on the sounder. We searched Fairfax, Coal, Mandarte and the Spit. We did get a good lingcod bite going in the kelp and I lost what would have been a big one at the surface. The dogfish were present but not obnoxiously so. However one did grab my jig on the drop and ran with it for 100' before I realized what happened.
High point of the day was watching a seal dismember and eat an octopus with tentacles as thick as my forearms.
Looks like you had a great day out there.

Hello - I have never fished in the Sidney are before but will be there in the 2nd week of August. Just wondering if worthwhile to bring prawn traps along? Not asking for specific areas (but don't mind if you want to share :)). Just wondering if the effort is worth it this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back